Angel Care Monitor

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Since it was brought up in the bumper thread I thought I would start a new thread about it.

I just think everyone should have one. You can get anything from just the movement sensor to a full video sound temp and movement sensor. I personally want the full shebang.

If you havent heard of it you should look it up and just at least consider having one. My cousin had one and never had a problem and didnt "need" it, but my friend had it and it went off one night and even by time she got in the room her baby was blue. She gave him 2 breaths and he pinked up and was fine, but if she hadnt had it she wouldnt have known. Ive heard other stories too.

Does anyone else have it or have a story about it? Which version do you have?

January 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree COMPLETELY! People spend tons of money on stupid bedding, yet won't invest in a motion monitor that could save their child's life. Maybe they just don't know. I think they should all be motion sensor monitors!

I shared my story but will again. My son slept in our co-sleeper, on his back, at an angle. When he was an infant it went off and I had to rouse him by picking him up and rubbing him vigorously to get him to noticeably breathe again. Scared the pants off of me! I had a few false alarms too until I turned up the sensitivity. Then I was able to use it until he was past a year old and got really crazy with his sleeping at night (sleeping curled up in a ball in a tiny corner of his crib for instance) without any false alarms.

I had one of the popular ones from Amazon. I STILL use it at night as a regular monitor if I am sitting outside while my son is sleeping. So I am all for them!
January 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
And by stupid bedding I mean those ridiculously expensive $200 + sets for something your baby is going to pee and burp up all over
January 3rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We typically bed share so I have never purchased one, since it'd pick up on our movements in bed as well (or at least that's what I've been told/read). There have been a few studies showing that with bed sharing, mom and baby regulate each others breathing and the carbon dioxide exhaled by mom is shown to help stimulate baby's breathing as well.

ETA: if we didn't bed share, then I'd probably get one though.

Last edited by Twhylite21; January 3rd, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
January 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
We typically bed share so I have never purchased one, since it'd pick up on our movements in bed as well (or at least that's what I've been told/read). There have been a few studies showing that with bed sharing, mom and baby regulate each others breathing and the carbon dioxide exhaled by mom is shown to help stimulate baby's breathing as well.

ETA: if we didn't bed share, then I'd probably get one though.
Thats cool about the breathing, never heard that but makes sense to me. my bed is way too small to co sleep though plus we have a dog that refuses to sleep anywhere else lol

January 3rd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think co-sleeping is great. I could never do it though because I never trusted myself not to squash the baby. I figured not trusting oneself is a bad sign, lol
January 3rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
PuppyLove22's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jumping in from the June DDC, the title caught my eye =) I have found a new monitor that is very similar. Its called the Snuza Halo and it just clips on to the babies diaper. It has really good reviews and I have heard it has less false alarms. We cosleep but if for some reason we don't this time I will def be getting it!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my beautiful siggy!!

January 3rd, 2012, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Cool, thx for the info on that new one. I know one of the angel care monitors had a bunch of false alarm reviews, but I think that is usually because people didn't put the sensor pad in the middle (or where baby usually sleeps), and didn't turn the sensitivity up. I never had a problem with it until he was past the SIDS stage. I will check out that new one too just because.
January 3rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I opted against with with my daughter because she slept in our room til she was 4-5 months & had better head & neck control. Also, the false alarms may send me into a dang anxiety attack. I ended up getting a video monitor & the sound is incredibly senstive so it helped put me at ease because I could hear her breathing. I do think they are a great idea & may consider it this time again.
January 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM
I also just wanted to point out that not all "false alarms" are false sometimes the baby has stopped breathing but the alarm itself is enough to startle them awake so by time you get there everything appears fine.

Also thanks for the Snuza info i just added the snuza go to my registry!

Last edited by rmarie9509; January 3rd, 2012 at 11:23 AM.
January 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
I also just wanted to point out that not all "false alarms" are false sometimes the baby has stopped breathing but the alarm itself is enough to startle them awake so by time you get there everything appears fine.

Also thanks for the Snuza info i just added the snuza go to my registry!
Yup I have had that too a couple of times. Even watching him I could see he held his breath. It was only for a short period of time though. I think at that SIDS age where some babies hold their breath! Seeing as how it isn't good for them to do that, I was glad the little beep woke him up. It was only a couple of times though.
January 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
I am going to get one. I just need to fingure out which one to get.
January 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
NICU Nurse
I used the version w/out the video for DD. So it had the audio and the sensor for breathing. That was enough for me. Being a NICU nurse I would have been going in to check her breathing every 2 seconds because of what I know about SIDS statistics etc. Gave me peace of mind for sure!

January 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
I had never heard of it until that thread. It is on my Wishlist for sure. I think it is one thing I will definitely make sure I have. Even if it just helps me sleep better, it will be worth it. Peace of mind can be priceless

January 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Super Mommy
Not getting it here. Baby 4 for us, baby sleeps in our room next to me, and honestly, I don't need the extra stress. I freaked out about the baby's breathing ALL THE TIME with my first, and realized with my second that I needed to stop being so uptight. I follow all of the precautions for SIDS, and do all that I can to make a safe environment for my baby, but a monitor like that would make me crazy. Regular baby monitor at my house.
January 3rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
We had one without a video monitor, I used it with dd and got a lot of her moving off the sensor( it isn't very big) and with ds I just used the monitor no pad sensor. I really want a video monitor this time around. How much is the one with a video monitor?
January 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For me I didn't freak out about his breathing because we had the monitor. I didn't worry if he flipped to his belly, I didn't worry if he started chocking on spit up in the middle of the night that I would be too zonked out to hear it, I didn't worry at all! That's kind of the point, I think. All it took for me was knowing one baby that died to SIDS and going to their funeral to make me never take anything for granted when it comes to children. After seeing the pain those parents went through, it wasn't a question for me to get it. If it could happen to them doing everything right it could happen to anyone. But you know, billions of people do just fine without one, so it's not like you are screwed without one! I really liked mine though
January 3rd, 2012, 07:31 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really like the idea of it. but getting DH on board is another story.... he thinks most baby stuff is people being silly and paranoid. I on the other hand would rather be over protective and know I had done all I could then not.... maybe I can get the woman in my family on board before having a baby shower...? they are a little more understanding.

January 3rd, 2012, 08:13 PM
yeah Im a worrier so for me having it is going to be essential to me getting any sleep, and also because I know of real times it made a difference for people. I think the video one would be awesome but it is quite expensive like $250, but maybe a group of family or church people would go in on it together for us for a shower. I'd rather get that than clothes and toys you know? If we dont get that one though, I will be buying the movement sensor at least. DH doesnt seems to have an opinion but if he tried to argue he would lose bad lol and im usually pretty agreeable to his opinions lol.

January 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about this one??
Amazon.com: Angelcare Baby Movement and Sound Monitor, Blue: Baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search