Austin's A1C and endo appointment

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Dh took him, which I was glad for. It was a big stress relief. His A1C was 8.7. This was a huge relief for me. Although, it's still not a "good" A1C, it is way better than his last one 10. something. Now, we'll just keep plugging along with it, but feeling a lot better. I wish dh could take him to all of his appointments. They don't stress him out like they do me.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
calebsmom_paulswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Teresa,
Everytime I see you post about how stressful Austin's appointments are, my heart just breaks for you. If you don't mind could you please express for us what makes it so difficult? I can't imagine any peds endo making someone feel "guilt", you should all be working on the same team. Does Austin like his peds endo? We have gone through our fair share of doctors but we are so happy with our current one. Our last one was a godsend also, we have been lucky with the past two. We lost our last one to a bigger better hospital. I am glad to hear that Austin's A1C is going down, that is so awesome for you. Perhaps it would be possible for your dh to take your ds to his appointments...you may have answered it yourself. As parents we can only do what we can do....you needn't feel guilt over your child's chronic illness...if anything you should feel support. You are in my prayers, and three cheers to Austin for his better a1c!
•*´¯*¯`*•.¸\*/¸.•*´¯*¯`*• GO AUSTIN! •*´¯*¯`*•.¸\*/¸.•*´¯*¯`*•

October 19th, 2007, 09:11 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Teresa,
Everytime I see you post about how stressful Austin's appointments are, my heart just breaks for you. If you don't mind could you please express for us what makes it so difficult? I can't imagine any peds endo making someone feel "guilt", you should all be working on the same team. Does Austin like his peds endo? We have gone through our fair share of doctors but we are so happy with our current one. Our last one was a godsend also, we have been lucky with the past two. We lost our last one to a bigger better hospital. I am glad to hear that Austin's A1C is going down, that is so awesome for you. Perhaps it would be possible for your dh to take your ds to his appointments...you may have answered it yourself. As parents we can only do what we can do....you needn't feel guilt over your child's chronic illness...if anything you should feel support. You are in my prayers, and three cheers to Austin for his better a1c!
•*´¯*¯`*•.¸\*/¸.•*´¯*¯`*• GO AUSTIN! •*´¯*¯`*•.¸\*/¸.•*´¯*¯`*•[/b]
It's mostly the attitude that they express that Austin's diabetes is simply my responsibility and not Austin's. It really irritates me. I do not need to be hounded because Austin decides to go in the cabinet and get something to eat and not tell me. He's 15 years old! When he was 12 and under he had great A1Cs because I was in so much control, but he's a teenager and he is going to have to take some accountability for this disease whether it is fair or not. I think they do him a disservice by spending the whole effort fussing at me and the "you're the mom" attitude. I can tell you this. I am a very strict parent. Stricter than most parents. I know where my child is at all times. I check his grades daily on the PIV viewer thing they have online for the high school. I cannot sit over him and watch him 24 hours a day any more. He's old enough to get his own food and lie about it. I am mostly angry because they have yet to really make a concentrated effort on helping me to change his behavior other than telling me that I need to take over everything for him. Even if I do take over everything for him how do I control his getting up and eating something and not entering insulin or telling me??? Do I lock up my cabinets? Lock my refrigerator? And even if I did that, what about school? Do I go sit in the classroom with him? It just makes me angry.

I asked them last time if Austin could have someone he could call in his numbers too. Their solution was for him to write them down and me fax them in because phoning in would be inconvenient for them. Now tell me, do most people have a fax machine at home? I don't. Faxing requires me to go and drive somewhere and pay a fee to have it faxed. Not to mention it is not making AUSTIN accountable for this, it's putting it back on me. I really wanted someone for him to check in with. Not someone for me to check in with. I worry about him a lot. He still doesn't have a snack on him in his backpack. I told him to keep one in there and every time I give him one he either loses it or eats it (and I have tried glucose tabs as well). I don't know. We are doing better, but it is still very stressful here.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM
calebsmom_paulswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree with you...Austin needs to be accountable to someone, even if it is just to himself. I guess the good thing we have going for us (as odd as it sounds) is that Caleb knows of several diabetics who have lost their feet and vision due to neglect...and it scares the crap out of him. I have always found that bribery works best with Caleb lol...nothing beats the cold card dollar. Perhaps a day of go-karts with dad if he has a lower A1C next time? Let me know if there is anything we can do for you. D.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search