Those who have circumcised sons

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2011, 08:17 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Everything I read or see is totally negative. So those who have actually had the procedure done on their sons:
1. did they numb it before?
2.Did that help keep pain at bay during the procedure?
3. How long did it take to heal?
4. Would you do it again?

}
December 30th, 2011, 08:21 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
My son was numbed. He also had a loose cir which left a LOT of foreskin so I'm not sure if the actual procedure for that is different.

He just nursed all day that day...when he would wake up. He was jaundiced and sleepy, if I remember correctly.

I think I'd do it again. Haven't thought about it lately cause this is a girl. But it's really a personal preference.. If you aren't comfortable with it then don't do it. I let my husband make the final choice on that. He thought long and hard about it. We're comfortable with that choice.

December 30th, 2011, 08:24 AM
beautyexists72's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have not done it, but will be doing it. I know that wasn't your question- but just thought I'd throw that in there.

December 30th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Well I find that most who have done it, want baby to look like daddy. My hubby is 100% wanting baby to look like him so he's for it. I just don't want it to be something barbaric where baby is feeling alot of pain.

**edited to avoid drama lol ***

Does insurance typically cover this since it may be seen more as cosmetic today?

}

Last edited by disneydiva76; December 30th, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
December 30th, 2011, 08:31 AM
We didn't pay for it.

I forgot to say it took about 4 days to completely heal. After the first two it was just treated it just in case.

This can get heated (From my experience on the debate board). I'm not interested in defending the reason I did, but only sharing how the experience was for us. That's my disclaimer. lol

December 30th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Lol Ty for the info. I am soooooo not looking for debates either. No drama mama here.

So please please no negativity or debates. Everyone has their own reasoning for it or against. I'm just wanting to know basic health info like posted above and moms "actual" experience.

Ty

}
December 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM
aka shawna
my husband was 3 or 4 when he had his done. he vaguely remembers having to wear something resembling a skirt, and taking salt baths. he obviously wasn't a newborn, but had to have the proceedure because he could not pee. his skin closed up. his dad felt so bad, he was given a lot of toys. lol. at his age, he did not remember pain, so i would imagine a newborn would be even better off.

i'm havng a girl, but if my girl ended up being a boy we would definitely circumcize. also, i'm not sure insurance pays... it may depend on your insurance, but from my first appointment at 8 weeks, they had mentioned $2,000. i could be wrong though, they didn't go into detail. your office might be better equiped to answer this.
December 30th, 2011, 09:00 AM
See, my husband DEFINITELY wants it done. And I thought that since I don't have a penis, I would go with what he wants. Babies every day have it done and DH swears he does not want his kid to ever be made fun of or singled out in his teen/young adult years. I am with him on that.

December 30th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyexists72 View Post
See, my husband DEFINITELY wants it done. And I thought that since I don't have a penis, I would go with what he wants. Babies every day have it done and DH swears he does not want his kid to ever be made fun of or singled out in his teen/young adult years. I am with him on that.
We are kinda along the same lines lol I'm so scared of the pain. I'm a wuss on pain myself so that scares me. Heck I keep telling hubby he can't pierce our girls ears bc it will hurt lol I'm strange I guess.

}
December 30th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Just request him to be numbed. I think our hospital would have done it anyway.

Get all your info in place and make an informed decision. I know DH just felt comfortable with having him circ'd. I didn't really know what to think cause I've had no experience with having a penis. lol

December 30th, 2011, 09:11 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DS had his done. I think the only problem he had with the procedure was he was hungry. so as soon as he saw me he wanted to eat. and we didn't have any problems with it healing either. it took a couple days, and he didn't really seem to mind. I would do it again. it did not seem to phase him much at all.

December 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I think everyone knows we don't circ. But I do just want to say, that pain for the baby wasn't one of the reasons I didn't want to do it. Soooo, as bad as it sounds, if you are definitely for circing, I think any pain associated with it just comes with the territory and if that's the only reason holding you back I wouldn't worry about it so much. That sounds terrible! lol I have heard from friends whose sons were in a lot of pain and the procedure was very traumatizing, and also from some that said it went fine it wasn't bad at all. Requesting it be numb sounds like a prudent thing to do.

