Do you ever feel discouraged?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2010, 09:29 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Do you have times when you feel discouraged about breastfeeding and supplementing? Is there anything in particular that brings that on? How do you keep yourself motivated to continue?

I've been feeling kind of down about breastfeeding for the last 2-3 days. My supply seemed to dip Sunday and Monday and I can't really figure out why other than being busier than usual on Saturday. So maybe it was stress or I didn't stay hydrated. I think I would have given up by now if I didn't absolutely love BFing my son, it's such a great bonding time for us. Plus I want him to get the health benefits too.

October 28th, 2010, 08:43 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Yes, I totally get that. This has not been the way I had hoped for. I just keep plugging along. It's been so much harder on me having to supplement. Every time I see my supply go up I start feeling better, but when it dips at all I feel like giving up. I am really glad to be able to come over here for support. A lot of people make a lot of stupid assumptions about people supplementing. The biggest one is that your supply sucks because you are supplementing not realizing that you are supplementing because your supply sucks. Anyhow, having a better day today than I was yesterday. I hope you are too.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 28th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Veteran
Totally with you ladies! It's definately been very difficult. But I love BF'ing my son so I keep on truckin Hope you ladies are doing better today!

October 29th, 2010, 04:52 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Yes, today has been better for me. Thankfully it seems to be on the way back up and I've been nursing him like crazy the last 2 days. I agree with Teresa, supplementing feels like a necessary evil at this point and I imagine it does for most women who want to exclusively BF. Not to say that formula is evil, obviously not because my kid would be pretty dang hungry without it. But because on the one hand it has to be used but on the other it's so easy to set yourself back without even meaning to!

I hope you ladies are doing better as well and have a great Halloween weekend!

November 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Super Mommy
I wish I'd come to this forum months ago. Been struggling with BFing since my son was 4 days old. He will be 10 mos next week and my supply has just DROPPED. I really wanted to make it a year but I'm only getting 2oz a pump, so it takes 2 pumps to get one bottle and I feel SOOOO discouraged. Now I just hope I can hang on until Thanksgiving.

One minute I'm okay with it and telling myself we are hitting a HUGE milestone for going 10 mos and the next minute I'm sobbing and feel like a total failure. And it doesn't help that I have women in my personal life who have THRIVED at bfing exclusively. My SIL is nursing her 3rd baby who is 11mos and she is gushing milk and works full time (always complaing about her breasts leaking and has a freezer full of milk. I've never leaked once this entire year) and my best friend has a 9 mo old and she has a ridiculously healthy supply of milk. And here I sit with my 2oz every 6 hours and I get so depressed. He's too busy & distracted to sit on my breast anymore for more than 10 seconds during the day so I HAVE to pump to keep supply up. But finding time is almost impossible b/c my baby is SO active, so I can only pump when he naps.

I just cant bring myself to quit entirely though. Even if he gets 2 short nursing sessions and 1-2 full bottles a day, I feel like its better than nothing. I don't know why I still do this but I just can't bring myself to do formula full time.

I feel like this past year has been such a letdown as I had dreams of BF exclusively for a year and I fought every day NOT to supplement. Some days I was successful others not so much. Then I keep losing weight which isn't helping...some women would love to be a size 2 again after baby but I feel like my smaller frame and not having an ounce of fat left on me is affecting my supply. I never had enough milk to get a reserve supply going, never leaked, never had an ounce more than I needed. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on fenugreek, lactation consultant, rented a symphony since January, drank a thousand gallons of water etc. And I always felt like a failure. I would get so upset by BF forums who suggested I NOT give him any formula, try harder to nurse more (for a baby who would stay on my breast for an hour or 90 min straight and still cry that he was hungry this seemed impossible) or that I hadnt tried hard enough. NO ONE tried hard to BF exclusively more than I did.

So, the long answer to your short question is YES, I feel very discouraged often. But I'm here. And he's healthy -- never been sick a day in 10 months. And still making milk...although a tiny amt, it's still there!!
November 18th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Khara
momtobeau- wow, congratulations making it as long as you have! I had to supplement both my boys... the first one I gave up very quickly on breastfeeding and the second one I tried so hard to exclusively breastfeed just as you did. Same situation: he'd be bf'ing for hours on end and still be screaming that he was hungry. I kept being told that I just needed to keep it up, etc but eventually the lactaction consultant said I just don't make enough milk and I should supplement. I was broken hearted... it was not long after that he was on formula only. So I think you guys are awesome for keeping it up as long as you can. I'm pregnant again with the 3rd and plan to bf as long as I can, even if I have to supplement again, which I most likely will, I will try to continue the bf too. It is so hard as it's tempting to just switch only to formula.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search