G6pd

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
Hi, My DD just got diagnosed with G6PD (Glucose-6 phosphate dehydrgenase deficency) I was wondering if anyone has this deficency or has a child with it. I am trying to gather more information. Thanks!

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013
December 13th, 2010, 12:53 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sorry, I don't think I've seen that mentioned here before.

Do you know anyone in your family with it? I know it's linked to the X chromosome, but that doesn't mean anyone else has it (maybe just a carrier). How did you know you needed to test for that? Is she anemic? I can help you search for answers if necessary.
December 15th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
Thanks!
When she was about a month old she started to turn VERY yellow. They thought it was breastmilk jaundice so we started her on formula for a couple days. i was still concerned even though her color was looking better so I took her in. they did some blood work and found her hemoglobin to be a 7. they had us come back the next day and it was a 6 so they sent us to the hospital. The next day it dropped to 5 and so they did a blood transfusion and has been fine since.
Now that she is almost a year they wanted to do some more testing. her tests cam back with the G6PD Deficiency diagnosis.
We don't know anyone in our family with it but DH is greek and it is more common in people of mediteranean decent.
I looks like as liong as we look for the signs and aviod the food and medications we need to things should be okay
I was just wondering if anyone had more info.

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013
December 15th, 2010, 08:01 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
All I know is that it's supposed to be fairly easy to manage. I'm glad you have a diagnosis so young! It amazes me that people can live for years with odd things before getting a diagnosis!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search