question about insurance for baby

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2011, 09:04 AM
aka shawna
i just got a open enrollment in the mail, asking if i was pregnant if i wanted to sign my baby up for insurance now. i think open enrollment is in march and september, i believe. or was it january. crap i dont know where i put that paper. anyhow, i just wondered, how do you enroll your child at this stage, when they arent born yet. no social security number even. i'm confused!

what are you ladies doing?
December 29th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Veteran
Here at my work (and this is probably pretty standard), you can add a baby right when they're born even if it isn't open enrollment as it's a "life event". With DS we waited until he was born and called my work to have them send in the insurance forms. They sent in the forms and signed him up w/o the SSN then we just called and gave work the SSN when we got it (about a month or two later). I believe i filled out the forms right before i left for maternity leave.

We will be doing the same for this baby.
Amanda - Wife to Ray, Mommy to DS #1 - Rocky (7/12/10). Baby #2 due 5/26/12!!
December 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM
aka shawna
oooh, now that makes more sense. i forgot about my husbands insurance, cheaper too, so that would be great. i got the letter from my individual insurance, which is a buttload more and they probably operate differently.

thanks so much!

wait one more question, sorry. ok i had my first child in england, so i have no clue how this stuff works over here.

what happens when baby is born. like, if the insurance isn't sorted by day one, how do they bill. is it out of pocket, or do they wait to bill baby's insurance, when that is sorted!

i know we have monthes to go yet, but i can't help but plan!

Last edited by chicknlittle; December 29th, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
December 29th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With ours we just bring in the social security card and birth certificate to get baby enrolled in DEERS then baby has tricare like the rest of us.

We just have to do it within 60 days and then it's retroactive from baby's birthday.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
December 29th, 2011, 09:44 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah we brought in her SSN and birth cert to DH's work when we got those (so a week or two) and then she got added to his insurance under a "life event". And it was retroactive. Any appointments we made with the dr they knew she might not be on the ins yet... I think they wait to bill, or if it comes back declined they'll wait and send it back in to them. It's a pretty common thing for them to deal with.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
December 29th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Veteran
yeah i believe mine was retroactive as well with DS, as long as you signed up within 30 days of the birth. and i think the hospital and pediatrician waited longer than that to bill anyways, i'm sure they deal with that alot
Amanda - Wife to Ray, Mommy to DS #1 - Rocky (7/12/10). Baby #2 due 5/26/12!!
December 29th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Same here. I will just notify HR when the baby is born, and probably just go in myself while I'm on maternity leave to fill out the paperwork once she has a ssn.

December 29th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What the other ladies said. Dh just notifies work of the babys birth, and they add it for us. its all retroactive. I don't pay anything until I'm sure insurance has added them.
December 29th, 2011, 10:08 AM
aka shawna
perfect! thanks gals!
December 29th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Same as the other ladies said! We have Kaiser through DH's work, so I deliver at the Kaiser hospital and they just send the forms in for us.

Vi's was the only difficult one since she was a home birth, so it took forever to get her enrolled with all the paperwork. But even then, it was done within 30 days of her birth.

December 29th, 2011, 03:10 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yup, what all the other ladies said I had this question with my first as well! (even though I know this isn't your first)
December 29th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With ours baby was always covered under mom's insurance for the first so many weeks ( I can't rem how long). By then you had time to get everything turned in and they switched it over to the baby's own ins. I always got bills for Female R**** (last name). Mine is the same as others said... it is a life event and so enrollment opens at birth for baby for 30 days or so.

Momma to
DD-15, DD-11, DD-7, DD-2 &
baby girl born December 20, 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search