Halloween plans?

Forum: Children's Health

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children's Health LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2005, 08:52 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
What's everyone's plans for Halloween? How are you planning to deal with the candy issue?

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan on the day to use a lot of INSULIN! LOL! And then keep only the good candy and toss the rest. I will add those good pieces to the end of dinner time and does accordingly.

October 21st, 2005, 03:31 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I feel for all of you with diabetic children this time of year can be really rough.

October 21st, 2005, 04:57 PM
kimnels2003's Avatar Super Mommy
My kids are going to a costume party at the neighbors house the saturday before. I'm not sure about the actual day of halloween. Hard on a monday. We may do a little trick or treat & then have a "spooky" dinner at home!

Kim

"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails."--Reverend Bernice A. King
October 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Veteran
We are planning on giving non candy treats...going to go to Oritenal Trading.com & buy bulk non candy items to give out. My ds got his costume...he's going to be a gladiator....this year....this is our 1st "d" Halloween...i'm a little worried to be able to keep this fun day as normal as he has had before...this is a nerve racking holiday for me.
October 25th, 2005, 11:59 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It will be okay! I promise! I was freaked out as well my first halloween. But you will see it will be okay.

October 28th, 2005, 07:16 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
We used to try the non-candy treats until Austin started having major emotional issues over it. It just wasn't worth it for us. Now, he gets candy. Halloween, his birthday, Easter, and the major food holidays we splurge on. We have gotten really good with covering with insulin. If you know how to give extra insulin for those treat days it really isn't such a big deal. Good luck to everyone!

Teresa

October 29th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Super Mommy
I am a little nervous as well since this is still all so new to us. Kevin had his Karate Halloween party today and he stayed away from all the candy and had chips, cheesies, cheese and crackers and something else. It actually broke my heart. I went over to him and told him that he could have a few treats and I went over with him and he chose a rice krispie square. he is so concious about it and says " I was really sick mommy and I don't want to feel that way again"
October 29th, 2005, 05:18 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally posted by mommy-2-boys@Oct 29 2005, 07:27 PM
I am a little nervous as well since this is still all so new to us. Kevin had his Karate Halloween party today and he stayed away from all the candy and had chips, cheesies, cheese and crackers and something else. It actually broke my heart. I went over to him and told him that he could have a few treats and I went over with him and he chose a rice krispie square. he is so concious about it and says " I was really sick mommy and I don't want to feel that way again"*
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Awe, poor baby. Austin was lucky and never got sick on diagnosis. We caught it really early. He is the complete opposite and definitely not conscientious about it.

Teresa

October 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Quote:
Originally posted by mommy-2-boys@Oct 29 2005, 06:27 PM
I am a little nervous as well since this is still all so new to us. Kevin had his Karate Halloween party today and he stayed away from all the candy and had chips, cheesies, cheese and crackers and something else. It actually broke my heart. I went over to him and told him that he could have a few treats and I went over with him and he chose a rice krispie square. he is so concious about it and says " I was really sick mommy and I don't want to feel that way again"*
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Awwwweee poor kid. Although it is good that he is good about watching what he eats. I was only 2 at diagnosis but I had gotten really sick and ended up in the ER....luckily I was young enough not to remember it.

October 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Veteran
Helo to all...We are 1 day away from that candy day...i received my box of goodies from oriental trading yesterday...and my kids were excited to see all the different kinds of things we are going to give out...at 1st my ds seemed taken back that we were not giving out candy but i told him we were giving out "tricks" this year instead of "treats", he will get his fill of candy as we go out trick or treating. I have set up the box & decorated it halloween style & put a sign on it "close your eyes" & we are going to let the children grab something out of it while they close their eyes....i though it would be something fun do to instead of being sooo focused on candy.

may you have a happy halloween..

lisa
November 1st, 2005, 06:17 AM
Veteran
Hello..i'm curious to see how everyones night was last night....My ds son did pretty well w/ his #'s & had fun going out to all the houses...it turned out pretty well bc for some reason people did not give out as much candy as they have in the past...woo hoo for me ....However, his class party was a little nerve racking for me bc we let him eat along w/ the other kids in the class the same things(i just kept track of what he ate & counted the cbs when we got home & gave him a bolus for what he ate)We checked his bs it was a whopping 516 We were taken back but we knew he would be high bc of the candy & snacks. He had fun which is all that matters & i can only handle a # that high 1x a year.

It seems as we survived our 1st "d" Halloween, thanks for getting me throough.

Lisa
November 1st, 2005, 07:13 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Austin's numbers will go sky high like that in no time. I figure once a year going high is fine. We didn't do too bad except this morning the kids got up before me and broke into the candy. Austin was in the 300s by the time I got up. He knows how to use his pump, he just doesn't. I have the candy hidden now. Hopefully they won't find it.

Teresa

November 1st, 2005, 07:45 AM
Regular
Well we did ok on halloween, Colby came home from school with a number of 424 so i gave insulin right away and for the rest of the night we did pretty good and didn't go over 200 which is pretty good considering all the candy. Now the only problem is keeping him out of the candy that he did get and only giving it to him when he's had insulin to cover it. As much as i hate to say it, i hate Halloween, it's just so hard seeing all the other kids getting candy and just digging right in and Colby coming home to just look through his for later.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search