Miralax WARNING!!

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM
My 2 year old went through several hours of throwing up and I began to feel upset because I couldn't get her stomach to settle. Took her to hospital #1. They gave her something for nausea and fluids through an IV. Told me she will be fine once the bug runs its course. FAIL #1

She seemed to be acting a bit strange the next couple of days just not her normal agreeable self. Then throwing up again that morning. Took her to the Pediatrician and was told she is severely constipated so we need to perform a clean out over the weekend. This consisted of an enema and a couple of days of very high doses of Miralax. She seemed to feel better and life went on with a follow up appointment coming in four days with the Pediatrician. FAIL #2

Two days later throwing up again. We live an hour from All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg, FL so I loaded her in the car along with my 18 year old daughter to help me in case she got sick while I was driving. Away we went with my husband asking if I was sure the whole way on the phone with me. In the ER they took an x-ray which showed she is in fact still severely constipated. Two enemas and several hours later still sitting in the ER the doctor tells me they have to admit her and run a tube through her cute little nose to her stomach so they can pump laxative through her to remove the impacted stool. So begins our stay at the hospital with no change of clothes or anything. I spent all night changing her constantly and finally got to go home the following evening in time for dinner. The doctor made it clear she must have Miralax (a whole capful each day) until further notice. Ok no problem so we begin the daily dosing. FAIL #3

Now a few points that I notice when looking up this wonder drug Miralax. Clinical name is Propylene Glycol which is also found in Antifreeze. Yes I said antifreeze but hey what do I know I am not the doctor right? So fast forward two weeks and my child is now stuttering when speaking to me. This has never happened before and I am concerned. She has been able to speak full sentences clearly with no stutter up to this point and suddenly she can't anymore? Hmmmm call doctor to ask and they respond that this could be a development thing for my child and nothing more. Wait that would make sense to me if she hadn't already been talking just fine but being a reasonable person I asked myself what changed. Oh yeah Antifreeze (did I say that) Miralax in her diet. So to Google I go and find tons of stories of children developing neurological defects that have been taking it. So I look for research that has been performed on children taking this poison. There is none and none in progress.

OMG I am alarmed at this point!! I don't want my baby to go back to the hospital for constipation but neurological issues are even worse. So I drove straight to the nearest natural foods store and explained the issue. All they said was Probiotics and throw that poison away. Handed me a bottle while I was frantically asking questions and paying for it. I took it home in March 2013 and haven't looked back. My daughter stopped stuttering after about a week of no poison called Miralax and as of now has not been sick with anything since. She is a happy, healthy, smart little 3 year old with no stuttering. Do you and your child a favor and refuse Miralax it will harm your child.
July 25th, 2013, 03:03 PM
aislin22's Avatar Regular
That is so scary! My sister and her kids use it regularly! I will have her research it more!

Tags
antifreeze , miralax , poison , propylene glycol , warning

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search