Need your advice...

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2006, 10:09 AM
momofmy4's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi everyone. My name is Christine. I have four children w/ #5 on the way. My husband has Type 1 diabetes. He was diagnosed when he was about 2 1/2 yrs old. My older three kids have never showed any signs of diabetes, ever. Thank God. My youngest, who is currently 4 yrs old, might be showing me beginning signs. I hope I am not being paranoid. My sense of smell has really gotten strong since being pregnant. Well, occasionally my ds gets a smell to him. It is from deep within, not like bad breath. I can't really describe what it smells like. I have noticed on two or three seperate days last week. That is what started me to wonder if it could be a sign of high blood sugar. Two days ago I smelled that EXACT same smell on DH. I asked him to check his blood sugar and sure enough he was high at 301. We decided that the next time I smell it on ds that I will check his blood sugar and see what it is at. Until then, I am looking for ways of doing my darndest to prevent him from becoming diabetic. I know that everyone says that there is no way to prevent it from happening, but I have to try. What I am wondering is, looking back, is there anything you would have done differently before your child was diagnosed? Also, if you know of any good information, please let me know.

Thanks everyone in advance,
Christine
AM 6/18/97
LM 9/7/01
MB 5/24/06
New Baby EDD 4/14/2009

January 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Christine--

If the child is going to get type 1 diabetes, there is nothing you can do to stop it. My best advice would be to just be aware. I think that is a good idea to check the next time you suspect he could be high. You might try to test it when he wakes up in the morning before he eats or drinks anything. I would also monitor his intake of liquids and how often he is using the bathroom. If it seems more than you would expect....I would take him to get tested at your pediatrician right away. It is better to catch it early before they have ketones & get very sick. Listen to your mom radar....it is usually right.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
January 5th, 2006, 01:29 PM
momofmy4's Avatar Super Mommy
I have been watching him carefully and so far he isn't showing any other signs. I think I will try monitering him in the morning. His sugar levels would show high? and what is the best way to test him? We have the normal blood test moniters, but I don't want to prick him if I don't have to.
AM 6/18/97
LM 9/7/01
MB 5/24/06
New Baby EDD 4/14/2009

January 6th, 2006, 08:55 AM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I have been watching him carefully and so far he isn't showing any other signs. I think I will try monitering him in the morning. His sugar levels would show high? and what is the best way to test him? We have the normal blood test moniters, but I don't want to prick him if I don't have to.[/b]
You could get some urine test strips at your pharmacy, and have him pee in a cup first thing in the morning. There should not be glucose in the urine. That would be the least invasive thing to do. They have some strips that are for sugar and ketones. I can understand not poking him unless it is necessary...no need to traumatize him if it is just mom worries.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
January 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Quote:
Quote:
I have been watching him carefully and so far he isn't showing any other signs. I think I will try monitering him in the morning. His sugar levels would show high? and what is the best way to test him? We have the normal blood test moniters, but I don't want to prick him if I don't have to.[/b]
You could get some urine test strips at your pharmacy, and have him pee in a cup first thing in the morning. There should not be glucose in the urine. That would be the least invasive thing to do. They have some strips that are for sugar and ketones. I can understand not poking him unless it is necessary...no need to traumatize him if it is just mom worries.

Kim
[/b]

I agree with Kim. I would get the urine strips and test his urine. If there is any glucose in it I would recommend calling his pediatrician right away. It is best to get it taken care of before he gets sick.
Also, there is no way to prevent it if he is going to get it. My story is similar to that of your DH. I was diagnosed at age 2 with type 1 diabetes. So far my daughter, age 4, has not shown any signs of diabetes ***knock on wood*** I am pregnant as well and due in Feb...hopefully this one will remain diabetes free as well!

January 8th, 2006, 12:56 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
You've been given good advice so far. I really don't have much to add at this point. I hope that this is nothing. Let us know.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 10th, 2006, 04:00 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am super paranoid about this as well. I have tested my little one a few times in the two years my oldest has had diabetes...and each time he is perfect. It helps me to chill out. And my little one actually loves to be like big brother. He begs me to test him all the time and wants a shot too. I pretend to do it sometimes so he will stop crying.

Please keep us up to date on your little one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search