Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Hi Everyone! I have been following you for a bit now and decided I would join in. I am a mom to 3 boys and my oldest, Dylan, is 9 and was diagnosed with type 1 Feb 5, 2005. We are almost at the one year mark and it sure has been an eye opening year. I told Dylan when he hit the one year mark we would celebrate it with a big sleepover with his friends...he is very excited about it. We actually made it and are still intact...not what I thought would happen a year ago. I have not had alot of support here in Utah with Dylan's diabetes. It is a very isolaing feeling at times...and usually ends with a mini breakdown (as I call them) once in a while. He is a very active and smart little boy and I admire his resilience with what he deals with everyday. He must still be honeymooning as he only gets 10 units daily and only in the morning right now. We keep things very simple and give him many choices with his carbs...seems to work very well for us. I figure if I am not a dictator with this and he has a say in what is going on, then hopefully (!) it will be better for us all in the years ahead. I know I am saying alot, but I rarely talk about any of this with anyone anymore and it feels good to chat with those of you who understand how I feel. Thanks for listening!!!
January 25th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome, Tina! I think you'll enjoy it here. I know what you mean about it being an isolating feeling sometimes. My ds was just diagnosed in November '05. We're still trying to get used to everything. I can't imagine what it will be like at the 1 year mark. I have to remind myself to stay in the moment rather than looking too far into the future. If I do that, I can make myself crazy.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

January 25th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Welcome, Tina! I think you'll enjoy it here. I know what you mean about it being an isolating feeling sometimes. My ds was just diagnosed in November '05. We're still trying to get used to everything. I can't imagine what it will be like at the 1 year mark. I have to remind myself to stay in the moment rather than looking too far into the future. If I do that, I can make myself crazy. [/b]
Thanks for the welcome! I remember a year ago when Dylan was initially diagnosed...my whole world fell apart and I was in shock for what seemed like forever. I could not even see out one year, let alone admit that we would be ok from it and move on with our life. I was so sad and had to go through it by myself, as my husband was in Iraq at the time. It was horrible, like a nightmare. I felt like Dylan's life had just been ripped apart and I couldn't do anything to fix it or make it better. I felt like it was a death sentence for him...it was just awful. I was told if you can muddle through the first year, it will definitely be better and you will get into the swing of things. As of now I can say it is true and we are so much better off than a year ago. My son is doing so well and I am not a puddle of tears anymore ( just once in a while!). The future still scares me for him...but I have to breathe and stay in the moment and that seems to help me a little bit. It makes me a bit weepy thinking about it, but it probably always will. He is my son and I want to protect him. I think those first 6 months are the hardest, the worst of it, and then it very slowly gets better and you slide into your new schedule of doing things and into your new life. You will be ok...believe me...it is a time thing and a gradual thing. I am sending you lots of hugs and a smile...
January 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Welcome Tina! You sound like you take a similar approach to me as far as diet and insulin. Although I have found that we have to be tighter and tighter with diet and insulin now than we used to and that I don't like. It makes me feel like the biggest meany. I am glad you decided to join us here! This board has helped me so much in the past year. I find myself breaking down in tears over diabetes every few months. It is such a hard disease and it is even harder to find people that really understand how difficult it is. I hope to see you around here often.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 25th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Welcome Tina! You sound like you take a similar approach to me as far as diet and insulin. Although I have found that we have to be tighter and tighter with diet and insulin now than we used to and that I don't like. It makes me feel like the biggest meany. I am glad you decided to join us here! This board has helped me so much in the past year. I find myself breaking down in tears over diabetes every few months. It is such a hard disease and it is even harder to find people that really understand how difficult it is. I hope to see you around here often.

Teresa[/b]
Hi Teresa! I do find myself being on top of Dylan's carbs, times to eat, etc, but it seems relaxed to me and not an issue for him usually. Most of the time we follow the schedule to the tee, but in a nice kind way and Dylan does not seem upset. He does get fed up with the lack of free foods at this stage. He is not much of a meat eater and cheese is boring now too. Hopefully when he is bigger and older he can incorporate these same free foods into his diet easier and won't be as discouraged. Food is obviously such an issue in this game, I do not like to make it any worse or any more challenging for him than it already is. 90% of the time it goes smoothly-for now. On another note..I am from upper Michigan. A small town called Ontonagon on Lake Superior. Do you know where it is? Where are you from. I now live in Utah where my husband is in the USAF. Thank you for the nice note.....
January 25th, 2006, 02:06 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Hi Teresa! I do find myself being on top of Dylan's carbs, times to eat, etc, but it seems relaxed to me and not an issue for him usually. Most of the time we follow the schedule to the tee, but in a nice kind way and Dylan does not seem upset. He does get fed up with the lack of free foods at this stage. He is not much of a meat eater and cheese is boring now too. Hopefully when he is bigger and older he can incorporate these same free foods into his diet easier and won't be as discouraged. Food is obviously such an issue in this game, I do not like to make it any worse or any more challenging for him than it already is. 90% of the time it goes smoothly-for now. On another note..I am from upper Michigan. A small town called Ontonagon on Lake Superior. Do you know where it is? Where are you from. I now live in Utah where my husband is in the USAF. Thank you for the nice note..... [/b]
I am from Florida originally, but met my husband in the Navy and we moved back to his home town after we were both out of the service. We live in southwest Michigan. We go up to the UP almost every summer for vacation. I love it there. I am not sure where Ontonagon is though. I'd have to look it up on the map as I do not know my Michigan geography as well as I'd like. (My husband picks on me plenty for that.) Both my husband and I are ex-military so I can relate on that level too. Of course, don't know anything about Utah, but anyhow, welcome again to the board!

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 25th, 2006, 02:52 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Hi and welcome. I am Renee, 25, diagnosed at age 2. I still find myself getting depressed and upset at times as well. So far my daughter shows no signs of diabetes. I really think I would fall apart if any of my children got this horrible disease. It is soooo hard to deal with and explain to people at times. I like coming here because I know that everyone at least understands what this disease is all about and all the problems that come with it.

January 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM
cloudydaze's Avatar Regular
Hello Tina, I am new here too. My son was diagnosed when he was 5 in April of 2004. Looking forward to posting with you here.
TTC #3

</div>
January 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi Tina, and welcome

I am glad you found us & decided to participate in our discussions. It really does help to talk to people who know exactly what you are going through.

My daughter Danielle was diagnosed at age 3, she is 7 now. I also have a 10 year old son, so far no signs of diabetes

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
January 26th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Regular
Hi Tina! welcome aboard! i'm Buffy and my son Colby was diagnosed when he was 2 he is 7 now. I know how you feel about having mini breakdowns, it's five years later and i still have them. One day at a time is the way i try to look at things now. i know you will enjoy it here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search