Hi ladies, have a question!!

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
..Jessica..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies,

My name is Jessica, I'm not a lurker, so please forgive me if this is on the wrong board... I just have a question for ANY parent who had a baby or child that needed a feeding tube.

My niece was born with two birth defects ~ esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula ~ basically she was born without an esophagus (it didn't develop during the 1st trimester). So she's had surgery to repair it so she could live. She's been on an NG tube since, giving her formula directly into her belly.

What I'm asking is.. my niece has recently begun her bottle feeds and she won't take the bottle. At all. So they're considering sending her home with a feeding tube placed directly into her belly button to her belly. Then of course we'd have the machine that feeds her, plus we'd have to try the bottle on her. They're suppose to be trying 3 times a day and they do it once.

Has anyone, or does anyone know of anyone who had a baby or child at home with a feeding tube and machine like I mentioned? How did it work out for you? We have to attend a class to show us how to clean out her feeding tube, and how the machine works, etc.

Any advice or help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

July 21st, 2011, 09:54 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
There was one who hosted this board several years ago, but I've lost touch with her. Darnit! I know another whose baby had a feeding tube through the nose, not through the belly, but she's in the hospital with a preemie newborn right now, so she's no help either. Ugh! ... let me think on it.

Are you making a list of questions to take with you to your class? Once you get the hang of it, I don't think it's a big deal (other than when a child decides to yank it out for themselves!).
July 21st, 2011, 10:41 PM
She's got the NG tube in her nose right now, but when she comes home it'll be through her belly button.

I'll start the list soon I think, I just ultimately want her home where she belongs. She actually yanked the tube out of her nose already, for her belly button we're going to have to tape it to her belly to make sure she can't haul on it.

July 22nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Good luck! I hope everything goes very smoothly for you both!
July 23rd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks hun!!!! She will be getting it his week at somepoint, and the placement I mentioned was incorrect, it will be in her stomach, not belly button. So a GI Tube. Scary but it's all going to make her better!

July 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM
They're much more common than you might think. As long as you keep it clean and free of infection, there really shouldn't be an issue.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search