M/S medication ?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ok so my last pregnancy I was super sick but not actually throwing up just absolutely miserable, dry heaving, felt horrible, could hardly more, eating became something I hated and i still struggle to this day to enjoy food. well whenever I would go to the Dr. they would tell me it would go away in a few weeks so i would wait. well guess what it didn't go away. towards the middle I asked again about meds and they told me it would not help me "feel" any better the only thing it would do was keep some food down so there was no point in me taking it when it was just going to go away on its own blah blah blah. Well this time i know better it is starting again last night i was up past midnight in the bathroom waiting to throw up. finally it eased up enough for me to get some restless sleep.
ok so now that you have my book long background rant here is my question. have you used meds? did they work? did anything make you fell less sick all the time? or was it strictly to keep it down? I have tried about every single home remedy/ food you can think of there is noo way I am going to just wait and see this time around if there is any other possibility out there. I tried really hard to be all natural for my baby last time and i think i did him more harm then good. I spent so much of my pregnancy stressed, depressed, crying, and gagging. I am already using the tv as a baby sitter for my son way too much while i groan on the couch and I do not was to miss out on 8 months of his life if i have a choice....

wow if anybody read that whole thing you deserve applause. i guess i really just needed to vent lol very emotional today.

September 14th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was on phenergan with both my pregnancies and I'm on it now. I get m/s really bad. The first two pregnancies I could barely keep food or liquids down. This time it is a little better but not great. The phenergan works great. It takes away nausea so you can eat and drink like normal. The only problem is it can make you sleepy, so I mostly take it at night. I did try half this afternoon and I'm not tired. I hear Zofran is good too. But I had it before when not pregnant and it didn't work great fo me. Maybe you could ask about one of those? I don't see any reason why we should have to suffer severe symptoms when there are meds we can take. Especially when we are dealing with it while we need to be caring for other children.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
September 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
For both prior pregnancies (and will be for this one as well) I was on a combination of high dose Zofran & Phenergan. My OB at the height of the m/s also wanted to put me on Reglan but I refused primarly b/c I was a little freaked out on having to take so many meds and worrying what impact they might have on the baby.

In my case, the meds only helped me keep down fluids and tiny amounts of food (crackers, white rice) they didn't stop the nausea at all...so while I at least wasn't vomiting for hours straight, I still felt like I needed to. Zofran for me at least also causes horrendous headaches...non-stop, even when I sleep, like someone is pounding a nail into my skull. Even with those side effects, i sing Zofran's praises because I literally would have been hospitalized for the first 2 trimesters without it.

Maybe some others here have gotten relief from the nausea on the meds...that just hasn't been my experience with taking them...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
September 14th, 2011, 01:23 PM
does it help with the nausea too? or only keeping food down? because thats what the Dr. told me, but i think they just thought I was a crazy that was making up excuses to get on meds.

September 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Phenergan took the nausea away for me personally. So much so I went on to eat plenty and gained too much weight with my pregnancies.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
September 14th, 2011, 01:26 PM
thank you for your answers I hope I can find something that works for me.

September 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
for me neither helped with the nausea, and in fact I still threw up on the meds but it was back to a more "normal" level of vomiting maybe 1-2x/daily instead of hours and hours non-stop until I (with 1st pregnancy) ended up in the ER for IVs. I suspect whether it helps with nausea may be tied to just how severely you suffer from the m/s...a lot of docs are reluctant to give the meds unless you can't keep fluids down (and lose a certain % of weight) because the meds are not entirely risk free (although Phenergan has been used a LONG time w/o issue, Zofran is much newer).

ETA: i hope you find something that works too...if it gets to a point where you can't function semi-normally, i definitely think you should push to be put on something...if it doesn't help the nausea you can always stop taking it...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search