Breastfeeding & Pacifiers- Help!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM
365seasons's Avatar Veteran
Hello ladies,
I only nursed my older son for 6 weeks and ended up bottle feeding him because he was constantly on the boob. We never gave him a pacifier.
My newborn will be a month on Saturday and I'm having the same issues with him, he wants to graze ALL day long, and he rarely gets a good solid feed in. It's tiring as I'm trying to keep up with my toddler, and it's hard to do when I'm sitting on the couch nursing 24/7.
I was thinking that maybe if I introduced him to a pacifier, he'd be able to suck still, and then when I did nurse, he'd have a proper feed, and therefore we'd have more time in between feedings, with better feedings.
I'm super nervous that it will jeopardize our breastfeeding though, and I'm hellbent on nursing him until a year if I can!

ANY input would be wonderful. Did any moms have the same problem? Did a pacifier help? Am I being paranoid thinking it may ruin our breastfeeding?
PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks in advance.
April 28th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i don't know what the "right" answer is, but i gave my youngest a pacifier at a few days old too because that's how he was & it was impossible for me to keep up w/ the 2 year olds (i also have given him a bottle on occasion too w/o an issue).

what i can tell you from my experience is that a pacifier didn't cause an issue at all with nursing for me. we only recently started having any problems & it has nothing to do with the pacifier. IMHO a baby is smart - s/he knows what is going to give him food. boob- YES!! bottle - YES!! pacifier - ummm....NOPE!

good luck & keep us posted!

May 2nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
365seasons's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the advice!! I've got an appointment with the breastfeeding clinic in 2 weeks so I'm TRYING to hold out until then. By then he will be 6 weeks as well.
I'm just so paranoid to screw up BFing this time!
May 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i know. i was too because i didn't get a chance to BF the twins for long. they were preemies & i didn't get to even try until they were about 2 weeks old & then we had major latch problems. i pumped for them for 4 months, but i really wanted to make it work this time. i've been setting (and passing ) mini goals - 2 wks, 6wks, 3 months. next up....6 month goal.

i felt like such a HUGE failure w/ the twins (oh the guilt!!) so this time i am trying to be easier on myself.

May 3rd, 2011, 05:25 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think there IS a "right" answer to this!

My pediatrician told me to nurse him no more than 12 min on each side, that he will get ALL he needs that way. That worked for me during the early stages. However, when I posted that in my PR, they all thought my ped was nuts. Each mother has different needs as well as baby!

We introduced the paci while he was still in the hospital. He had no confusion at all. He knew that was the paci, and he knew what was food - so he was good.

I could not do the nursing all day long thing like alot of my ddc friends did! Kudos to them, just couldn't do it! Today - Michael gets EBM, BF, and FF (90% BM, 10% FF) that is what worked for us

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search