Another finger checking question

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2006, 08:28 PM
cloudydaze's Avatar Regular
How old was your child when they started checking/testing their own blood sugar. I am positive he knows how to do it by himself, but I don't want to push him. He is seven and been diagnosed for almost two years. Is that still young?
TTC #3

</div>
January 26th, 2006, 09:14 AM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
How old was your child when they started checking/testing their own blood sugar. I am positive he knows how to do it by himself, but I don't want to push him. He is seven and been diagnosed for almost two years. Is that still young?[/b]
Danielle could do her own tests at 4 years old(she was diagnosed at age 3). She didn't know then what the numbers meant....but she could do the test herself. Now, she is 7, she does her own tests at school, just tells the teacher the number. She knows if she is over 200 to automatically do a correction with her pump. If she is low, she knows to tell someone, and drink a juice/eat tablets. In the mornings...I do her tests. Before dinner, she tests herself, we just tell her to do it. Sometimes, if she needs to test & is busy, I bring the stuff to her & do it for her. I KNOW it is a lot of responsiblity for a kid.

A psychologist at diabetes camp said to us...if they know how to do it, they should do it. It is just like anything else. When they learn to tie their shoes, you don't keep doing it for them. Occasionally though, they need help

BTW--Welcome ChristyB!!

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
January 26th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Regular
Colby has been testing himself since he was about 4 too and he is 7 now.
January 29th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Chris has done his own since he was diagnosed but that was at 8. He is learning the numbers too and when he comes around the corner to tell me, I already know by the look on his face what it is.
Of course, at first, we watched him do it to make sure he got enough blood and all.
January 30th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Veteran
Adam has been doing his testing since we were diagnosed 6/05 & he's 9. He is starting to help us & counting carbs & using the calculator for his dosage of insulin. I think this is good for him for his future of care + it helps w/ his math skills

Adam has been doing his testing since we were diagnosed 6/05 & he's 9. He is starting to help us & counting carbs & using the calculator for his dosage of insulin. I think this is good for him for his future of care + it helps w/ his math skills

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search