Eating disorders in children

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Is there a history of eating disorders in your family? What do you think of this?

Eating disorders increasing for children and teens – The Chart - CNN.com Blogs
January 9th, 2011, 08:43 PM
bump
January 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister has suffered from both anorexia and bulimia and yes, I think we are having huge issues with youngun's today. I think there is so much pressure these days that it's insane

January 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Yikes! Those are some scary statistics!! There is no history of eating disorders in my family. My mother and sisters are constantly accusing my of being anorexic, but I assure everyone, I am not. I am 5 ft 6.5 ins tall and weigh 97 lbs, I am very underweight but I do not have an eating disorder of any kind. My weight loss is an unwanted side effect of one of the drugs I take for migraine prevention. I am normally around 110 pounds, so slender anyway.

My DD was actually diagnosed anorexic about a year ago. I was NOT happy. She has some feeding problems because she does not feel hunger the way she should because of an under developed nervous system, but I felt this diagnosis was not the right one. She did eat, just not enough for proper growth, and she was not starving herself to lose weight in the effort to be thin. Maybe I misunderstand the diagnosis, but it didnt seem right for her; she was only 5 years old for crying out loud! Any one else have a similar experience?

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
January 12th, 2011, 06:48 AM
That is very odd to be diagnosed anorexic at that age?? Anorexia is purposely denying calories, not just being underweight. What type of doctor was it that diagnosed her???

January 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, that's a weird diagnosis for sure. I would demand a better explaination. IMHO, anorxia is a mental disorder, not a feeding disorder.
January 12th, 2011, 12:49 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Yeah, that was my opinion exactly. It was her family doctor. She was prescribed PediaSure but she does not purposely deprive herself of calories in an effort to be thin. She also has other issues that contribute to her being FTT. On the worksheet he gave us when prescribing the PediaSure he had to mark what the reason was for prescribing it and he chose anorexia. That has always bothered me, maybe I shouldnt let it LOL.

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
January 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM
That is very odd???

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search