New to Board, New to Diabetes

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Mom2RH
I guess I'll come out of the shadows and introduce myself. I've been lurking for the past few days.

Our older son, Ryan, 11, was diagnosed last Monday. As I'm sure you all know, it came as quite a shock. He's a champ, though, giving himself his blood tests and injections...he's doing 4 a day...Lantus at night and Novolog before meals. His blood sugars seem to be stabilizing well...although he still gets a 300ish one right before lunch every day for some reason. I'm not sure why...I'll try tweaking what he eats for breakfast and see if that helps.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to coming here to learn from you and offer support as well.

My name is Charlotte, my dh is Bill. We also have a 2 yo son named Hunter.
February 2nd, 2006, 09:25 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi Charlotte--

Welcome to our little group Sorry to hear of your son's recent diagnosis. 11 is a tough age I think. My son without diabetes is 10....and I can't imagine him with it, even with my little one already having it. My 7 yr old daughter is one tough cookie!

I think you will find it helpful to vent your frustrations about diabetes here to people who know what you are going through. I know it has made a difference for me. It is one place you don't have to explain what a low is, etc. We get it. Ask any question you might have...if we don't know the answer...we can probably figure out where to find it

Take care of yourself too.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
February 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
cloudydaze's Avatar Regular
Hello Charlotte, welcome to the board. Wow-last Monday. I am sure you are still in shock. I can remember my son's diagnosis like it was yesterday and remember the shock and denial I was in for a long time. He was diagnosed April 28, 2004, so it has been nearly two years now. I'm glad to hear your son is taking it so well. For some reason or another, they seem to accept it rather quickly. Bless his heart, doing his own blood checks and injections. Good for him.

I'm sorry that you even have to be here posting, but am looking forward to talking to you.
TTC #3

</div>
February 3rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Mom2RH
Thanks Kim and Christy...I appreciate the welcome...into this club no one wants to be a member of! LOL

It is nice to have somewhere to come where people "get" it...although we have been very blessed by friends supporting us. I know we will find our new "normal" and hopefully sooner rather than later.
February 3rd, 2006, 02:39 PM
Veteran
HI Charlotte,

My ds is Adam & he will be 10 in March. Our day to remeber was just in 6/6/05, not too long ago & sometim,es it feels as if we have been doing this for years. We are on the same care plan as your family. We have experienced the same hi at school, yes look at the breakfast foods b/c at least for us, anything like biscuits, toast anything like that seems to stay w/ him much longer + the adrenaline that they experience plays its role in his #'s.

Children are waaay more resilient than us adults & seem to adjust waaay better than us... I have said a prayer for you & your families strength. As time goes by you & your son & dh will have it down..I promise

Lisa
February 3rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Mom2RH
Thank you Lisa! I appreciate the prayers!

I guess the part I am struggling with is the renewed worry! I'm used to worrying about our 2 yo son, but Ryan has been growing more independent...now I feel like I have TWO little kids again!

Ryan is spending the night at a friends house tonight...and even though he has done this for years, I am so worried! And they are only a mile away...but it feels like the first time. But I think it will be good for all of us...it's tough having to learn to let go all over again! It was hard enough the first time! LOL
February 4th, 2006, 06:16 PM
mommy22's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy22
Welcome, I have just joined the boards as well, and I am so glad to have found them. (my name is Julie, by the way)Maddie was diagnosed just about 1yr ago, and in some ways it does feel like years and years, and in some ways, it feels just like yesterday. I am looking forward to getting to know you.

February 5th, 2006, 08:15 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! I have a 13 year old. We've been dealing with diabetes since he was 5 almost 6. Eleven is a tough age for kids, even without diabetes. It will take a bit to get your numbers evened out and you'll never get quite perfection when they are kids, but it'll get easier.

Hang in there. Glad to have you here and hopefully we can be a great support for you. I know it has been for me.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
February 6th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Regular
Welcome Charlotte! I know you will enjoy coming here for support and questions, it has been a great place for me to come just to know that we are not the only family dealing with this.
February 6th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Thank you Lisa! I appreciate the prayers!

I guess the part I am struggling with is the renewed worry! I'm used to worrying about our 2 yo son, but Ryan has been growing more independent...now I feel like I have TWO little kids again!

Ryan is spending the night at a friends house tonight...and even though he has done this for years, I am so worried! And they are only a mile away...but it feels like the first time. But I think it will be good for all of us...it's tough having to learn to let go all over again! It was hard enough the first time! LOL[/b]

The 1st of things are soo frightning for us parents w/ or w/o diabetes in our life. I know exactly the feeling of omg is evrything going to be ok...me too the 1st sleep over was very nerve racking... We had taken about an hour or so to educate the mom & dad to the house he was going to....The way we take care of our children seems sooo overwhemling to the people that don't live w/ our disease but once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad.

