don't know when

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM
mommy22's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy22
I think that Maddie is using her sugars as an excuse for naughty behavior. When she knows that she is doing something naughty, and she gets caught, that is when she throws a fit and says her tummy hurts. I think that sometimes she is legitametly low or high, but what do I do when she is just using it for an excuse? Which is becoming more and more frequent.
I normally check the sugar and then treat the nautiness. Does anyone have any suggestions?

February 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Regular
yeah they learn very young how to use this to their advantage. I'm the one who always blames bad behavior on his sugar where as my husband tends to do more disciplining. I agree with the way you are going just check the sugar first to make sure that is not the case and then do the disciplining. I haven't quite figured out how to handle this myself yet and colby is 7.
February 6th, 2006, 09:33 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
When Danielle was smaller, we would test if she was acting up bad....a lot of times she was high when I had got to the point I wanted to strangle her If she was high, we would give insulin, and she would have to do whatever it was that she was supposed to do...if not...she was disciplines accordingly. She doesn't seem to do this as much as she used to....although she does "feel low" a lot when she is supposed to be doing stuff like cleaning up her room. We don't let her use it to get out of her chores. When she says, but I'm low...we say treat the low, eat and then clean up your room, or whatever chore it was.

this is hard.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
February 7th, 2006, 08:33 AM
mommy22's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy22
I think that the hardest thing that I have w/ this issue is that other people look at me and you know that they are thinking what a bad kid you have. And I KNOW that I can't look at what other people think, but that it so hard, they just see a glimpse into your life and judge you for what you are or are not doing. Does this make any sense? Or am I really just being silly

February 7th, 2006, 03:25 PM
Quote:
I think that Maddie is using her sugars as an excuse for naughty behavior. When she knows that she is doing something naughty, and she gets caught, that is when she throws a fit and says her tummy hurts. I think that sometimes she is legitametly low or high, but what do I do when she is just using it for an excuse? Which is becoming more and more frequent.
I normally check the sugar and then treat the nautiness. Does anyone have any suggestions?[/b]
I have rarely run into this with Dylan (9). And if I did run into it I would check his blood sugar and then he would be off doing whatever it was he was supposed to be doing. No excuses and no special options because he has diabetes. He does not seem to react as much with his highs as he does his lows...except sometimes he has low symptoms and is actually high. That seems to upset him..I think he trying to scam a snack! But we address it when it happens and then move on. My husband and I are on the same wave length dealing with it all, so it seems to work for us right now. I think addressing her situation at the time it happens and then continuing with whatever you were doing it an idea to think about. Extra finger pricks is about the only way to be sure what her numbers are for now. Maybe when she is older she can feel the symptoms better and not be as confused....it seems to always be a guessing game...we take one day at a time with this stuff and stay in the present. Good luck and let me know how it goes!! Hugs....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search