If your son was retracted by a doctor or nurse...

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 10th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
"But foreskin retraction should never be forced. Until separation occurs, do not try to pull the foreskin back — especially an infant's. Forcing the foreskin to retract before it is ready may severely harm the penis and cause pain, bleeding and tears in the skin."

-American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)

---

Although circumcision is becoming less and less common, some nurses and doctors are still ignorant about intact penis care and will prematurely/forcefully retract boys to "look", "check", or "clean"...or instruct parents to do so. On another support board, mothers frequently report this happening, usually accompanied by feelings of guilt for not having been more on guard, often commenting that "It happened so fast..."

The best ways to prevent this are to a.) Find an intact-friendly/knowledgable pediatrician, b.) Keep a copy of the AAP Recommendations in your diaperbag, c.) Sign an Intact Care Agreement and ensure there's a copy in your chart, as well as in your diaperbag and d.) Remind any nurse or doctor that goes near your son's diaper area that they are not to touch his penis, nor manipulate/retract his foreskin in anyway.

If your son is prematurely/forcibly retracted without your consent, be proactive and take action. Not only will help protect your son, but educating these care providers helps ensure other boys in their practice will be cared for properly in the future.

---

The attorney for Doctors Opposing Circumcision, John Geisheker, will send a letter to the doctor/nurse/hospital pro bono (free) on your behalf telling them what they did was wrong and the consequences. It isn't a letter stating you'll sue but it is fully referenced and ought to get their attention.

Email him at kiwijohn2@cs.com

Even without filing a lawsuit, there are plenty of ways to get the doctor's/hospital's attention on premature retraction by sending letters attaching the AAP recommendations on caring for the intact penis.

Link Here

Here are some people and organizations to cc on your letter:

-The CEO of the hospital (even if it didn't happen in the hospital, find out where the offending doctor has privileges and send it to those hospitals)

-The hospital's risk manager

-The head of the department (OB, peds, emergency, etc.)

-The state medical board

-The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (Link)

Complaint Form

Any parent can also go to the medical licensing board website of his/her state, and download a medical complaint form. They can then fill it out with the following violation:

Dr. ___ caused severe pain and trauma to my son, ___, by forcibly retracting his foreskin on (date), in direct violation of the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines which state that "the foreskin should never be forcibly retracted." I have attached a copy of the AAP guidelines on foreskin care. If their are more details (excessive bleeding, scarring, etc..these details should be added).

Speak up! These doctors and organizations need to know that the "care" they are providing is inappropriate and harmful.

PS: If this happened to your son, please feel free to share your experience here.

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
March 3rd, 2006, 07:56 PM
last november an er nurse ripped my son's forskin back.
she was giving him a cath and she did it so quick...
and i was busy trying to comfort him.
i confronted her about it and she said it was red and bloody when she pulled it back. (duh skin tends to bleed when you tear it)
he had a cath done before with no problems.
dh had steped out of the room when they did this.
i told him what happened when he got back and he went off.
of couse i could not remeber the nurses name, plus she was wearing a regular winter coat (way to go for sanitary there).
dh kept calling the hospital trying to get her name cause he was going to sue. but he spoke to the nurse on the phone (who never gave her name) and blamed it on me, saying that i knew she was doing it and i was okay with it and that i knew it was red and bloody (yeah i did after the fact) GGRRRR!!!!
brye screamed bloody murder when he peed and it was bloody for about a week afterwards. i took him to his pedi that monday morning. (we were at the er friday).
she said she didn't think there was any permanet damage done.
she said the only reason why the nurse would have done it was because he's white and most white boys are circumsised and she must have thought it grew back.
okay... it looked a bit obvious to me BUT YOU COULD HAVE ASKED!!!
March 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(((Hugs))) to you both. I'm so sorry that your sweet little boys had to go through that.

Brenda,

Good for you for taking action, and having that letter sent to the hospital/clinic that did that to your son.

Melindayvonne,

RE: "she said the only reason why the nurse would have done it was because he's white and most white boys are circumsised and she must have thought it grew back."

That sounds like a referrence to adhesions, which is when some of the remaining foreskin on a circumcised boy refuses to the glans. Sadly, the statement proves they aren't up to date in how they deal with adhesions, either. If you have the opportunity, here's some information you could consider passing on to that facility:

---

J Urol. 2001 Mar;165(3):915.

Penile adhesions after neonatal circumcision.

Ponsky LE, Ross JH, Knipper N, Kay R.

Department of Urology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.

“In these groups we noted an adhesion rate of 71%, 28%, 8% and 2%, respectively. The rate of adhesions more severe than grade 1 was 30%, 10% and 0% in boys 12 months old or younger, 13 to 60 and 61 months old or older, respectively. The oldest patient with grade 3 adhesions was 31 months old. Skin bridges in 6 cases involved the circumcision line in 4.”

