Hope ya'll don't mind...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Super Mommy
I am a new mommy-to-be due in November and no one in my immediate family or SO immediate family BF any of their babies. I am just hoping to lurk around enough that I can find out more info on BF and supplementing (MIL says "OMG YOU CAN'T DO THAT IT IS ONE OR THE OTHER" however she doesnt want me to BF because then she cant feed the baby? She is a little psycho)

So anywho, hope you gals don't mind!
June 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your little baby bean! Something to think about: if you're supplementing formula and also trying to BF right from the beginning it may be difficult to establish a good milk supply unless you pump for every feeding that your LO gets supplemented. It's important for babies to nurse, nurse, nurse, especially in the beginning. If you want to exclusively BF, I wouldn't let your family history or MIL keep you from doing it.
June 6th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany8620 View Post
Congrats on your little baby bean! Something to think about: if you're supplementing formula and also trying to BF right from the beginning it may be difficult to establish a good milk supply unless you pump for every feeding that your LO gets supplemented. It's important for babies to nurse, nurse, nurse, especially in the beginning. If you want to exclusively BF, I wouldn't let your family history or MIL keep you from doing it.
Congratulations - and I couldn't agree more! Try not to let other's influence you. My doctor had me start with the supplementing, when my son lost a pound in the hospital, and had jaundice. I decided I liked the comfort of being able to supplement, and knew that I could still BF, and pump. Some times on the weekend, he will get a few bottles of formula, if I'm out and about (Not very good at nursing in public!) - and during the week my sitters give him mostly EBM (expressed breast milk), but I like knowing that if they run out - they can supplement.

You can absoultley do both - as you can see, its done all the time. Check with your pediatrician - and all you would have to tell your MIL - is "the doctor says I can"...

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
June 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you ladies. Yeah, that whole MIL thing...everyone has them...she kind of reminds me of a pimple on your butt...annoying yet always there!

But thank you for the good advice. I didn't even think about the supply issue when supplementing. I guess I just thought it was always there!
June 6th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Another thought is too - if you want the bottles - you can always pump too! You'll see what works best for you - I planned to Exclusively breast feed, and once I had the issues - realized that it obviously wasn't working out that way. I flipped out when they said my baby wasn't eating enough! Although - I know someone else here on JM that had the same issue I did - and pushed through it - and it all worked out great for her - and she still EBF's today.

There are so many options! But yes - I was advised that anytime I supplemented, if possible, let someone else give the bottle, so you can pump at the same time. It worked out great for me.

There is a pumping mamas board too that I frequent - and lots of good advice there also!

Its so hard to not let others influence your decision - but it really is your decision, and whichever you make - is the right one for you and baby. Good luck!

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search