Diagnosis question

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Regular
Hi everybody! I'm a newbie and I have a question for all of you moms who've been through this. My little boy is 6, and I'm worried that he might have diabetes. It seems to me that he has to go to the bathroom a lot and that he's always asking for a drink. I'm just wondering how severe these two symptoms are when a person has diabetes. I read one post where one of you said your son was so thirsty he was drinking out of the sink.

I hope I don't sound stupid; I know that you all are going through the real thing. I'm just really worried, and with this being the beginning of the holiday weekend, our doctor isn't in. I was just at the mall with my son, and as soon as we walked in, he had to go to the bathroom, and then about 30 mins. later he had to go again. That's what made me start to think and worry that maybe it could be diabetes.

So I guess my question is, how severe are these two symptoms, and what other symptoms did you notice with your children, and how severe were they?

Thanks for any info you can give me!
December 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Those were the only symptoms my son really had when he was diagnosed. Having to go to the bathroom within 30 minutes would raise a big red flag for me too. You can actually buy glucose urine strips over the counter to test your urine. I would schedule him for a doctor's appointment either way, but if you are really worried you can buy glucose urine test strips over the counter and do an unofficial screening at home. It won't tell you if he doesn't have it, but it might give you some peace of mind until you can get in to see a doctor. Just ask the pharmacist where they are and make sure they get glucose and not ketone strips. You should not have glucose in your urine.

Here's a good article on signs and symptoms of diabetes that you might want to take a look at.

juvenile diabetes article

Hope that helps and hugs to you.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 22nd, 2005, 09:32 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
If it is diabetes...he will be peeing A LOT. Getting up at night to go, when he never did before---or having accidents in the night, when he previously did not. I remember my daughter being so thirsty the night before the fasting blood test (she was 3) she was begging for me to give her even water, when she previously would never drink water. If he seems to be going an unusual amount, I would make an appointment to have him checked....it may just be urinary tract infection, or a fluke...but it is something worth checking out...it is much better to avoid DKA if possible. Like Teresa said, you could buy the glucose strips over the counter fairly cheap...at least if will give you peace of mind.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
December 23rd, 2005, 03:12 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Seems like the other 2 have given good suggestions. Has this just started? Or has it been going on awhile? I would definitely get him in to a Dr to check it out but in the mean time with it being a holiday weekend I would get the glucose strips. Also....this may sound strange but....if it is diabetes his urine will probably have a sweet smell to it. Good luck to you and keep us updated. We are here if you need us!

December 27th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The other ladies have given great advice. My ds is also 6 and was just diagnosed the week before Thanksgiving. He had been wetting the bed for a while, but had just this school year started having accidents at school all the time. In preschool 2 years ago, he had 1 accident the whole year. In kindergarten last year, I think he might have had 2 accidents all year. Just this school year before Thanksgiving, he had so many accidents I couldn't keep count of them! He had been drinking a ton of water, but we live in Texas and it started in the summer, so I just figured it was because it was so hot outside. I never connected the two. The week before Thanksgiving, I decided to take him to the doctor. I had kidney problems at his age, so I was thinking along those lines. I also wanted a note to take to the school so the teachers would let him go to the bathroom when he needed to go. As routine procedure, they ran blood and urine tests. They both came back with high glucose levels. The next day we were checked in to Children's hospital with a diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes. I really hope your ds doesn't have Diabetes. But do take him to get tested as soon as possible. I thank God every day that we found out when we did.

Jenn
Jack (6 dx'd: 11/17/05)
Jared (4)
Justin (3)
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

December 27th, 2005, 08:07 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
The other ladies have given great advice. My ds is also 6 and was just diagnosed the week before Thanksgiving. He had been wetting the bed for a while, but had just this school year started having accidents at school all the time. In preschool 2 years ago, he had 1 accident the whole year. In kindergarten last year, I think he might have had 2 accidents all year. Just this school year before Thanksgiving, he had so many accidents I couldn't keep count of them! He had been drinking a ton of water, but we live in Texas and it started in the summer, so I just figured it was because it was so hot outside. I never connected the two. The week before Thanksgiving, I decided to take him to the doctor. I had kidney problems at his age, so I was thinking along those lines. I also wanted a note to take to the school so the teachers would let him go to the bathroom when he needed to go. As routine procedure, they ran blood and urine tests. They both came back with high glucose levels. The next day we were checked in to Children's hospital with a diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes. I really hope your ds doesn't have Diabetes. But do take him to get tested as soon as possible. I thank God every day that we found out when we did.

Jenn
Jack (6 dx'd: 11/17/05)
Jared (4)
Justin (3)[/b]

OMG! Your diagnosis story is SO similar to Austin's. His started up over summer time and we just assumed the same - that he was drinking more because he was hot and urinating more because he was drinking so much. I took him in because of accidents and bedwetting too. Anyhow, good for you for taking him in and having it looked at. You saved him from it getting a lot worse before diagnosis.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son was the one I found drinking from the sink. He was always thristy and was losing his energy and throwing up towards the end before diagnosis. I say take your son in for a check. There may be a reason you are nervous about these symptoms.

And please update us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search