What on earth???

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2012, 07:16 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Has anyone else seen this? I am sorry if you have used it/plan on it, but I think it is crazy! Whatever happened to letting a baby walk on his/her own? Not to mention, the longer a baby crawls the better it is for their all over development. Also, I would think that this would hinder in their physical appropriate development since it isn't done on their own. Thoughts?

Walking Wings
January 1st, 2012, 07:25 AM
amandasue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to amandasue
I looked up reviews on it and the reviews that have the most "this comment was helpful" were the bad ones! I think it is a stupid idea, pretty soon they are going to be turning our kids into robots and wont let them do anything on their own
January 1st, 2012, 07:28 AM
I could not ask for more.
Stupid... I don't know why people try and push their kids to walk. Aiden was 15 months before he was a true walker (100 steps without falling) and I had no problem with it!

January 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Crazy! ^^^^^^^ I'm with you on this one. Why push them to do anything? When they're ready, they will do it. My last DDC had a lady that would hold her newborn over the toilet to pee and poo.
Some are just um.....out there. Lol

}
January 1st, 2012, 07:34 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know that I would buy/use it, but I can see the benefits. At that early stage where they are trying and don't have the motor skills yet, it can be exhausting to try to walk with them holding on to their little hands. I think it would be an ok tool as long as it isn't the only way the little one is exposed to walking; there needs to be a good balance provided by the parents of chances to practice truly and chances to practice with the help.

January 1st, 2012, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Looks like it is designed for those that are too lazy to bend over and hold their childs hand... just my opinion at first glance....

Momma to
DD-15, DD-11, DD-7, DD-2 &
baby girl born December 20, 2014

January 1st, 2012, 08:00 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennmarie View Post
I don't know that I would buy/use it, but I can see the benefits. At that early stage where they are trying and don't have the motor skills yet, it can be exhausting to try to walk with them holding on to their little hands. I think it would be an ok tool as long as it isn't the only way the little one is exposed to walking; there needs to be a good balance provided by the parents of chances to practice truly and chances to practice with the help.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I've had friends that had little ones that wanted to be walked around everywhere, before they could walk on their own, and it killed Mom and Dad's backs.

Also, not so sure about the whole longer they crawl, better it is, thing. Not to be argumentative, but many babies skip crawling all together. It is not a necessary developmental stage.

As for the mom who put the newborn over the toilet thing. I've heard of that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is actually an attachment-parenting thing. It is about reading baby's cues etc so as not to use diapers. I don't believe it is about pushing potty training. I do have to agree this is a little out there, but to each their own.

But anywho, I would agree that using this as a push to teach a baby to walk would not be a good idea.

January 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM
~Always~Hoping~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is the craziest thing! Babies will meet their milestones at their own pace!

January 1st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3girls View Post
Looks like it is designed for those that are too lazy to bend over and hold their childs hand... just my opinion at first glance....
I'm kind of coming from a different experience..but with our 2 boys; they wanted to walk and their muscles/motor skills were just not up to par for them to be able to. And it was back-breaking and exhausting to try to let them walk as much as they wanted to, holding on to their hands. If I had known about this then, we probably would have gotten one. But I wouldn't label myself as lazy if I had..just a tired, back hurting mommy.

January 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM
Super Mommy
I've seen it. Wouldn't get it. It may just depend on your child. I'm not in a hurry for them to walk. He would walk all the time, just bracing himself on furniture..until one day he let go.
January 1st, 2012, 09:55 AM
mamaleddie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Call me old fashioned, I'll just let him hold my fingers! They come up with so many un needed things for baby these days...our parents just had blankets and maybe a bouncy!!
Toni-Ann~10
Sicily Rae~7
Yasmine Joanne~5
Aaron Michael Junior~ONE!!!! Adalyn Marie-Morrison has arrived! 11/25/2013! 34 weeks..doing well!
January 1st, 2012, 10:15 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
It might be good for kids that require therapy.

January 1st, 2012, 10:23 AM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
looks like it was invented by a mom with a bad back who didn't want to bend down to hold babies hands.

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
January 1st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Super Mommy
Haha. It probably was for moms with a bad back. Or maybe for grandparents raising children.
January 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Definetly not my thing, lol but I never push or practice crawling or walking really with them. Its something they develop in their own time. I also never got the whole pride in an early walker thing. Mine don't walk until a couple months past their first birthdya, and when they do its because they were motivated on their own, usually because they wanted to get from two small areas to another. When they are little and they learn to walk tho, that's when those head wounds start happening. so id rather it be learned as their motor skills develop naturally as opposed to a new trick I taught them. So, yeah, I wouldn't use it unless it was something a therapist brought up.
January 1st, 2012, 12:07 PM
maggzies's Avatar Veteran
I think there would be a good way to use it (support for children that are are already starting to walk when someone has back problems) and a bad way (trying to push the kid into walking too early).
It really comes down to how people use products. I think trying to push a child into anything before they are physically really ready is just mean but some people try to "encourage" too much and really end up "forcing".
Looks like an interesting invention for the right use though.

January 1st, 2012, 01:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Not something I would use. Lily was fully walking by 9 months and running by 10, Violet was walking at 8 months and running by 9 months. They were just early walkers...never dealt with any head injuries or falls from it. And it's something they just did on their own, we didn't push them to walk or anything. I actually thought Vi would take longer since I was the 2nd kid like her and I didn't walk until 13 months, but my sister (eldest like Lily) was fully walking at 9 months.

Oh, and neither DH nor I ever really held their fingers to help them walk. My girls always just wanted to do it on their own, so I don't think they'd like the wing things anyway.

January 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM
I didn't hold fingers to walk either. DS has always done things when he was good and ready.

January 1st, 2012, 01:46 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
It might be good for kids that require therapy.
I doubt any that I work with would approve of it lol!! They have other things they use that train a child in the correct way with proper body mechanics. Sigh, the things they come up with
January 1st, 2012, 01:48 PM
ok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search