Breathable mesh crib bumpers???

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
BreathableBaby Breathable Crib Bumper - Ecru - BreathableBaby - Babies"R"Us

Has anyone ever used these? Are they worth it?

I know I don't want to use a regular bumper because I've heard horror stories of children suffocating in them. However, I've also heard many stories of babies getting caught in the slats/bars of the crib too. This seems like a good idea but I would like to know your experiences with them.
December 26th, 2011, 04:22 PM
maggzies's Avatar Veteran
Hmmm. I've never seen any like this....I would think it would certainly be worth checking into. Your crib slats aren't supposed to be wide enough for a baby to get caught in though, all cribs made now are too narrow for the baby to get an arm through by federal law.
Breathable bumpers are a lovely idea though!

December 26th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggzies View Post
Your crib slats aren't supposed to be wide enough for a baby to get caught in though, all cribs made now are too narrow for the baby to get an arm through by federal law.
We have an older crib that was given to us so I can see arms or legs getting caught if we don't have something to stop it. Even the ones in the store today were wide enough to get little limbs through. Maybe we don't have that law in Canada yet?
December 26th, 2011, 05:08 PM
maggzies's Avatar Veteran
I'd definately go with the breathable bumpers in that case, then.
They look safe to me, personally, being that they are breathable and they fit snugly around the crib. I don't see how a baby would run into any problems at all with 'em.

December 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I used one with both of my kids and will use it again with the new baby. It makes me feel better using it.
December 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure. I just used a regular one with my boys until they started moving around. Then I just took it out.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
December 26th, 2011, 05:51 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had one and though Kate didn't sleep in the crib at that point there was one major bonus to using a bumper - mesh or not: it keeps pacis and toys IN the crib! And there are some kiddos in Kate's playgroup that have gotten legs sticking out of the crib as a toddler.. Kate did once. She was yelling up a storm and I go in there to find she had kicked her legs out and was "stuck". Oi.

So for me? Yeah I think I'd do it again!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
December 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't used one but it does look like a good idea. DH wants to look at using them for this baby.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 26th, 2011, 06:47 PM
mommy2mykiddos's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never heard of these. I do know that some stores have discontinued selling bumper pads and I think I read somewhere that they are being banned because of suffocation risks.
December 26th, 2011, 07:39 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are 2 states that have banned bumpers from being sold, including these. They are now going with "bare is best". I still don't know what I am doing honestly. My babies sleep on their bellies too, all 3 have. I am not by any means saying don't use them, I just thought I should throw that out there
December 26th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We used one and it worked well for us since we used binkies and that kept them from falling out all night. The bumper that came with his bedding set we put away when he moved from his co-sleeper (which I LOVED) to his crib. I didn't feel confident enough to judge when the baby would start moving around, because sometimes they can flip over easily at a young age accidentally. I didn't want the first time to be in the middle of the night.

But we also used the Angel Care motion monitor and I LOVE that! It sounds an alarm when it doesn't sense motion from the baby. It went off once when he was itty bitty, and I had to pick him up and jostle him a bit to get him to breath again So scary. They should be mandatory!
December 26th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Super Mommy
I never had a bumper for my son and I won't this time around. It does keep pacifiers in, but I just bought a lot them and lined the up on his crib front. So when he lost it I had another at hand quickly. When they're infants they don't get stuck in the slats, their limbs are still to skinny. My son has caught his foot and knee in their before when he was a toddler, but he wasn't hurt. Once they're standing in their crib a bumper won't stop them from getting their limbs caught.
I use to roll up two small blankets, one for the end and one for the back and tuck them. It was to keep pacifiers in and keep him from bonking his head, he used to move around a lot. Even as an infant. He would move so much he's always corner himself, well his head would, and he would start to complain in his sleep and we would go slide him back to the middle. Honestly he was in a co sleeper until I felt he was able to pick up his head and move it side to side when he wanted to.
December 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM
StephL's Avatar Veteran
We didn't use any bumper at all until DD was about 6 months old and got her knee/leg stuck. It was very easy to remove, but it scared her and woke her up in the middle of the night a few times. We bought a mesh breathable bumper but honestly didn't use it for very long at all. By that time she was big enough and mobile enough to kick it out of the way and get caught anyways, and it just became such a huge pain to keep rehooking. We still have it but I doubt we'll use it again.
December 26th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
I wanted one when I was pg with my son but never got one and we were perfectly first e without one. Not going to use any bumper this time either.
December 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We used the breathable bumpers with Kendall & they worked fantastically. They are ultra thin & completely mesh. They are nearly like having no bumpers at all. My crib has a gap between the mattress & rails. I found they were just enough to fill in the space without presenting danger. They aren't as dense so they can't climb on them & fall out, I truely don't see how they could be a risk at all.
December 27th, 2011, 08:56 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd much rather have a stuck limb, bumped head than a smothered baby

ETA: With my last 3, this wasn't a big deal. They hadn't been pushing for it like they are now. That is why I had bumpers. The more I think about it....I am probably not going with one. But they are pretty darn cute!
December 27th, 2011, 09:10 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I used the breathable bumper with DS. It worked to keep arms and legs in for a while but then he started kicking over it and pushing it down with his legs. Probably won't use it again.

December 27th, 2011, 11:53 AM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
We have them. We started out with no bumpers with Kaiya, but she liked to turn around sideways and would bump her head against the rails or get arms and legs stuck in them. So we put on the breathable ones and they worked well. (just a side note: She died of SIDS, but NOT in her crib and it had Nothing to do with these bumpers or suffocation!)

ETA: I would not use regular pad bumpers, I do believe those are dangerous. I will use the breathable ones again, I think these are safe. They are made of the same mesh that is used on other baby products, such as the sids of pack and plays for example.

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com

Last edited by KaiyaRae'sMomma; December 27th, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
December 27th, 2011, 12:01 PM
GG1995's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2bemommy22 View Post
I used one with both of my kids and will use it again with the new baby. It makes me feel better using it.
Ditto!!

I used one with DS, and I loved it! I never saw him with his face up against it, but it was nice to know that there was air holes in it just in case he did get right up against it. I will be using it again with our new baby girl too when she gets old enough to sleep in the crib.
Baby #2 Our Baby Girl (Due in May 31, 2012) Miss Lexi Jaylee

Forever Missing our Angel Baby
who went to Heaven on August 13, 2011
December 27th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have one and will use it again. I need to figure out how to work it, though. DH put it in the first time and I think the instructions went out in the trash. It does get a little loose at times and falls down.
Maybe this baby will actually sleep in the crib - Austin never liked it. He went from cradle to toddler bed.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search