Norm or uncommon?

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2010, 08:06 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Is it common to have to go back and fix the circumcision?
My son has a little skin that didn't get snipped or grew back hard to know. A friend had to have her son's fixed.
Is this the norm or more uncommon?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 20th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My pedi said that some of the skin can grow back. He recommends pushing the skin back at every diaper change until it's healed all the way. Then if anything does grow back he'll just take it back off for free.

April 20th, 2010, 03:23 PM
mom2nate
From what I've learned it has become a pretty common occurrence. Nathan had to have his fixed. One side grew back almost over his urethra....so it really wasn't a choice to just watch it or have the dr. yank the skin back forcefully like some do. he had to go to the hospital as an outpatient surgery...it was over in like 20 minutes but oh so stressful (for mommy).....Our nephew had to have the dr. yank the skin back as his was doing the same thing. My DH's middle brother had to have his fixed at 41 years old! Now that would suck!
April 20th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the info ladies.

April 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
How did I miss this thread? I'm completely blind, I guess!

Yes, it's fairly common, unfortunately. No one in my family (that I know of) has had to go back, but I see it at JM all the time.

*edit* Oh, I see... the circ board just merged with this one. I thought I was losing my mind. Welcome, ladies!

Last edited by BensMom; April 24th, 2010 at 06:23 AM.
April 24th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I thought I was losing my mind too because I didn't remember posting this here .

April 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Regular
I work at a medical center, circumcision complications are very common. Anytime you have a surgical procedure done, even a simple one, there are always plenty of possible complications.
April 24th, 2010, 09:10 PM
raelynn's Avatar Super Mommy
adhesions occur in 71% of circumcised boys - very common complication. The body is trying to heal itself, so the skin will reattach.

Studies have shown that almost all adhesions will release on their own, and there is no need to rip them back, as it is painful and can cause scar tissue and even more problems down the road. The only time it can really cause a problem is if the adhesion is involving the circumcision line itself. But otherwise, just like the bonds break down in an intact boy, allowing the foreskin to retract in time, the bonds will release in the areas that adhered in a circ'ed boy.

Penile adhesions after neonatal circumcision. [J Urol. 2000] - PubMed result

Also, if your son was left with what appears to be a lot of skin, it is a good thing - so many boys in past decades had "tight" circs done, and it resulted in many men not having enough skin as they got older to accomodate an erection (thus, skin from the body is pulled up onto the shaft, which is why some circ'ed men have hair on the shaft, and in bad cases, the penis can actually be curved or skin split open).

May 11th, 2010, 01:04 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have known two that needed surgery to correct IRL & plenty that had adhesions. I think it is quite common as well. It is part of the reason I started to look into not having it done.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search