Hi I am new to the board! I have 2 1/2 yr old Identical Twins. One was diagnosed 11 days ago with Type 1.

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2007, 02:45 PM
Regular
My main concern and question is about his diet.
They told me he was on a 1500 calorie diabetic diet.
He should be getting 30-45 carbs per meal and 15 carbs per snack.

He is on Novilin N and Novolog. He is currently on LOW dosage because he is in the "honeymoon" phase.
My family all have mixed opinions as to what he should be eating.

On other boards and through what I have read it pretty mch says I should beed him the same as before just cut out the sugar and high fat (deep fried) and starchy carbs (rice, noodles etc). My husband has Type 2 so we don't do a lot of that stuff any way. My husband keeps comparing it to his Type 2 and I have been told that Type 1 is not like Type 2 but more the opposite.
We have a follow up appt with the diabetic educator and nutritionist next week but I need some help before then!
THanks in advance.
Crystal
October 1st, 2007, 02:52 PM
calebsmom_paulswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Crystal,
First of all welcome to the board, and I am so sorry you have to be here You are right about the differences between type 1 and type 2, they are two different diseases entirely. My suggestion to you would be simple...feed your child what you would normally feed your child until the visit. Write down everything y ou give to him, and take it with you to the nutritionist. There are many many things he can have in place of the starches and goodies, that he won't even notice the difference. I do have one suggestion to you though...seeing as how he is so young, and being such a trooper, you may want to get him some sugar free popsicles as a "good boy" prize for tolerating everything so well. One popsicle is a "free carb" and he will feel more "normal" especially if he was used to getting yummy snacks occasionally. Know that we are always here for you. Good luck. By the way, if you ever need a person to talk to on a "real level"...call me anytime. My email is pcassidy@bright.net if you ever need anything, I'll gladly send you my number. My son has been diagnosed since age 10 (he is sixteen now) and we have gone through everything with this disease...as a matter of fact we are preparing to go to the doctor now...I think he has strep. Denise.
October 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you have a reason to be here, but I'm glad you found us. My ds was diagnosed almost 2 years ago. Diet was a big stress factor for me in the beginning as well. Our nutritionist really pushes lower carb foods, but the endo and nurse practitioner tell us to feed him normally and count carbs & dose the insulin accordingly. I guess we kind of do a combination. He does eat normally most of the time, but we have cut way back on junk food & sweets. No more sugary drinks either. For drinks he mostly gets water with a crystal lite packet added to it or the occassional diet soda. We also encourage him to eat more veggies. My dad is a type 2 diabetic and I'm constantly reminding him that ds's diabetes is different and so his diet & insulin regimen is different. It's hard for a type 2 to understand, I think.

On a side note, I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about switching his insulin to Lantus & Novolog or Humalog. You don't have to adhere to a strict carb plan. We just switched a couple of months ago and it has been the best thing! My ds was on Humulin NPH & Humalog. He was on a strict carb plan where he had to have a set amount of carbs for his meals & snacks at specified times. It was so hard because sometimes he wasn't hungry enough for the amount of carbs he was supposed to have and other times he wanted more. Now that we've made the switch, he eats when he wants and he doesn't have a set number of carbs. It's much easier! We just keep up with how many carbs he eats and then dose his insulin accordingly. It means more shots, but honestly it's less stressful than trying to get ds to keep eating to reach his carb limit when he's not hungry or to deny him more food when he's still hungry.

{{{hugs}}} I know the first few months are so hard. Please know that you can come and cry or vent here whenever you need to. We're here to be a shoulder to lean on. We all understand.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

October 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM
Quote:

He is on Novilin N and Novolog. He is currently on LOW dosage because he is in the "honeymoon" phase.

On other boards and through what I have read it pretty mch says I should beed him the same as before just cut out the sugar and high fat (deep fried) and starchy carbs (rice, noodles etc). My husband has Type 2 so we don't do a lot of that stuff any way. My husband keeps comparing it to his Type 2 and I have been told that Type 1 is not like Type 2 but more the opposite.
We have a follow up appt with the diabetic educator and nutritionist next week but I need some help before then!
THanks in advance.
Crystal[/b]

Quote:
Quote:

THanks in advance.
Crystal[/b]
[/b]
Hi Crystal - I am sorry to hear about your son. My grandson was diagnosed almost 4 months ago with Type 1 - he has just turned 2 years old. He is also in the "honeymoon phase". Our endo told us to let him eat whatever amount he wants and then count the carbs after he is done. We then give humalog based on the carbs. Those #'s you have seem really high - Ashton averages between 20 -30 carbs per meal and 10-15 per snack. He is also on lantis which is a 24 hour long lasting insulin. I hope that helps -- we are still new to this but learning every day.
October 8th, 2007, 10:09 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
I'm sorry you have a reason to be here, but I'm glad you found us. My ds was diagnosed almost 2 years ago. Diet was a big stress factor for me in the beginning as well. Our nutritionist really pushes lower carb foods, but the endo and nurse practitioner tell us to feed him normally and count carbs & dose the insulin accordingly. I guess we kind of do a combination. He does eat normally most of the time, but we have cut way back on junk food & sweets. No more sugary drinks either. For drinks he mostly gets water with a crystal lite packet added to it or the occassional diet soda. We also encourage him to eat more veggies. My dad is a type 2 diabetic and I'm constantly reminding him that ds's diabetes is different and so his diet & insulin regimen is different. It's hard for a type 2 to understand, I think.

On a side note, I would encourage you to talk to your doctor about switching his insulin to Lantus & Novolog or Humalog. You don't have to adhere to a strict carb plan. We just switched a couple of months ago and it has been the best thing! My ds was on Humulin NPH & Humalog. He was on a strict carb plan where he had to have a set amount of carbs for his meals & snacks at specified times. It was so hard because sometimes he wasn't hungry enough for the amount of carbs he was supposed to have and other times he wanted more. Now that we've made the switch, he eats when he wants and he doesn't have a set number of carbs. It's much easier! We just keep up with how many carbs he eats and then dose his insulin accordingly. It means more shots, but honestly it's less stressful than trying to get ds to keep eating to reach his carb limit when he's not hungry or to deny him more food when he's still hungry.

{{{hugs}}} I know the first few months are so hard. Please know that you can come and cry or vent here whenever you need to. We're here to be a shoulder to lean on. We all understand.[/b]
I have to agree. It depends on the kids age. A lot of doctors start out with humalog or Novlog and the Novlin N or NPH. The problem with it is you have to time the food with the insulin instead of the other way around. With Lantus and Humalog you figure the insulin for the food instead of the food for the insulin. It's more shots that way though so it has it's own drawbacks. I have a teenager now, but Austin was diagnosed at 5. We've been fighting this disease for 10 years now. He prefers Lantus and Humalog because he likes to eat when he feels like it. Eventually an insulin pump is something you might want to look into, but most doctors won't go that route until you've been on shots for a while. We've used quite a few different insulins over the years as well as the pump for a while so I have a little experience with all of them.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search