Need feedback on supplementing 1 formula bottle!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Hi,
I'm currently exclusively breastfeeding my 8 week old. However her father would like to start giving her 1 bottle a night. I wondered if giving her similac formula would be ok? Just for that one bottle, since pumping hasn't come easily to me.
I guess I just need some feedback because I hadn't wanted to give her formula in the beginning but maybe I'm being to hard on myself and giving her 1 formula bottle a night won't be the end all.lol

Thank you,
Melissa
October 25th, 2011, 06:11 AM
ashley5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Since your bfing, having the daddy give the little one a bottle is a great idea since your LO is already 8wks old. But I dont recommend skipping a feeding session. If daddy gives LO a bottle I would pump during that time, other wise it will affect your milk supply.
February 3rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I'd agree you should figure out how to pump during that session.
But a fair warning is that your baby probably doesn't eat as much breast milk as she will formula.
We had to supplement with our daughter at birth bc I couldn't get her to latch and my milk wasn't ample enough.
She needed more formula than breast milk although the formula stayed in her longer.
I'm just now getting her to 100% breast milk.
I decided to stop using any formula bc she started getting stomach issues.
If its just one bottle a night, you could just use a manual pump to do one bottle worth?
I pump enough for the whole night myself and have the bottles in the fridge ready for dh. He gets up with her and feeds mostly and I pump while he does that.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search