ADVICE ON GLUCOSE METERS

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Hi Everyone - I have not been here is quite a while, busy as always. I need some advice on glucose meters. We are still using the one that was given to Ashton in the hospital - Accuva Avia I think. I have heard that there are some meters that the strips are built-in. Has anyone used these or have a favorite? We seem to be wasting test strips - only have 3 min to test and sometimes Ashton is not cooperative (can't blame him)

Thanks............
October 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Veteran
We use the freestyle flash (dd is 5 yo) and really like it. It requires a very small amount of blood to test, and won't start the test until there is enough blood on the strip. It also has a back light and lights the testing area at night (we still test 2-3 times a night!). I usually don't put the strip in until I am absolutely ready to test her, so I have never had a problem with it timing out or anything like that. You can also download the memory to your computer, which is helpful - it generates a bunch of differnet graphs and charts so you can see trends. We have used other meters, but this is our favorite. Hope this helps...
Steph
October 17th, 2007, 03:43 PM
calebsmom_paulswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have always been fans of the Ultra One Touch (Caleb really got into the "mini" versions also)...uses very tiny blood drop, results in five seconds, but you have to put the test strip in. We too would wait til it was necessary when he was younger. Now however since Caleb has the pump starting on Monday (we start saline AGAIN tomorrow) we will use the meter that "speaks" to the pump. If you would like to try one for free...send me your address, I have a coupon for a free meter...it comes with lancets and strips. All you need is a prescription for one and your doctor will gladly phone that in for you. You can also ask your doctor (pediatrician or peds endo) and they will have different meters you can have for free to try out and see which one you like best. Good luck! Denise.
October 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We use the Ultra mini most of the time. We were using the freestyle before that and really liked it but my dd really liked the pink machine. I just wish the mini links you could download to your computer. The Ultra 2 you can as well as the freestyle.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Quote:
We use the Ultra mini most of the time. We were using the freestyle before that and really liked it but my dd really liked the pink machine. I just wish the mini links you could download to your computer. The Ultra 2 you can as well as the freestyle.[/b]
Thanks for the advice everyone. Boy - you all are such a wealth of information! It is really hard here in Nevada to get information. There is only one juvenile endocrinolgist in Northern Nevada - can you believe it takes 6 months to get an appt. I will check out the freestyle and the ultra. THanks again!!!!!
October 19th, 2007, 12:21 AM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
We use the Ultra mini most of the time. We were using the freestyle before that and really liked it but my dd really liked the pink machine. I just wish the mini links you could download to your computer. The Ultra 2 you can as well as the freestyle.[/b]
Thanks for the advice everyone. Boy - you all are such a wealth of information! It is really hard here in Nevada to get information. There is only one juvenile endocrinolgist in Northern Nevada - can you believe it takes 6 months to get an appt. I will check out the freestyle and the ultra. THanks again!!!!!
[/b]

Nana--
where are you in Northern Nevada? My parents live in Reno....I think as far north as you can go & still be in Reno. I don't think regular endo's are too easy to come by in that part of the country either...my aunt has type 1 & it has taken forever to see an endo with her insurance.

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
October 19th, 2007, 06:38 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
We use the Ultra One Touch and we've used the Freestyle in the past as well. I like both of them.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 20th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]

Nana--
where are you in Northern Nevada? My parents live in Reno....I think as far north as you can go & still be in Reno. I don't think regular endo's are too easy to come by in that part of the country either...my aunt has type 1 & it has taken forever to see an endo with her insurance.

Kim
[/b]

Hi Kim - We live in Reno and yes it is extremely hard to get into see an endo here. She is taking appts now for May 2008.
It is very frustrating.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search