Any suggestions???

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Regular
Hello all. I have never posted here, but thought I might get some suggestions or similar experiences...

My daughter is 3. She had an intestinal infection in Oct. and was in the hospital for 4 days. She had campylobacter. Then in Dec. started running low grade temps from 99.6-101 everyday randomly. Also around that time started complaining of joint pain. Would come half way up the stairs and cry saying her knees hurt. Shortly after her heels began hurting. Took her in to see family doc and had x-rays and labs. Her sed rate was elevated at 27, everything else normal. 2 weeks later saw a rheumatologist. They said their exam was negative but her sed rate was up to 33 and her hemoglobin was down to 10.1. It was low in Oct. as well. So they sent us to see GI. They were worried about Crohn's disease. We had scopings done that showed mild reflux, now she is scheduled for a barium swallow test on Thursday.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions of where to go if this test is negative. Not sure if I should ask for a hematology consult or what?

She has continued to run these temps everyday since Dec. Also continues to complain of joint pains. Recently has started complaining of headaches the last 3 weeks and last week or so has started saying her "chest" hurts. She points right over her heart and says it feels like she bumped it, but she didn't.

Sorry this is so long, just getting kind of desperate for an answer and feel like we are missing something and she is getting worse.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
March 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I would talk to either hematology or infectious disease. Both are well-versed in all medical disciplines. I mean... if you go to a gasto-doc, you're going to get a gastro-answer. If you go to infectious disease, you'll be more likely to find a doctor who thinks outside the box and looks at the whole picture. I don't have experience with that specific set of symptoms, but I do have experience with a weird set of circumstances being blown off by the doctor. Infectious disease and hematology are where I found my answer, and that's exactly the reason why. They're trained to look for zebras in a field full of horses.
March 30th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Regular
Thank you so much. We see GI tomorrow, then I am going to ask for a hematology consult. Hopefully we won't have to wait long.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search