spitting up/vomitting

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2011, 03:39 PM
Super Mommy
My baby is almost exclusively on breast milk (she is 4 weeks but a preemie). She takes to breast and bottle back and forth with no rhyme or reason. We have added a little (.5 oz) formula to 2 ounces breast milk in some of her bottle because with mastitis my supply went down and I had to stretch my milk out (I have over 300 oz in the freezer but want to save them). Anyway, she has been spitting up A LOT some of her feedings. Last night she projectile vomited twice (two different feedings). The first time was about 1/2 ounce to an ounce and the second time it was almost a whole bottle and she was screaming she was hungry again. I am wondering if it could be the formula or.....the other problem I am having is I have a HUGE oversupply and overactive let down. When she does nurse it comes out so fast. I have tried pumping a little before she starts so I'm not so full and nursing in a recline position, doesn't matter she is still drowning in milk. When she eats a bottle she gulps it down so fast. So, I am thinking it's her eating too fast... my MIL fed her two times yesterday and stopped to burp her 2-3 times in the feeding and she didn't spit up or vomit at all. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks ladies!

February 22nd, 2011, 05:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you notice her spitting up more from the breast or more from the bottle, or about the same? Have you tried to pull her off and burp her when she's nursing? I used to have to do this with my dd (i had an oversupply at first too). Also, how much is she eating in a feeding (when its bottle - obviously you don't know for sure when she's on the breast)? My dd (also a preemie) spit up/puked LOTS AND LOTS!!!! She had reflux and has been on meds for it since she was 3 weeks old, but even with the meds she threw up more than you can imagine. She was a "happy puker" so it was never a big concern. As long as she's happy and gaining weight, then don't worry about it. If she seems uncomfortable, try burping her more often and maybe talk to the doctor about reflux. Its pretty common in preemies.

*thank you meddleman (magda) for my siggy!*

February 23rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board!

It could be a number of things going on. If the feed your MIL gave her included formula as well as BM then it seems that the formula may not be the problem. It could well be her eating too fast.

Are you using the softest teats on the bottles? Make sure you are using the lowest flow so that she is not able to take too much in one go. Natasha used to do this when she was a baby too and I used to have to stop often to burp her during feeds. She was never a big burper really but it gave an excuse to stop her drinking too much, too quickly.

You may want to try some different bottles in case she gets on better with another kind in which the flow isn't as fast, or trying a 'little and often' approach, smaller feedings but more often, for a little while.

Good luck, and please let us know how you get on!

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search