Which is better? (X-posted)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding and Supplementing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My babe has been ebf for over 7 months now.
He began daycare in January at which time I had an entire freezer full of milk to send. Just yesterday I was going through the freezer and was shocked to find that there is enough milk in there to last maybe until the end of this month.
I do pump at work each day so can continue to provide enough for 1 bottle at daycare, but it's only 2-10 oz(depends on the day). So that leads me to my question...

Would it be better for me to let them give him formula or food?

I was thinking formula because it is made just for babies and has a lot of vitimins and minerals. My husband says he'd rather food because of our baby's age-he's also anti-formula for a bunch of reasons. I'm worried that since they only give 1 type of food at a time, the baby will be missing several important nutrients.

If this was your situation, which would you pick for your baby and why?

btw: I still plan to nurse him when able, the formula or food is strictly for daycare. Also I will not use doner milk for reasons that I'd rather not get into in this thread.
March 19th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Rae-of-Sunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How long is he at daycare everyday? If it is just a half a day or something and you nurse him before and after, then I would be fine with just saying food, especially if they had a little of the milk you do have frozen there as a back up if he needed it. If he is gone all day though, he is going to need something to drink as well.

I am not opposed to formula at all, but I didn't have much choice in it either. Mine were about 90% bm until I went back to work and it has slowly gone down since then to where they are now probably each 50/50 bm/formula. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving formula if that is what the situation calls for. If your DH is very against it though, you may also try some ways to up the amount of milk you have. I don't know if you little one is feeding at night anymore, but if not or not for a while into the night, try pumping again just before you go to bed. I pump as the last thing I do before bed and also in the morning right after I feed them and before I go to work. These two pumping sessions helped me keep up as much milk as I do have. Just a thought.

Psalm 139:9-10
]
March 20th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the advice, I can try adding another pumping session.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search