Question....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2010, 06:52 AM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies, I'm dropping in from the Jan. DDC with a question....

I would like to BF my child as much as possible but will return to work after 6 weeks of maternity leave. I really want to exclusively BF during the first few weeks and then start getting him used to taking formula and a bottle as well. My work schedule is crazy and I won't be able to pump while at work, which I know diminishes your supply. My question is, if I do not pump while at work is it possible to still have enough milk to BF during the rest of the time? (evenings, nights, weekends...) Basically, just giving him formula while I'm at work and on an "as needed" basis the rest of the time.

I asked this question in my DDC but only got a few responses and really didn't get my question answered. I hope you ladies can help.....

special thanks to BAM for the awesome siggy!
]
November 1st, 2010, 08:43 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Do you think you could pump once at work? You may be able to supplement and breastfeed at home, but if you could get in even one midday pumping that would be ideal. The issue is mostly keeping your supply up and that's a long time to go without pumping. The other thing you can try is reverse cycling. That is where you nurse more at night than in the day time.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 2nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Hi! I agree with Teresa, if you could even get one pumping session in that would help tremendously. Milk is produced on a supply and demand basis, and the longer you go without pumping or nursing the less milk your body is going to produce overall. Also, it seems to me that by nursing frequently when you are home with your baby, you may have some engorgement issues while at work (at least initially) because your body still thinks you're feeding him on that frequent schedule.

Honestly I don't know if you would have enough milk or not, it depends a lot on how much you produce in the first place. If you have low milk supply (like some of us here) then it's unlikely that you'd have enough for him if you're going all day long without feeding or pumping. But if you have a large supply then it might be possible, though not an ideal situation.

Welcome to the board! Stick around and feel free to ask any other questions you may have!

November 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Super Mommy
Agree with PP it totally depends on your supply. I always had low supply -- I'm small framed size A cup boobs and my baby is big, 100 %-tile and i never had enough. However, my girlfriend has healthy B cup breasts and sometiems can't pump at work and it does not effect her one bit. SOme days she leaves work and can pump 8oz from each side!! God I'm so jealous of that So, it really just depends on how your body responds to it all but I guess its possible. Wouldn't have worked for me though! I have to get one or two pumps in a day between morning and night feedings.
December 6th, 2010, 07:20 PM
missy11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
have a friend who does this and her body seemed to adjust and she has more milk at night and bf only at night with formula durring the day

[IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search