Lurking, but I do have a question...

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2011, 08:05 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
I didn't even realize this place was here! LOL

My sister Kenzie is 6 on the 21st..and she had never had an ear infection in her LIFE until she was, as my mom says, 5 years and 8 months old.
Then she got a double ear infection.
They used meds, cleared it up, then at the check the Dr. saw some fluid left and figured it'd clear.
About a month or month and a half later, another double ear infection!
Different meds, infection cleared, fluid still there but not a concern.

Then my DD got a double ear infection, so she was put on amoxicillin and got an amoxicillin rash..
Yuck! But the infection cleared, looks good and she's fine..

Then my OTHER sister got an ear infection! Just one ear, thankfully. She's 8 years old! What 8 year old gets an ear infection!? LOL
My DD and my sisters go to different doctor's offices, so at my 8 year old sister's check for her ears, my mom had the Dr. check my almost 6 year old sisters ears (it had been about a month since her infection..maybe more)
Still fluid.
So she's been referred to an ENT doctor about the sudden infections and the fluid not draining...

Are there colds out there that cause, no doubt about it, ear infections? It just seems strange that within a month or so, my sister then my DD got double ear infections..then more strange that 1 week after my DD got hers, my other sister got an ear infection!
We haven't seen an ear infection in this house since my 8 year old sister was 1 or 2 years old!

Also, what could the ENT do about the fluid that refuses to drain from my sisters ear? Since she's older, what's the chance she'd be stuck with tubes?

I'm beginning to wonder if that's why she's always saying "What" and saying she didn't hear us.. The fluid. But it may just be the age..

Any insight would be amazing!

Oh..
And I'm Kiwimommy, mommy to Ashlynn Heather, born 1/28/10

January 12th, 2011, 06:54 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I won't have the best insight for you because of limited experience with ear infections in children, but I was 28 when I got my first ear infection and it was a nasty one so I am guessing that there are bugs out there that can cause issues.
As for the draining, if it doesn't happen on it's own, tubes are probably the best option.
Hoping that someone with more knowledge can help

January 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Could it be swimmer's ear? Mine got really bad in early childhood even though I didn't have ear infections as a baby/toddler. I'd always end up with a double ear infection.

What about tonsils & adenoids? That could be causing the eustacian tube not to drain properly. My son had his adenoids out when he was 2.5 (for a different reason), and they told me the usual reason is frequent ear infections.

I don't know. Could be a persistent bug that isn't fully killed off by the antibiotics.
January 12th, 2011, 03:26 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Hopefully her appt. with her doctor has some answers about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search