What to put in a care package?

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
MelibearMom's Avatar Melissa--expecting #4!!
Hi ladies! Just stopping by with a question.

My friend has a 3 yr. old boy with major heart problems. He just recently got a new pacemaker and was doing well until he got RSV. He has been in the hospital for about a month and supposedly is the sickest he has ever been. My friend has been with him day and night while her husband works and her 7 mo. old daughter is with a babysitter every day. My neighborhood is really pitching in to help with dinners for her hubby and laundry. I would really like to send a care package to her at the hospital though.

So, if you were stuck at the hospital for days at a time and not able to leave your son's side what things would you like to have? I'm planning on putting in some toys, books, and activities for him. Maybe some snacks for her? I don't think she has time to read. Lotion? I just can't think of anything. Thanks for the help!

Hailey Marie 1-29-13 8lbs. 1 oz.
April 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Are they able to have visitors? Someone told me a long time ago that he always brings a candy dish to people in the hospital. They'll have visitors, and just as if you were at home, you'd like to be able to offer them something to wet their mouth. You can't really offer a glass of water, but you can offer a piece of hard candy.

What about her? Would she like something to make herself more beautiful and pass the time? Something simple like an emory board or nail file? I'd refrain from sending anything scented since the little one has RSV, though.

My 2 year old has had RSV twice. The hard part is keeping him entertained without allowing him to get his respiration rate up. Think of something that would really engage the little one's mind and tire him out without making him move around much. I'm not sure if mom's opposed to educational DVD's or not. Leapfrog DVD's are a great idea. What about a classic hand-held game? Like the little "fish tank" or "bead maze" games in the dollar aisle at walmart? (The ones where you push a button to shoot a burst of water under a little basketball into the net, for example.) Art supplies are always great, too, but again... stay away from ones with strong smells, and see what the hospital is already providing (especially if it's a children's hospital). Does he have anything like Candyland, Hi-Ho Cherrio, or Chutes & Ladders? You can find the magnetic, travel version of most classic games.

Last edited by BensMom; April 12th, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search