"CONCLUSIONS: Penile adhesions develop after circumcision and the incidence decreases with patient age. Although there is debate on whether to lyse these adhesions manually, our findings suggest that adhesions resolve without treatment. Based on our results we do not recommend lysing penile adhesions, except perhaps those involving the circumcision line."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...3&dopt=Abstract

“Penile adhesions occur frequently after circumcision. Some physicians advocate manual lysis of the adhesions. This procedure can be painful and traumatic. Penile adhesions are normal in uncircumcised boys and normally resolve without treatment.”

http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/...il.cfm?id=3420

Gil Fuld, M.D., F.A.A.P.

“Sometimes after a routine newborn circumcision, excess foreskin remains. Since newborn circumcision is not medically necessary, it's certainly better to leave a little extra than to take off too much and damage the child's penis.”

“So, it's a common occurrence in little boys for adhesions to develop under any remaining foreskin, although it's rarely a problem and practically never requires a repeat circumcision.”

http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_detaill...EGW1NC?_cat=474

Vincent Iannelli, M.D.

“It isn't really normal, but is a common complication after a circumcision. In a situation like this, penile adhesions form when the skin on the shaft of the penis attaches itself to the glans or head of the penis. In extreme cases, it can look like the child was never even circumcised, leading parents to believe that the child had a 'bad circumcision.'”

“If the skin is attached only on the very base of the glans, then your child has a very mild case of penile adhesions and you can likely just leave it alone. It should eventually separate, especially once your child becomes older, and anyway, forcing it apart would be painful.”

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/weeklyquest...nl_adhesion.htm

“The foreskin will almost always detach itself in time as a boy develops. It should not be forcibly retracted. This may lead to scarred adhesions that will not detach without surgery. Penile growth is not usually influenced by adhesion of the foreskin to the glans penis.”

http://www.henryfordhealth.org/19160.cfm

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
May 5th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Revamp's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Revamp Send a message via MSN to Revamp
Why must there be such ignorance and imcompetance displayed over this organ?

If such vast numbers of medical staff were so badly informed on any other part of the anatomy there would be an outcry but it seems that the much maligned foreskin can be yanked back when unready with even less fuss than when it is amputated.

I hope that the retraction myth dies as soon as possible and circumcision along with it.

http://www.observer.org.sz/main.asp?id=182...mp;Section=main
January 8th, 2007, 07:58 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It happened to my son when he was around 3 months old. But it was at an Urgent Care center because His pediatrician wasn't open and he had a nasty looking infection that I wanted looked at. The Nurse Practitioner that saw him just pulled it back pretty roughly and I wasn't sure what to do, she even rudely commented "Aren't you getting him circumcised?" I Need to see If I still have the medication she prescribed him to see if there is something that can be done about it...but then again it was about 3 months ago so im not sure if anything can be done now

January 28th, 2008, 09:25 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a RN. I even worked on a Labor and Delivery floor! In school we never were really taught about what to do with an intact penis (heck I still don't know-thats why i am looking at this forum). I didn't ever see a baby go home who was not circ. I assisted in many procedures though, and my heart cried each time I did-there is a reason parents aren't allowed in the room when we do it. I saw one go very very bad and swore to myself I WOULD NEVER do that to my sons. My DH at first was the same as all men with the opnion of the "infamous" boy's locker room issue, but I told him that I will not give birth to a human just so he can start chopping off healthy part of him. It cruel! Once my husband saw I wasn't kidding we compromised. He was very very passionate about having the child baptized Lutheran, which i wasn't. So finally he promised that we wouldn't circ our boy if i promised to have them baptized Lutheran. Easy choose for me because lets face it if our future son doesn't like either of our decisions, at least he has the option to change it for himself. BTW we are TTC in June 2008, no kids yet.
- Angela

I am a RN. I even worked on a Labor and Delivery floor! In school we never were really taught about what to do with an intact penis (heck I still don't know-thats why i am looking at this forum). I didn't ever see a baby go home who was not circ. I assisted in many procedures though, and my heart cried each time I did-there is a reason parents aren't allowed in the room when we do it. I saw one go very very bad and swore to myself I WOULD NEVER do that to my sons. My DH at first was the same as all men with the opnion of the "infamous" boy's locker room issue, but I told him that I will not give birth to a human just so he can start chopping off healthy part of him. It cruel! Once my husband saw I wasn't kidding we compromised. He was very very passionate about having the child baptized Lutheran, which i wasn't. So finally he promised that we wouldn't circ our boy if i promised to have them baptized Lutheran. Easy choose for me because lets face it if our future son doesn't like either of our decisions, at least he has the option to change it for himself. BTW we are TTC in June 2008, no kids yet.
- Angela

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search