Since we mentioned Torticollis

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had NEVER heard of it until I had him. It was, at the time, very difficult to find information on even. Here are a few pictures of him and I looked at them after he got the diagnosis and went...how didn't I see that! LOL Then after I would always check for that in other newborn pics lol

Note how is head is always to one side. It was ALWAYS like that. His was slight. Also, how his chin kinda pointed out a little bit. Oh the things my sweet boy has overcome and still is
If effected everything. Nursing, swallowing, fine and gross motor. He started early intervention at 6 weeks. His fine motor is JUST now getting caught up, and he is 4. He still has some swallowing issues, but I am unsure if that is something else or not. It is going to be brought up at his 4 year check. I had to quit nursing, as he never got a good latch and never initiated my supply. It hurt him too badly to turn his head that far in AND even if I positioned him right, his suck was horrible. His liquids had to be thickened to a nectar consistency and he weaned off that around 14 months. He still maintains a lot of spit and saliva in his mouth at all times and talks with a lisp, almost like he has weak muscles. To top it off, he also is on the autism spectrum. I love this child to death, but shew...in 4 years he has overcame a lot
ETA: Here is is at about 4-5mths old, you can really tell then.

Last edited by .:fearless:.; January 1st, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
January 1st, 2012, 08:40 PM
mommy2mykiddos's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My nephew had this. Took a year of physical therapy to correct it. He's 10 now and doesn't show any sign of complications from it luckily.
January 1st, 2012, 08:42 PM
Fantastic Julian doesn't now. At least trunk wise, but that is why his fine motor and obviously his gross motor was bad. Tummy time was literally painful for him and we could only do it for a minute or so at a time even at the request of his therapists. We just had to do it multiple times a day. We also had daily stretches that we had to do with all of his limbs and head/neck.
January 2nd, 2012, 01:55 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I would have never known about it til you shared this info. Even looking at his pics I thought well he looks perfectly fine to me.
Ty so much for sharing this! Sadly us moms don't know alot about things unless our kids get them but them we become their best advocate.

}
January 2nd, 2012, 05:24 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had never heard of this before. It is usually curable with therapy?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 2nd, 2012, 07:06 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
the twins i mentioned before that i nannied the baby girl had it. she got pt and we stretched alot i dont work for them now but im pretty sure shes fine. Ill add a pic if I can find it

Last edited by rmarie9509; January 2nd, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
January 2nd, 2012, 03:33 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
My best friend's daughter had it. She also had the flat head syndrome as a result. That is one reason it hit me enough to mention it in regard to the baby gear. I struggle to remember when she was diagnosed. They were able to remedy it without therapy. They went to a therapist and were given some exercises to do with her and when she got more mobile it seemed to help as well.

January 2nd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Yes, his neck is fine now. He just has other repercussions from it that he is still overcoming, such as fine motor delay (grasping a crayon/marker correctly, completing a peg puzzle)
I was adamant Julian would't get flat head syndrome, that is why he mainly became a tummy sleeper. It also didn't hurt him as badly to lay that way. However, tummy time while awake killed the poor kid. He slept in a baby swing till he was about 3 months old. My mattress was on the floor and I had a small portable swing that he slept in beside me. That was the only way anyone could sleep. Once he hit 3 months I started the transition to his bed. I started on his back and he hated it and screamed all the time. It was rough stuff.
January 2nd, 2012, 06:29 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
It so stinks when our little ones have to go through so much, so young! Sometimes probably tougher on Mom and Dad because we remember it all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search