Those who have circumcised sons

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2011, 11:30 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1995 View Post
We had our DS done right after he was born.....before we left the hospital. It took about 4 or 5 days to heal. You just need to keep antibiotic ointment until it heals all of the way. We used Bacitracin. (sp) I would rather have it done when they are small and do not remember it, versus when they get older and HAVE to have it done for one reason or another...then they may be tramatized and remember everything.

My insurance covered my DS procedure. I want to say the cost without insurance was between $500.00 and $750.00. That was 2 years ago, so I can't fully remember the price. We live in Florida. I am having a girl this time, but if it would have been a boy, we would do it again.
Our hospitals here won't do them anymore. They want you to find a pediatrician within the first week. I just made a deal with hubby though that he has to be the one to go back with our son and watch. I can barely handle shot days lol
Now I just need to call insurance.

}
December 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Super Mommy
just lurking here, but wanted to share my story. DS had his done while still in the hospital. The pediatrician did it. they took him to another room to do the proceedure, they gave my DS a Nuk w/sugar water on it (they asked me first b/c I had a no pacifier rule) they numbed it topically and did it. It was all done really quick and he wasn't crying when they brought him back in. It didn't seem sore or anything when we gave him a bath or changed his diaper.

my only reccomendation is to get vasaline in a squeeze tube! (not the tub) and put on 10x more then you think. the dr said to do it like a soft serve ice cream cone. start low and twirl it around the whole thing and well over the top. My SIL did not put enough vasaline on and her ds's got stuck to the diaper so make sure it is well lubed for the first few days at least.
December 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Super Mommy
It was done the day after he was born I think. I couldn't watch. My mom stayed in the room with him. I don't think they can numb it. They gave him sugar water, which he liked. I kept vaseline on it until it healed which was rather quickly...just a few days.

By the way, my ob did his circumcision.

Last edited by PIP; December 30th, 2011 at 11:59 AM.
December 30th, 2011, 11:49 AM
maggzies's Avatar Veteran
If this baby is a boy I will be having it done. I have a strange thing where I wouldn't be able to be involved with a man that was uncirced just because I find "it" so amusing looking. I know that's horrible of me, but it's just a personal thing...I wouldn't want my future son to get made fun of for "looking different" or have a girl laugh at him. Which I've done. Not on purpose. I couldn't help it.

December 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
beautyexists72's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggzies View Post
If this baby is a boy I will be having it done. I have a strange thing where I wouldn't be able to be involved with a man that was uncirced just because I find "it" so amusing looking. I know that's horrible of me, but it's just a personal thing...I wouldn't want my future son to get made fun of for "looking different" or have a girl laugh at him. Which I've done. Not on purpose. I couldn't help it.

December 30th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
In California, I think the current numbers are less than 30% of boys born today are circ'd. We won't be doing it, but then again most Asians aren't circ'd, so if our son was then he'd be the odd one out. IDK, to me it all looks the same when erect.

That being said, most of my friends with boys have circ'd. One had her son in Sept and waited until he was a few weeks old because she had difficulty nursing her daughter, and the OB and pedi recommended waiting to get a good nursing relationship going prior to the circ. Anyway, she ended up doing the Bell circumcision method (Plastibell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Supposedly, it's less discomfort/pain for the baby.

Oh, and if you do circ then keep it super moisturized with Vaseline or something. One of Lily's friends was circ'd as a baby and the bit left kept adhering back to his penis, and the pediatrician would just rip it off every appt (no pain meds/numbing cream). His mom gives anyone circ'ing a boy a giant vat of Vaseline or Aquaphor now

December 30th, 2011, 12:55 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
YES! If they happen to have extra skin left then make sure it's moisturized and you pull the skin back from time to time. Adhesions can be common.

December 30th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
YES! If they happen to have extra skin left then make sure it's moisturized and you pull the skin back from time to time. Adhesions can be common.

that happened with both my boys until I learned too really put a lot of cream on there. They cried a little when the doc pulled it back; and a little when I'd have to do it at home; but not bad at all, not even as bad as shots. Both my boys had one done at the hospital, and I don't think either DH or I watched. I know I didn't; but they didn't appear to be in any significant pain at all. No issues/problems here from it. I also ended up letting that be DHs decision. I felt like since we get to make so many of the early decisions/birth decisions, he should have that one; especially since he has the expertise in that department.

December 30th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it would be nice if people refrained from laughing about uncirced penises, considering you said you didn't want to start a debate, and also a couple of us that don't circ gave very nice, non-judgmental responses that were trying to be helpful. Do you really want this to turn into a why I did or didn't circ thread? Or why I find circed penises/uncirced penises to be funny looking? I mean if posting personal stories about our experiences with making fun of penises is where you wanna go ... I'm game!
December 30th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Obviously I have no boys and this was one reason why I feared having a boy.... I wouldn't know what to do either.

However, I do remember my nephew being about 6+ months when his was done because the insurance bucked on paying the hosp dr and they had to find a different dr. I think if I remember correctly it was more painful for him being older.

I would think in my opinion the older=more tramatic for the child and a chance of remembering. If I was electing to do it, I would at birth

Momma to
DD-14, DD-10, DD-7, DD-21mo &
baby girl born December 20, 2014

December 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
They numbed it and he cried for a few seconds and that was it. He never cried when I did diaper changes either, it was very easy to care for, I think it took about 7-10 days to be fully healed and no longer needing gauze to cover it.

