Terrible reactions to the names I liked

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Name Games LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I have always thought that the name Cordelia sounded poetic and beautiful. If we were having a girl, I wanted to name her Cordelia Grace. I was surprised at the reactions that most had to the name, they were repulsed by the name and felt that the baby would receive endless teasing. For a boy, I had chosen Preston Paul and received much the same reaction from the boy name. When choosing a name, I think of all of the things that rhyme with it and avoid names that have cruel words that rhyme (children can be cruel after all), and think about how it would sound in a professional field, after all I don't think I would schedule an appointment with a lawyer named Candy or Billy Bob. Both of the names I chose were thought through but after hearing the reactions to them, I am not confident in choosing those names anymore. I am not the one who has to live with the name my entire life, my baby is, so it is important to choose a name that will not be met with harsh criticism. Are the names Cordelia Grace and Preston Paul as bad as people make them out to be? My secondary names are Shanda Kay and Sebastian Paul.
November 25th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Cordelia (Cordie) is cute. Not my style to use, but I'd think it was adorable on a baby I met, and Grace is a cute middle name to go with it. It's no weirder than a lot of the designer/actor kid's names that are going around. And Preston Paul is totally normal and classy sounding! Why did they not like that one? People are cruel sometimes and kids are going to find something to make fun of no matter what the name is. And those seriously aren't bad names at all. I say go with your gut. I like your first set of names a lot more than the second.

November 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I love Cordelia Grace & Preston Paul. Both are awesome names.

I know how you feel about people's reactions. When I announced that my dd was going to be Lucinda Elizabeth with a nn of Lucy, I got a lot of reactions. People suggested I call her Linda, Cindy or even Liz. Mind you this was 11 years ago & Lucy wasn't common at all.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
November 26th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Momtothe6thpower's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They'll learn to love the names once the baby is here. That's why so many keep names a secret until after the baby arrives.
I like Cordelia Grace, Preston and Sebastian Paul.
November 27th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Omg! I absolutely love Cordelia it is my favorite name ever!! When I tell people I like either Cordelia or charisma (obviously got the names from Buffy the vampire slayer) they just are so negative! If I have a girl I am strongly considering Cordelia, but i also like dads choice which is Ada. I learned years ago not to listen to people's advise on my kids names. I wanted to name my first daughter Cinderella (n call her Cindy or Ella) but didn't cuz everyone was way negative about that lol. Name her what u chose what u like. Follow your heart (Cordelia means heart)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search