And you can call your insurance and see if its covered. We had great insurance then and it wasn't. It just depends on your plan.
December 30th, 2011, 09:59 AM
JSquaredMom's Avatar Super Mommy
Saw this post and thought I'd chime in, even though I'm a few months behind you girls

With DS, we did it so he'd look like Daddy. I also didn't want to be the one explaining why his was different....which isn't really a huge thing, but really, its one less thing to worry about. I worry about enough things.

I had DH go and watch the procedure. They numbed with a topical, and it was like a 20 minute thing, there and back. DS didn't seem to care, or mind. He slept a lot then! It took a couple days to get back to normal, they just had us use vaseline so that his diaper wouldn't stick or get stuck to it. It healed quite well, and easily.

Insurance did/does cover it, but it depends on the state. It's elective, sure, but it's not something they pick and choose to fight you over. You can always call and ask your customer service/claims dept ahead of time.

Good luck!!

December 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hehe, I saw an episode of Real Housewives of Atlanta and the girl on there was having a boy for the first time and she was telling her bf/dh "Isn't it going to hurt???" And he said, "It's not like we even remember it. I'm not scarred or anything." laughing. That made me feel better.

December 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both of my boys were done and this one will be too. My oldest came back a little fussy and wanted to breastfeed. My youngest came back like it was nothing.

My half brother didn't have one done as a neweborn. When he was 18 the skin started swelling and wouldn't go down and he had to have an emergency circumcision.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
December 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
I nannied for a jewish couple with newborn twins and the boy was circ'd in the temple at 8 days old per tradition He cried but was easily comforted and healed great. Im pretty sure we will be doing Liam but I do have to look into the insurance. Does it go on the baby's or yours? cause we will be different insurances. Also What is a loose circ?

December 30th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyexists72 View Post
Hehe, I saw an episode of Real Housewives of Atlanta and the girl on there was having a boy for the first time and she was telling her bf/dh "Isn't it going to hurt???" And he said, "It's not like we even remember it. I'm not scarred or anything." laughing. That made me feel better.
Lol love that show!! Remember her saying I don't want my baby's penis to have a turtleneck? Lol Evette me I even think of circumcision now I remember her saying that and have that image of a "turtleneck penis" lol !

}
December 30th, 2011, 10:41 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
DS was circumcised. In our area of the country, it is very uncommon not to circ and that was a big consideration for DH. I went with him on the decision. I won't go further than that on the reasoning etc.

I think the actual circ was way more traumatic for me than for DS. I didn't even go with him for the procedure. The doctor said he would be topically numbed and given Tylenol. The Tylenol made him sleepy and made me stress out about breastfeeding for a few hours. I also hated that I had done something to alter the perfect little angel that I was blessed with. We will still circ DS2. I think it will be easier for me this time just because I won't be as stressed out about nursing and all that. However, I still struggle with this decision. I think it is the right one for our family though.

ETA: Also, my insurance did pay for it (minus copay of course).

Last edited by imdawn; December 30th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
December 30th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
I nannied for a jewish couple with newborn twins and the boy was circ'd in the temple at 8 days old per tradition He cried but was easily comforted and healed great. Im pretty sure we will be doing Liam but I do have to look into the insurance. Does it go on the baby's or yours? cause we will be different insurances. Also What is a loose circ?
I'm not exactly sure what the deal with a loose circ is other than they leave a lot of the forskin so the boy can grow into it and still have some of what he was born with. It just isn't attached to the head anymore.

An issue with circ'ing in the past would be when they took too much skin and as they boy grew into a man it would be too tight. That won't happen with my son. Good to know.

December 30th, 2011, 11:04 AM
GG1995's Avatar Super Mommy
We had our DS done right after he was born.....before we left the hospital. It took about 4 or 5 days to heal. You just need to keep antibiotic ointment until it heals all of the way. We used Bacitracin. (sp) I would rather have it done when they are small and do not remember it, versus when they get older and HAVE to have it done for one reason or another...then they may be tramatized and remember everything.

My insurance covered my DS procedure. I want to say the cost without insurance was between $500.00 and $750.00. That was 2 years ago, so I can't fully remember the price. We live in Florida. I am having a girl this time, but if it would have been a boy, we would do it again.
Baby #2 Our Baby Girl (Due in May 31, 2012) Miss Lexi Jaylee

Forever Missing our Angel Baby
who went to Heaven on August 13, 2011

Last edited by GG1995; December 30th, 2011 at 11:08 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search