Yes I would do it again.
December 30th, 2011, 02:50 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
I think it would be nice if people refrained from laughing about uncirced penises, considering you said you didn't want to start a debate, and also a couple of us that don't circ gave very nice, non-judgmental responses that were trying to be helpful. Do you really want this to turn into a why I did or didn't circ thread? Or why I find circed penises/uncirced penises to be funny looking? I mean if posting personal stories about our experiences with making fun of penises is where you wanna go ... I'm game!
Ditto. Not cool. Regardless of what side I am on, this is a friendly conversation. Not a debate and not a place to laugh and make fun. Pretty much your making fun of someones baby when doing that.

My older boys are circ'd. I stood outside the room with both. They were not numbed. Ethan had the plastibell, Julian had the full circ. They both screamed horribly. Julians *almost* had to get re-done. Even though I pulled it back EVERY diaper change and bath he had so much chub around his penis area (and was a small penis) that his penis pretty much rested inside of the baby fat. I have known a few young boys to have to get it re-done as well.
If you do, as ladies said, keep it moisturized really well with vaseline. Both of my boys had to go back when they were a week old to have it done. My insurance paid, when they shouldn't considering it is not medically necessary and considered a type of reconstruction.
December 30th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Veteran
1. did they numb it before? Yes, absolutely
2.Did that help keep pain at bay during the procedure? Yep. He didn't feel a thing (that we could tell, because he was totally chill during it). He was mad when they strapped him down (my children don't like being restrained) but not a whimper during the procedure.
3. How long did it take to heal? Two weeks?
4. Would you do it again? Probably. We don't think it's a big deal, and we've read all of the "vehemently against" articles and forums, yet we still feel that it's pretty much a wash benefit wise. To each his own. I leave the final decision up to DH, since he's the one with man parts, and ultimately I make him be in charge of the man parts on our children.

Our doc told us to use Neosporin, really pile it on. Worked well for us, it helped the healing and it kept the lube.
December 30th, 2011, 03:52 PM
dee.76's Avatar Happy Mummy to 4 boys :)
We have 3 boys and this one is more than likely a boy from what the tech said last scan.. Hopefully we find out for sure on Tuesday!!... Anyway, My eldest who has just turned 11, was circ at about 4 months old, mainly because he was having problems and medically needed to be done.... My other 2 aren't, even though my dh is... I would only be doing it this time, if its necessary... Over here in Australia, it is not 'offered' or 'recommended' by hospitals, you need to find your own dr to do it privately...

As I remember, from my 1st son, he was done with a plastic bell thingey that pretty much sits on there and makes it 'fall off'.. excuse my lame explanation of it but it was 10 yrs ago and I can't really remember how it worked... Apparently it was 'painless' for him as it 'fell off' after a few days... The only thing that I absolutely hated is that they wouldn't let me go in with him and I absolutely heard him SCREAM, I was a frantic mother in the waiting room... But apparently it was 'painless' so I don't know...

But again, everyone has their own views and I respect everyones different choices about whats right for their family or culture... But nope we wouldn't be doing it with this one..

December 30th, 2011, 04:00 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
This is one of my having a boy fears.
DH said its not a debate his son will look like him and have it done. I agreed because I have only known 1 person who had not had it done as a baby.
The 1 person I knew was a 3yr old boy I watched while I was doing child care. His mother was against getting him cir but when he was 3 it got stuck and infected and they had to go in and do it anyway. He was old enough at the time to know what was going on and for a good week or 2 after would cry when going to the bathroom about his pee pee hurting, and it just broke my heart.
So in my mind I would rahter just have it done as a new born rahter than it maybe becoming a tramatic event my toddler or school age son might have to endure.

If I have a boy I have to figure out who is going to do it because I thought most Peds do it around here but mine doesnt have rights to the hospital I am giving birth at. So will just some random person all call do it? I almost feel like I would want to request a plastic surgon??

http://lindseysphotography.com/
December 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
I have no idea if Aidan was numbed or not. But he slept through the entire procedure. The only bad thing that happened to us was no one told us how to take care of it properly and the doc who did it left a LOT of extra skin. His healed in a matter of days. But, because we didn't know to keep pulling it back and I didn't know what a properly snipped pee-pee was supposed to look like, his re-adhered. This past August we had a re-circ done because he was accumulating skin under the adhesion and it needed to be cleaned out. They had to put him under, but he's all good now, and he bounced back from the procedure like nothing happened.

If we had another boy we would have had a circumcision done, only this time we'd be much wiser lol.

December 30th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Veteran
They never do it at the hospitals here, it's done by the pediatrician, usually 2 weeks after they are born. I would rather they did do it right away when they are only a day old, I don't know why we've dropped that practice in the west.
December 30th, 2011, 06:00 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DS had it done and this baby will have it done. Our OB did it and he let us stand right there while he did it. He did numb it before the procedure and while DS didn't enjoy it, afterwards he seemed to have no pain from it. We did use lots of vaseline though.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
December 30th, 2011, 06:11 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaiden had it done at 8 days by the pediatrician at his 1 week visit (we could have had it done in the hospital but it was a very hard decision for us and we hadnt decided at that point).
The procedure itself wasnt bad, they gave him a bit of Tylenol and he was fine for that part, I dont think anything was even on it afterward and he didnt cry much at all...however, he was very active by 8 days old, and managed to kick it while I was changing his diaper later that day, which caused it to bleed - a LOT...we had to rush back to the pedi's office, and she stopped it from bleeding by wrapping it in gauze...but it was not fun at all to watch...
After that, we were very careful not to let him kick it and we put a TON of vasoline on it during every diaper change...it was basically fine within 3 days.
December 30th, 2011, 06:41 PM
maggzies's Avatar Veteran
I was providing my reason, I find it to be a bit overextending to say I was "making fun of someones child".

Get mad if you want to but I find that to be a ridiculous accusation given what I said.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search