need advice from bfing moms for back to work stash...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2011, 05:29 PM
aprilmommy's Avatar Veteran
Hello everyone, i'm from the april 11 playroom and need some advice from all you btdt bfing moms. My baby is 6 weeks old. he has been ebfing since birth. He eats about every 2-3 hours during the day and 4-5 hrs at night. I am pumping 2 times a day and storing about 8 ounce each day in the deep freezer. I now have about 100 oz. saved. Occasionally I feed my LO pumped milk from a bottle and he usually takes about 4-5 oz. per feeding. He weighs about 11 lbs. now. I am going back to work when he is 4 months old and I want to have enough stored breastmilk to feed him for at least 2 months to get him to the 6 month mark. I do not know if I will be able to pump at work because of time issues. So I will have to have enough stored to get him through at least 2 months of feedings 2 times a day. I am thinking he will need to eat twice in 8 hours that I am at work? I dont really know how much a 4 month old drinks. Also, if I am not able to pump at work and I have to go 8-10 hours each day without pumping or feeding will i still be able to bf at night and on weekends? Should I go ahead and start supplementing with formula? Do I need to pump more now to have a big enough stash? sorry this is so long. Thanks for your advice. I would love for him never to have any formula but know it might be necessary. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

May 26th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
hi and congrats on your baby boy!

i don't think you need to start supplementing now, unless you would like to of course. my LO is 5 1/2 months old and takes about 6 oz when he drinks a bottle and he's eating every 3-4 hours. but he is kinda small (thinking he may have just hit about 13lbs). to be safe i would probably figure noah is going to eat about 3 times during your work hours.

i'm no expert, but i do think that not pumping at work will affect your supply. it's all about supply & demand, and your body will adjust to how much is "requested". on the same hand, even if you don't pump during the day you should still be able to BF when you are home in the evenings since your body will be used to it. does that make sense?

you've got a great start on your stash, but i would keep pumping! if you figure 3 feedings a day x 6oz a feed x 5 days a week = 90oz a week.

sorry i'm all over the place here! i'm kinda tired, but i hope at least some of it makes sense! good luck & KUP

May 27th, 2011, 07:18 AM
aprilmommy's Avatar Veteran
I've heard that he may eat between 5 and 8oz per feed by then, but there is really no way to know. What you are saying makes since. I'm hoping I can continue to breastfeed at home when I am not working even though I won't be able to feed him or pump during the work days. I guess I will just try to put back as much milk as I can until then. I am thinking I will need anywhere between 600 and 1000 ounces. So I have alot of pumping ahead of me thanks for the advice!!!!!!!

May 29th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
you may even find he tries to make up for those missed feeds when you get home. Maybe when you get home you could try and get 2 or 3 good feeds in before he goes to sleep, even if they are close together

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search