Caffeine

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Veteran
What are your thoughts and opinions on caffeine? Anyone drinking still?

I'm still drinking 2 cups, my usual. Per the booklet I got from midwife, and what I read online.. 2 cups of coffee is OK, so I'm maintaining that. I would miss my coffee, shew. I don't really drink soda much, so that doesn't matter. Maybe once a month.

Anyone still having some?
August 26th, 2011, 09:50 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I drink 2 cups in the morning but I'm guessing that will change. With both my prior pregnancies, around week 8 or so I couldn't stand coffee and it made me sick to drinki it. So right now I'm drinking it. I think as long as you just have a little bit it is fine.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
August 26th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have really bad insomnia since becoming pregnant. I feel like I am on extra caffeine all day and all night. So I have cut the real thing out. I feel like if I did drink it I would never get any sleep.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
August 26th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran
^ it's not just me?
I have really bad insomnia, too? I've never had insomnia. I had it nearly from the day I got my BFP. I feel so tired, yet can't fall asleep.
That's actually why I neeeeed the caffeine. I would sleep all day If I didn't, because I can't sleep at night. Sigh.
August 26th, 2011, 11:24 AM
MommaLo's Avatar Regular
Still have my morning coffe but water rest of the day! I like to think it balances it out
August 26th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
^ it's not just me?
I have really bad insomnia, too? I've never had insomnia. I had it nearly from the day I got my BFP. I feel so tired, yet can't fall asleep.
That's actually why I neeeeed the caffeine. I would sleep all day If I didn't, because I can't sleep at night. Sigh.
I can't even really nap much! It's frustrating.

August 26th, 2011, 11:57 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't drink any caffeine really. I do like soda occasionally, but now that I'm pregnant, I'll stick to stuff that is caffeine free when I do have it. Except for my anatomy scan, then I'll drink a big ol pepsi to get that baby moving!

I too, am having trouble sleeping at night. I'm tired all day, but then at night I'm wide awake. I think its excitement maybe. Once I lay down I start thinking about the baby and I just can't fall asleep. Luckily I only have to get up early one day a week, and DD will usually sleep till 9 on the other days.

August 28th, 2011, 05:05 PM
justme907's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dropped the coffee...the smell has been making me so nauseus!! But I have to have my coke...I crave fountain soda!!!!!!!!
August 28th, 2011, 05:28 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I keep drinking a soda when I want it, usually if I'm out to dinner with friends. I liked what the nurses said in our childbirth class, don't drink 96 oz of Mountain Dew a day but having a soda or two a day won't hurt. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water. That was good advice because don't think I could ever give up my Dr Pepper completely!

I agree with the insomnia- I have been waking up at 2:30 or 3 am for the last week. I did the same thing with Allison and it seemed to be when she always woke up for a feeding!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
August 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
StephL's Avatar Veteran
I'm still drinking one cup of a light roast per day - it might just be a placebo but I can't start my day without it!
August 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I don't do caffeine at all, period. I get migraines and it keeps me awake, and gives me heart palpitations, so I don't have to worry about giving it up while preggo! I am experiencing the insomnia though! When I was pregnant with Kaiya I slept more than usual until the 3rd trimester, and the insomnia kicked in then. This early insomnia sucks, because I am sooo tired right now!

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com

Last edited by KaiyaRae'sMomma; August 29th, 2011 at 07:40 AM.
August 29th, 2011, 05:44 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
I dont drink coffee and only have pop once in a while which I will still do. As per the insomnia I wake up really early wide awake like 4 or 5 AM when I am pregnant. This morning I got back to sleep till 7 and then I had to get up.

August 29th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I had some "half the caffeine" coffee this morning. I have an OB appointment today and didn't sleep a wink last night. I didn't want to finally feel tired before I get my appointment done.

August 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
I think you can actually have up to 200 mg of caffeine a day while you're pregnant but nobody ever suggests that. LOL a nurse that I work with is 31 weeks and she drinks a cup of coffee in the morning and a coke in the afternoon if she needs it. 12 hour shifts are gonna kill me when im that far along.

I try to stick to just one caffeinated drink a day, sometimes two. When I was pregnant with my first I stopped drinking caffeine the last month. LOL I couldnt stay awake though.

Like a previous person said, just drink lots of water if you drink a couple a day. Thats the main thing, especially when you get further along. Dehydration causes contractions!! as well as UTI's, etc.

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
August 31st, 2011, 04:35 AM
beautyexists72's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had any and I was an avid caffeine-a-holic. I just am too nervous to do anything right now. But as soon as I get the okay and am in the clear, I may go back to at least a cup a day.
As far as sleeping patterns, so glad I'm not the only one. I seriously fall asleep at 9 or 10 (even though I feel ready for bed at 3pm) and I wake up at 4 or 5 wide awake too. I rarely go back to sleep. I did yesterday and woke up at 8:30 am and felt like a teen sleeping in til noon! So yeah, my patterns are a tad off.

August 31st, 2011, 05:32 AM
cdukes2010's Avatar Super Mommy
Since we started TTC I had cut my caffeine down to one cup per day. Over the weekend before the BFP I had a red bull that literally kept me up all night since I've cut back. I've been good since I got the BFP, no pop and only one cup of coffee today. I may have a cup of coffee once in awhile when I'm really feeling the fatigue. I've got that stupid head cold that's going around so the warm coffee helped my throat!

Photo by Astra Creative Photography
Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my awesome siggy!

August 31st, 2011, 08:13 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
The difference in amount of caffeine in coffee vs soda is pretty big... just to put it in perspective: Caffeine | Caffeine Levels in Soda, Coffee and Food

I'm an "everything in moderation" kind of person

August 31st, 2011, 10:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not a big caffeine person and rarely drink soda or coffee, etc. So, I haven't been having any, but that's the norm for me.

August 31st, 2011, 10:21 AM
cdukes2010's Avatar Super Mommy
Erin, thanks for the link. I wasn't even thinking about the caffeine in chocolate! I was thinking the dark was better for me but it has more caffeine . I guess I will reconsider when I think about having a cup of joe in the am at least until I am past the first trimester.

Photo by Astra Creative Photography
Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search