Disturbing Baby Talk article

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2006, 02:18 PM
kingdink's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't know if anyone else here receives Baby Talk magazine, but I was very disturbed by a small article in their Feb. 2006 "baby checkup" section. It goes like this...

Circumcision News
Still debating whether or not to circumcise your son? Evidence is building that circumcision may reduce the chances of a man contracting HIV. Previous observational studdies of men visiting STD clinics had hinted at a protective effect of circumcision. But in what some experts are now calling a landmark trial, researchers in France and South Africa circumcised more than 1,500 sexually active heterosexual men and established a control group of another 1,500-plus uncircumcised men. After 21 months, the uncircumcised men had more than double the rate of HIV infection, indictating circumcision may slash the rate of HIV by as much as 60 percent.

That is it...no mention of any of the other factors involved. And the first sentence really hints that if you're still deciding that this should almost be the deciding factor. There is nothing said about the use of condoms in the article, either. It is just SO biased! I wrote a letter to the editor from the babytalk.com website expressing my concern over the article and said that there are other ways to help prevent STDs other than permanently altering a child's body. I guess I am putting this here so that you may do the same, if you're so inclined. If you would like to write the editor, as well, go to www.babytalk.com and click on questions and comments in the orange box on the left side of the page. The article is in the "baby checkup" section of the Feb. 2006 issue.
January 25th, 2006, 09:26 PM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is so irresponsible. I gave up reading Baby Talk because it frequently has misinformation, especially about breastfeeding and childbirth, so it's no surprise that they can't get it right about circumcision either. Idiots!

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
January 26th, 2006, 10:57 PM
meow's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to meow
I read that earlier this week too and was equally appalled. I was so upset that I set the magazine down and haven't touched it since. They could have atleast added a link to the study so that people could find out the details of the study such as weither or not protection was involved. Not that it matters unless all 1500+ men from both sides were having unprotected sex with the same women. I guess the whole story shouldn't matter as long as you're "still deciding."

January 27th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Does anyone still have that issue of the magazine around? I'd like the address to write a letter to the editor.

January 27th, 2006, 07:10 AM
meow's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to meow
It took some digging but I found the trash behind the couch.
email:

letters@babytalk.com

mail:

Babytalk
135 W. 50th St. 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10020

The blurb is on page 18 in the "baby check-up" section.

January 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The problem is it only reduces the chances. I know how to PREVENT sexually-acquired HIV completely. They also failed to mention that while removing the foreskin can reduce the chance of getting HIV it increases the risk of ALL OTHER STDs. There are specialized goblet cells on the inside of the foreskin. They get rid of viruses and bacteria. They essentially engulf and kill the STDs to prevent them from entering the body. HIV is a tricky virus in that it fools the goblet cells into thinking it is "good" and the cells actually facilitate moving HIV into the body. But of course let's not worry about the biology behind it all and instead just permanently alter newborn babies with the assumption that they will be sexually promiscuous in a few years. Yeah, makes perfect sense to me

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

January 28th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Quote:
It took some digging but I found the trash behind the couch.
email:

letters@babytalk.com

mail:

Babytalk
135 W. 50th St. 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10020

The blurb is on page 18 in the "baby check-up" section.[/b]

Thanks! Hey, the more letters correcting their misinformation the better <hint, hint>

February 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM
Veteran
They still don't bother mentioning that the US, which has the highest HIV/AIDS rate in the industrialized world, also has the highest circ rate in the industrialized world. But then they obviously have a bias toward promoting circ - I have read the same previously from their rag.

http://www.catholicsagainstcircumcision.org/

http://www.acts15.org/

Galatians 5:2: Behold, I, Paul, tell you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will profit you nothing.

Galatians 2:21: I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.
February 8th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's so irresponsible. Do we want our circumsised sons growing up and practicing unsafe sex becasue they think becasue they are circumsised they won't get aids?

February 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM
~TreeGrl~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just as a side note, this magazine had the first article I ever read about circumcision or intact care, and it actually advised parents of intact boys to gently push their foreskin during bath time. Sounds like they haven't done their research...Luckily I was smart enough to do mine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search