please tell me she's going to be ok

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2011, 09:16 AM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I am really sick. I have a bad cough. I am coughing so violently, especially at night that I pee myself and/or vomit. I'm at risk for preterm labor because of the coughing. I started an antibiotic today from Urgent care and called the OB. The OB wants me on my inhalor and to get a cough med called Tephlon Pearls? Both are Category C. I don't do meds when pregnant, I hate it. But preterm labor would be way worse....I'm only not quite 22 weeks, she wouldn't survive. I don't want to take a Category C med...much less 2 of them. I hate my life right now. I just want her to be safe.

ETA: Tessalon Perles?

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com

Last edited by KaiyaRae'sMomma; December 30th, 2011 at 09:20 AM.
December 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Not sure what category these are but I had to take Rx pain meds and muscle relaxers with my last pregnancy and baby was fine.

Trust me, you don't want to have to see your baby in NICU. Avoid pre term, even if it means taking meds. Your OB wouldn't prescribe it if it would hurt baby. NICU is hard.

Hope you get better soon!

}
December 30th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks Deb. They are Category C according to my OB. "Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks."

December 30th, 2011, 09:39 AM
aka shawna
i'm sure you're fine hun. i take a class D, phenobarbital, and have had to increase my levels throughout this pregnancy due to grand mals, and baby is just fine.

my doctor did recommend extra folic acid. so maybe you can phone it in and see if that could help. but a doctor only prescribes these meds if the benefits outweigh the risks. i know its stressful, but helping you, helps baby.
December 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would probably just take the meds. Why are you coughing though? Is it an asthmatic response to being sick, or is it post nasal drip? Do you have nasal congestion? I would go in for a breathing treatment. I had to do that with this pregnancy when I was coughing a lot from a cold/flu, and it helped tremendously. Maybe ask your doc?
December 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM
mysticalgal28's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You def need to take the meds..... I had MRIs, CAT scans and x-rays done when I was only 10 weeks pregnant with my 1st. Was on way heavy drugs and had surgery done... you have to do what you have to do. Baby needs you to be well and keep her cooking!!!!! Hugs and hope you feel better
December 30th, 2011, 10:08 AM
beautyexists72's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When my doc said to me "You aren't going to get an award at the end of your pregnancy for not taking things to get you taken care of and healthy." It really resonated with me. You have to be healthy to be a healthy home for your baby girl. I know it's scary- but (and I know this is crummy to say) so many babies are born healthy in the LEAST healthy circumstances. I think you taking some things that are OKAY by doc, you and she will be fine and happier for it. I know it's scary- and I am sorry you are having to do this- but yes... It's better than drinking, smoking, or using drugs, ya know? Get yourself healthy, hunny. Maybe you won't have to use them for long...

December 30th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure why my cough is so bad. It started as just an annoying cough and progressed to a very violent cough starting 2 days ago and nasal congestion added to it starting yesterday. She did say to go to triage tonight or over the weekend if the meds don't help and I need a breathing treatment. I'm just scared in general. I'm only 22 weeks, and I know I need to keep her in A LOT longer. The thought of her coming too early is scaring the crap out of me. At Urgent care the doctor was worried about pneumonia, but my oxygen levels are at 100%. That's why he put me on antibiotics. He didn't do anything else because anything else he would do was category C or higher, so he said to call my OB and she what she recommended if I felt I needed something more. I mostly called her because I was worried about hurting the baby or going into labor from coughing too hard. I'm just really stressed out!

December 30th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Tessalon pearls. They have been around for ever. They are an old old medicine. My family doc writes a big script because he thinks everybody needs to have them on hands. if it helps, I'm sure she will be fine. I had a nasty cold just a few weeks ago. I had to wear a pad from it.
December 30th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would take the meds and try not to worry so much. I was on a category c medication my whole last pregnancy and for most of this one so far. My son was fine. I even had x rays and a bunch of other stuff done during that pregnancy. I think the baby would be much better off with you taking the meds and not coming early.

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
December 30th, 2011, 10:30 AM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
I had two sinus infections when I was pregnant with my first son, and I was on 3 different catergory C medications. 1 during my first trimester, and 2 during my second trimester. Everything went absolutely fine. They say that taking medications in the 2nd trimester is the safest trimester to have to take meds. So, i'm sure everything will go just fine.
December 30th, 2011, 10:30 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope you start feeling better soon! get yourself well and im sure baby will be too!

[IMG][/IMG]

December 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Take your meds and feel better. I'm a freak about taking medicine too, but you need to get healthy. That's very important while your immune system is already compromised.

December 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Super Mommy
Do you have other med options if you're worried? Can you take over the counter delsym, that's a pretty good cough suppressant. I would do facial steam for your congestion with eucalyptus or oregano oil or both. It really helps. I feel the same way about meds. I won't even take robutussin. But if it was really bad and uncomfortable like yours, I would take meds. I had a bad cough, no peeing , but crappy nonetheless and decided to wait it out. I would clench my butt muscles to divert the cough from my cervix, if that makes sense. I still do it. And she'll probably be fine...no use you suffering or risk going into preterm. You have to weigh the risks. Which is more serious?
December 30th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Kristin
Take the medication - I had bronchitis at the end of my first trimester which made my asthma flair up. I was on cough meds, antibiotics, etc. My little girl is doing great. My OB said if I don't take care of myself, I'm not taking care of my baby. Let's put it this way, to not take your inhalers means you don't breathe as well - you won't get as much oxygen - if you don't, neither will your baby. This was hard for me to swallow at first but it seemed far to logical to ignore. I hope you feel better soon!!

Also, since then I have felt a lot better and haven't been on medications other than stuff for morning sickness which just won't seem to die. Now that I'm better and over the hump with the bronchitis I'm doing the home remedy stuff to keep it from coming back (if I get sick I get bronchitis, colds always go to my chest) - lots of steam, nasal rinsing (this really works), honey, drink warm water etc etc. I really recommend the home remedy stuff too but it sounds like you're past that helping.
December 30th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I've tried every home remedy and nothing works. Tried Robitussin and it doesn't even touch it. Everything else is Category C anyway...so I'm going to take the Pearl things. Hopefully I'll only need a couple doses and it will calm down and along with the antibiotics I'll be better soon. Like I said I'm sure she will be fine, I'm just a major worry wart about this stuff, considering my past. I'll keep you all posted!

December 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm coming in late here, but I agree. IMO, Cat. C means they shouldn't be used regularly; but that if there is a valid need, then they are ok. I don't like taking extra meds either; but I also had very strong medicine early in this pregnancy as a result of the surgery, including taking pain meds and ibuprofen (all prescribed by the doc). Baby needs a healthy environment, but she needs you to be healthy too. I think it will be a lot safer for her for you to take the meds than to risk the complications of you getting sicker.

December 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think you've done all you can do in terms of trying alternatives and at this point, since preterm labor is a danger, then the drugs are a necessary step and the benefits outweigh the risks.

I'm actually on a category C drug, an anti-depressant. But I question their categories sometimes. The reason it was originally cat C was because there really weren't any studies so they couldn't classify it as anything higher than C. But regardless, I think there are situations when you do have a need greater than the risk.

Good luck, I really hope you feel better soon.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
December 30th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the benefits outweigh the risks, so I would take it for sure. The flu vax is Category C, and many pregnant women get that without a second thought, etc. You need to get healthy again to keep her in as long as possible.

December 30th, 2011, 01:17 PM
mommy2mykiddos's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiyaRae'sMomma View Post
Thanks Deb. They are Category C according to my OB. "Pregnancy Category C: Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks."
a chance of risk is always better than 0% survival.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search