CIrcumcision in Germany or the US?

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
I´m a mom of 2 boys, one now is 12 years old, the other one is newborn.

I now live together with an American man who is also the father of the newborn. We discussed the circ topic and my littlw boy will get circumcised.

My querstions are:

1. Is it better to have it done in Germany or next time we are in the US?
2. Is it a good idea to have my older son also cut?
3. Which method is ok? Free-hand or with a clamp?

So many questions
August 22nd, 2010, 09:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome to JM! Glad you've decided to join us. I'm Chrystal, the host of the Children's Health board.

I honestly have no idea whether the US or Germany is the best option, because I'm not familiar with how things are done in Germany. IMHO, the sooner the better since you've decided to do it for your newborn, but I'd leave the 12 year old to decide for himself (after giving him all the facts and letting him talk to the doctor). The only thing you'll get on a board like this is debate, because circumcision is a very personal choice, and some people are very passionate about their views on it. The best thing is to talk to your doctor, get a second or third opinion, discuss it with your husband, and then decide for yourself what you think is best.
August 29th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Regular
1. I'd say have it done in the US, circumcision is much more common in the US and doctors in the US typically have much more experience with this surgical procedure.

2. I'd say no, unless he is having a problem with is foreskin. The procedure could be extremely traumatic and he may not understand why someone wants to cut skin off of a very sensitive part of this body. If he wants to be circumcised, let him decide for himself when he is older.

3. This is a personal decision, however, most doctors in the US use some sort of tool or clamp to perform the procedure.

I am of the opinion that there is no reason to circumcise unless my child has a medical problem with their foreskin. Keep in mind that circumcision is a surgical procedure, and like any surgical procedure there are many risks involved (infection, bleeding, skin adhesions, scarring, etc). This is a personal decision, just make sure that you do plenty of research before you make your decision!

Tags
circumcision , foreskin

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search