nut allergy in breastfed baby?

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
I've been on a dairy free diet for 4 weeks and a soy free diet for 3 because the doctor thought my daughter might have an allergy after I found blood and green colored stools in her diaper...the diet hasn't helped BUT I started thinking maybe nuts were the issue, because the blood would usually show up around the time I ate nuts.

This week I decide to go off nuts and noticed an improvement. Today at 4pm I added them back in by consuming a nut-packed protein bar...4.5 hours later, in her dirty diaper, there is blood streaked green poo again--and all week it was yellow....can that happen with a nut allergy in babies?

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for my sweet siggy!

September 19th, 2010, 07:35 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. Have they done a stool test to be sure it's blood? Is there any mucus in it? Does she seem to be in pain? Seriously, I'd talk to the doc about it. Make sure they're running tests and not just blowing off your concerns. It could be a nut allergy, yes. You might be referred to a pediatric allergist, in which case they'd almost certainly run blood tests. Allergy tests aren't as accurate in babies as you might think (especially scratch tests). Many docs won't even test for allergies until about age 4. That doesn't mean an allergy isn't present (because sometimes it very clearly is). It just means the tests don't always pick it up immediately. With blood and/or mucus in the stool, you should be pressing the doctor for more tests, though, to make sure something else isn't going on.
September 20th, 2010, 07:56 AM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Hi BensMom: Thank you for the comment. I have taken her to the doc 3 times so far, and finally went to the Gastro because the peds weren't helping. Unfortunately, I've called back the gastro 5 times and he's yet to return my call about whether or not she has c. diff (a bacteria). The peds did this test and it came back negative, but the gastro wanted to re-do it. They did test for blood and it came back positive :/. I am praying it's just a matter of needing to omit nuts, because I'd hate for it to be more serious...I am still talking to the docs (calling her ped again today), if this gastro doesn't end up calling me back soon, we will need to find another :/.

September 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry. What about gluten? Could it be celiac disease?
September 22nd, 2010, 07:51 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
From what you described I would think the nuts are the problem. Did you ever get any answers?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

September 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
irunpink's Avatar Sophie
Hi Ladies!

Well, I'm somewhat happy (or more relieved) to announce that it was the nuts. Relieved because it isn't something actually wrong with her poor tummy! I've been off nuts for a week and she is better! I'm going to slowly add the dairy back in to see if she can tolerate that. If she reacts again, then I'll know it's the nuts and dairy. I have food allergies too so she must've gotten it from me :/. Thank you for your comments/help!

September 28th, 2010, 08:09 PM
It's great that you've figured it out, but I'm sorry she has allergies. My 11 year old neice has been that way from the day she was born, and it's horrible. She's allergic to all the big ones (nuts, milk, wheat, citrus, red dye, etc.) I'm amazed she can eat anything at all! Sometimes just being in the same room with allergen foods can set off a reaction in people. Be sure you follow up with an allergist at least once a year if she doesn't outgrow it.
October 6th, 2010, 05:33 PM
The Jenn's Avatar Waiting for Baby #2!!
Hi! Popping in from the March 08 playroom. I was going to say that yes, it sounds like a nut allergy, but I see you already got your answer! I hope it is something she is able to outgrow. I've been allergic to nuts my whole life, and while there are worse things in life, its definitely not a fun allergy to have. Good luck!!!

*New Siggy Coming Soon!*

Jenn, mommy to Emma and Ruby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search