Considering Being a WAHM. Experiences to share?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 2nd, 2012, 05:34 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
I am considering working from home for a year with my boys. Here are my ideas so far:

-Provide childcare for my best friend (she has one DD) and maybe one additional child
-Tutor - online or in-person. I am certified in elementary ed and middle school math.
-I am a inactive Mary Kay rep. I have a great director who would be great with helping me make some additional income through that avenue.

I know some of you have mentioned these as your source of income. I haven't necessarily seen anyone say MK, but I know some of you do Scentsy etc, which is a similar sort of enterprise. So I'm looking for your expertise. What are the pros and cons of what you do? How do you make it work for you? How did you get started?

Thanks ahead for your help

January 3rd, 2012, 01:45 AM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally, I do MK too - kind of. I learned that selling it isn't going to work for me to make money, but that's just me. You can definitely do it while you do one of your other choices too.

I have thought a lot about doing daycare at home instead of working, but since I'm not guaranteed the money and steady income, it won't work well for me in our situation. If you already have people to watch, that's a different story. I would also ask around at the local schools to see if anyone needs child care. You may find a need and having a background in teaching, I find that a benefit. What I found was a preschool program that was in home. It wasn't just daycare. It was much less then the preschool programs around and I love the small in home care with flexibility I need. That could be an option too.

Good luck if you choose to go any of these routes. They are still a lot of work, but spending time with your boys will be priceless.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

January 3rd, 2012, 04:39 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I sell Scentsy from home and I can bring in up to $900 on a good month. But it's an awesome product and sells itself really. For us, we do "basket" parties and/or home parties. To be honest, most people find it easier to pass around a catalog and samples @ work or to family/friends with my basket parties. It's harder to get everyone on the same schedule to even show up @ house parties. Which is awesome bc basket parties are soooooo easy and give me all the time I need @ home. I just give them the goodies to pass around, come back in a week or two and pick up the orders and presto!! It's that easy. The only time consuming thing is promoting it or driving around to drop it off. I try to plan all of my drop offs and pick ups in one day and just start like you would doing errands.
Plus I get alot of free or discounted product for myself. I've got them all over my house and car. Daughter has 4 of thE little stuffed animal buddies with scent pacs in them. I basically will never own or buy another regular toxic candle ever again.

For me this works. I can't compare it to a "normal" pay check. Not yet anyway. But if I want to make it grow, our director brings in $2000 a month sometimes. So there is that possibility available. It helps me pay for groceries on a slow month and we paid for a $3000 Disneyland vacation with it this summer so it wasn't out of hubby's pocket.
If I went and got a "real" job, I would have about $800 a month in daycare costs or work opposite shifts and never see hubby and the kids would never have us both together. I worked full time with my oldest and stayed at home with our youngest. Seeing how it was with my youngest makes me regret working with my oldest bc I can see all of the things I missed out on. I had no choice back then as a single mom. But knowing what I know now, I have made the choice to stay home with our kids until they start kindergarten. I then can start my career.
Those little moments through out the day I can't get back if someone else is with my kid all day long. So we downsize, we budget and we make it work. Hubby makes pretty good money too. But you have to weigh if the benefits or hardships of being a wahm is better or worse for your situation. Then it will be an easy choice.
Know what I mean?

Hope this helps!!

}

Last edited by disneydiva76; January 3rd, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
January 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
My best friend does MK and she is very happy to be staying home and they are doing well finacially. She schedules all parties for times when her DH can watch their son, and takes care of ordering and updating her kit while he naps. She also teaches an art class at the local library to preschoolers as shes a certified art teacher. I would think that would be your best bet is to do mary kay and tutoring together. Also ditto to what Deb just said about budgeting. Ive found that if you take a good look at your life most people can afford to have one parent home either working part time from home, or not working by making a few changes. For us I just quit my job. We keep a strict budget. We got rid of a car we were making payments on and bought one for 5,000 cash and now that Im not driving to work we save 2,000 a year. We also switched to a lower premium higher deductible health insurance since other than the pregnancy we dont really use it that often and the baby appointments are all covered by well baby. That's just a few of the things that worked for us. I hope you can make it work for you too because as a previous nanny and daycare teacher there is nothing that compares to the parent being home with their children.

January 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would do tutoring if I were you. I teach piano lessons and I make $40 per hour with basically no overhead/expenses. I have great families, so it's not stressful. DH does have to watch the kids while I teach, though. But if you devote 2-3 evening a week to tutor, you could make $200-300 per week which isn't bad for the time spent.
Once my boys are in school full time, I don't want to spend my evenings teaching but for now it works great.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 3rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I personally would go for the tutoring, only because good math tutors/teachers are needed. It's something you can do while your DH can watch the kids and not have childcare expenses.

I don't WAH only because my DH works out of town and I would have no childcare and I provide homecare to my mom.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
January 3rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks, ladies! I'm looking for all the advice I can get right now. I really value your opinions and insight.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search