You are right about letting him spend the night away from mom & dad, it gives them a sense of independence that they despartely need...whether we want them to have it or not....it is hard to let go...fast forward time 10 years.....just think how hard it's going to be to "reallly" let them go out of the house....I told my son that he can live w/ me until he's 50...lol...he said that he will be leaving home when he's 22 (who knows where 22 came from)..lol

Anyway...How did the sleep over go? Did everyone survive? I have noticed w/ our sleep overs, the # are much higher there than they would be at home, but we have to let them be kids & it's only for a day, is how we look at it. I am not too fond of it but I can't make a big deal about it either.

Hope everything/evreyone went well
Lisa
February 7th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Mom2RH
Lisa, the sleepover went great, thanks. I did the "tutorial" with the mom, she took notes, and Ry had great numbers the whole time. He even slept a little! LOL I think the mom felt a bit overwhelmed, but like you said, realized it wasn't so bad. So he had fun, I got over my initial worry. A very good experience.

Thanks also Teresa, Julie and Buffy!
February 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Lisa, the sleepover went great, thanks. I did the "tutorial" with the mom, she took notes, and Ry had great numbers the whole time. He even slept a little! LOL I think the mom felt a bit overwhelmed, but like you said, realized it wasn't so bad. So he had fun, I got over my initial worry. A very good experience.

Thanks also Teresa, Julie and Buffy![/b]

That is soooo awesome...I am very glad for you & your son that it all went well. I know the feeling of the whole "1sts" that it can be stomach renching....so you/we still have alot of those "1sts" to overcome as our life goes sooo fast. We have to stop & smell the roses...i know it's easier said than done huh? lol
February 8th, 2006, 05:19 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I'm jumping in here a little late but wanted to say welcome. I have not been on a lot lately....life with a 2 week old and a 4 year old is pretty hectic!! I am the only one on here that doesn't have a child with diabetes...knock on wood that they don't ever get this horrible disease. I myself have had type 1 since age 2. I come here because I feel that everyone understands each other. I feel like I have to educate my friends all the time on why I am always watching what I eat and why I have to check my sugars. No one seems to understand. I am thin...92 pounds (well before I got preg with #2) and people are always giving me weird looks or asking me why I am drinking diet soda. No one seems to understand why someone as thin as I am would watch what I eat so closely.

February 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Mom2RH
Renee...I can imagine the ignorance you face. My dad had diabetes (Type 1, dx'd at 44. He passed away 3 1/2 years ago, too early. He had many complications including kidney failure) so I know a bit about the disease...maybe a bit too much with his history. My dh is a Veterinarian, so a scientist/medically trained. So I feel we are pretty well equipped to deal with this stuff...but I am shocked at how ignorant people are. My son is tall for his age and very skinny, he swims on the swim team and is solid muscle as a result. But I had someone at his orthodontists office ask if he had type 1 or 2. Also people, I'm sure well meaning, have said, well maybe he won't need as much insulin when he gets it under control. Well, yeah, I guess if he gives up eating...

Anyway, nice to meet you and congratulations on your new baby!
February 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Quote:
Renee...I can imagine the ignorance you face. My dad had diabetes (Type 1, dx'd at 44. He passed away 3 1/2 years ago, too early. He had many complications including kidney failure) so I know a bit about the disease...maybe a bit too much with his history. My dh is a Veterinarian, so a scientist/medically trained. So I feel we are pretty well equipped to deal with this stuff...but I am shocked at how ignorant people are. My son is tall for his age and very skinny, he swims on the swim team and is solid muscle as a result. But I had someone at his orthodontists office ask if he had type 1 or 2. Also people, I'm sure well meaning, have said, well maybe he won't need as much insulin when he gets it under control. Well, yeah, I guess if he gives up eating...

Anyway, nice to meet you and congratulations on your new baby![/b]
I was the first diagnosed with diabetes in my family. However, my dad now has type 2 diabetes. He is about 150 lbs overweight and if he would watch his diet and lose some weight he wouldn't have diabetes anymore and it really makes me mad to see him do that to himself. I have seen him eat an entire bag of oreo cookies in one sitting!! It really irritates me because if I could lose weight or watch my diet and not have to worry about this diesease I would!! ---Don't get me started on that though!! LOL
Now there's a thought...giving up eating to avoid having to use insulin....LOL!!!
Thanks for the congrats on the baby!! I had a rough pregnancy so I am glad that we both made it through it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search