Perineal Massage anyone!??

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Info

Video

Did anyone do this prior to their first childbirth? Anyone plan on doing it now?
January 2nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did it before DS1. I think it helped. He had a huge head (90+%) and I only had to have a few stitches.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 2nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That sounds good to me! I am not sure how I feel on the whole episiotomy versus tearing thing either.
January 2nd, 2012, 02:54 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
tearing heals faster than cuts do. And sometimes cuts have to be done, but sometimes they are done too prematurely and the mother could have stretched enough or had a tiny tear vs. a cut.

I didn't do perennial massage, but my son kinda shot out fast and I tore a little.

January 2nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Tearing naturally is usually a lot less painful and less stitches compared to an episiotomy. My hospital doesn't even do episiotomies unless they need the vacuum or forceps, which is rare. My friend had one there though and she had a 4th degree tear (tore through all layers up to anus, had to have surgical repair). I had a slight tear with both girls and only needed 1-2 stitches both times. I didn't even feel the tear and I went all natural. Do you sew at all? If you do, then think about fabric. If you tear it, then it usually tears fairly straight. But if you cut it first, and then it rips further it's usually jagged, etc. Same thing with tearing versus an episiotomy during the pushing stage.

I never did perineal massage, but when I was pushing Lily out one of the nurses was massaging me there (didn't know til DH told me after) to help ease the way.

January 2nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
beautyexists72's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, officially scared again.

January 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyexists72 View Post
Ok, officially scared again.
HAHA! You want an epidural, right? I didn't feel a single pain during pushing. The doctor had to tell me I had a slight tear and I just told him to stitch it up well And the aftercare of your lady parts is a delicate process even if you don't tear. It just takes a little time to heal.

We are very similar in our fears. I want to ease your mind in anyway I can!

January 2nd, 2012, 03:29 PM
.Jessica.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually had my hubby do it later in pregnancy. I have never needed stitches or torn for that matter. And my kids are big (im not sure thats something I want to brag about..just means my vagina is huge hahaha) Ill probably have him do it this time too

January 2nd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Jessica. View Post
I actually had my hubby do it later in pregnancy. I have never needed stitches or torn for that matter. And my kids are big (im not sure thats something I want to brag about..just means my vagina is huge hahaha) Ill probably have him do it this time too

You just cracked me up!! It probably means you are super stretchy which is a good thing for all sizes

January 2nd, 2012, 03:48 PM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
I didn't do it with either of my boys, but with DS1 my OB cut me for his convenience, and the recovery was HORRIBLE! With DS2 my new OB(the one I am using this time) massaged everything down there and helped his head come out without any tearing. I had a slight internal one that didn't need a stitch at all. It only stung the first time I went pee afterwards also.

I am still upset that my first OB cut me instead of letting things be. My first was 6lb1oz and the recovery as I said was horrible because of the cut. With my second he was 7lb5oz and only the very tiny internal tearing. If I can deliver my DS2 without much tearing at all..I should have been perfectly fine with my first. GRR!!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 2nd, 2012, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Jessica. View Post
Hahahaha! So you think the massaging helped? My kid had a big head when he was born. High percentile. He was a c section, but if I go vbac this time I am assuming I will have another large headed baby.

And with the tearing, I guess I worry about cases in which a small episiotomy would have helped baby come out versus a big tear that goes every which way. I dunno.

HOLD THE PHONE! Has anyone ever heard of the epi-no? I just found it googling, and I am fascinated! Here one woman reviews it:

Product Review – Epi-no Childbirth Trainer ? Mamas Worldwide
January 2nd, 2012, 04:28 PM
aka shawna
what exactly do they mean by tearing or stitches. its getting to crunch time and i'm starting to feel like i have anxiety or something.
January 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Veteran
I did do it and will be doing it again...my midwife also did it during the whole 15 min that I pushed with DD. I had some pretty intensive bruising but no tearing at all. DD wasn't very big though either..both of my previous pregnancies were delivered at 36 and 37 weeks. First, was breech.

January 2nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknlittle View Post
what exactly do they mean by tearing or stitches. its getting to crunch time and i'm starting to feel like i have anxiety or something.
Many women (especially in the case where baby comes out fast) tear slightly in the vaginal area (usually as the head/shoulders come out). There are different degrees of tears. 1st degree usually requires no stitches at all, 2nd degree usually has a few stitches to repair the layers, 3rd and 4th degree usually have a lot more stitches and the tear goes through most of the layers and/or all the way up to the anus.

Not everyone women will tear. Some doctors do episiotomies where they'll slice the area to supposedly help the baby come out. For most hospitals nowadays, this is not the norm though unless they need to use forceps and/or vacuum. Usually, a woman that naturally tears has a much smaller tear that is straighter compared to an episiotomy.

January 2nd, 2012, 07:16 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had 3 babies and yall made me crack up and cringe all at the same time. I have been cut twice. The first time was with my oldest, and he shouldn't of cut me. He was 6 weeks early. I remember glaring at them when they stuck me for the local there though lol. Agh, my jay jay hurts just thinking of all this!
January 2nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
beautyexists72's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
HAHA! You want an epidural, right? I didn't feel a single pain during pushing. The doctor had to tell me I had a slight tear and I just told him to stitch it up well And the aftercare of your lady parts is a delicate process even if you don't tear. It just takes a little time to heal.

We are very similar in our fears. I want to ease your mind in anyway I can!

Yes! I want an epidural! haha, good to know.. I was like "Oh crap.."

January 2nd, 2012, 08:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With my first, I remember the nurse sitting on the end of the bed with a little bowl of something and chatting with me. I had the epi, and we were getting ready to push. I didn't know it but she was doing it with the oil and stretching everything a bit. Dh told me later. I didn't tear a bit! My second delivery, people weren't near as nice, different ob and hospital, and I had to have stitches. Definetly ask the doctor about it! I am still grateful that my nurse was so sweet to do that for me!
January 2nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
therightgirl08's Avatar Super Mommy
I didnt do it with DD. I only had a micro cut as the doctor called it. I am still a little nervous about tearing this time around. I might have to try this.

January 2nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never did. And for those trying to misplace their fears... My epidural numbed everything except with my second. I had scar tissue from my first epi and so my second one only took on one side and by the time they got the anethesialogist back to my room it was really too late she was coming out. Third time epi worked perfectly. My first was a 5 week premmie and I am pretty sure when I think about it they did cut me with her. Not meant to scare anyone, just make sure your epi is working before the anethesia ppl leave,usually all they have to do is adjust the needle slightly.

Momma to
DD-15, DD-11, DD-7, DD-2 &
baby girl born December 20, 2014

January 2nd, 2012, 09:44 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My hospital doesnt do episiotomies unless absolutely necessary, and last time, since I had to push for a while, the nurse and OB gave me a great perineal massage (and I guess it helped since I just had one 2nd degree tear (not too bad)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search