Itchy privates on little girl

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Showbiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am at a loss. My daughter has always been prone to rashes - thanks to my genetics, likely - but this is a problem and I really want to fix it. She is almost 4 and potty trained. She does wear a pull-up at night, but it doesn't seem to matter if she is wet or not, the rash persists. Here are the details:

Been going on for probably close to a year. She has been seen by a Dr., who said use monistat (we have, unsuccesfully).

Her girl area gets red and inflamed-looking.

She gets quite large bumps on the insides of her legs and bottom area.

She is itchy.

A nurse told us she had girls, and whenever they were itchy, she told them to clean. So my daughter bathes once or twice a day to try to remedy this problem. To no avail.

I've tried different laundry products, to no avail. The rash is ONLY on her private/buttock area.

We've tried coating with vaseline. We've tried desitin for MONTHS, 2x per day.
Again, we've tried the yeast infection cream 2x day. We've tried having her bathe in vinigar. Nothing touches it. It doesn't even look better.

It's not her pull-ups - we've tried different brands.

I'm stumped. Please help! The doctor doesn't seem to think it's an issue. But she's not the one itching herself raw every day!

November 17th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Cheep Sk8's Avatar Veteran
Hello. I've never posted here, so I hope you don't mind my jumping in. Calmoseptine might help. It's a great moisture barrier and it heals and soothes the skin. You can get it OTC, but you have to go to the pharmacy and they'll probably have to special order it. It's only about $7 or $8. Also, you might want to take her to a dermatologist.
November 17th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Thank you for the reply! I will try anything. I never thought of a dermatologist! I guess I just feel like no one else thinks it's a problem. That's a great idea!

November 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
My daughter got a red rash kind of like this. I was like whoa. She was itchy too. One thing my dr said was limit baths. Let her play in clean water if we want but when we wash don't leave the soap and stuff in there. Rinse the water out and run new. Also no more bubble baths. Those are not good for little girls. Leaves stuff behind I guess. We haven't had a problem in awhile. We also used Butt Paste from the baby aisle. I swear by that stuff for diaper rash and such. I hope you find some relief for her soon. If you aren't going anywhere and aren't opposed to it you could let her run naked too. Then it can air out so if it is something contacting the skin from laundry or something like that then being naked should help clear it up. Let us know if you find anything that helps.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

November 20th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks girls. I've tried the no soap approach as well, but maybe I should have her go naked more. It's worth a shot, right?

November 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Veteran
My sister's daughter had this horrible rash as well and was misdiagnosed as a yeast infection by the doctor available at the time (not her regular doctor). She had tried the butt paste to no avail, so she thought it was something else. Then the yeast infection cream didn't work. So my sister talked to the pharmasist and he recommended a stronger dose of diaper rash cream. I'm not sure of the name of it and I can't get a hold of my sister to ask. But have you talked to the pharmasist? He almost fell on the floor when he heard what the doctor had prescribed. Well the stronger diaper rash creme worked like a charm. Relieved it in a day or two.

Good luck!

Just found out, it's called Desitin MAX...it's like 40% of the medication. Give it a go.

Last edited by mom2anna; November 20th, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
December 4th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Wanted to update! We finally went back to Desitin (even before the above post - wish I had read it earlier!) and literally GOBBED it on her. Previously we had painted her white, to no avail, but this time we seriously used a ton of the original (not the creamy). The next day - better. We repeated. The following day after that - darn near healed! It started to return a few days later, so we repeated, and again, a dramatic difference. Now we're going about 5 days between gobbing!

Thanks ladies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search