Things the books don't tell you

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All our talk about delivery/newborns has me thinking..so btdt moms, lets see how many things we can come up with that surprised you with your first child. During delivery, recovery, newborn, etc.

Things my doc, the books and the boards didn't tell me.

~After not seeing my own vajayjay for about 3.5 months, the first time I see it post vag-delivery I will NOT recognize it. (Swollen much?!)

~I got shakes/tremors really bad after both deliveries, to the point where I was scared to hold the baby. (Still did, but was really nervous about it. I looked like I was freezing.)
~At some point around 4am, your adorable wee angel is going to look a lot like an alien. Especially in the dark when their eyes are open and all you can see is a pale face and 2 big ole dark circles.

~I didn't know with my second that the cramps are worse with each additional baby. I'm worried about that one this time. Also didn't know that breastfeeding makes the cramps worse.

What else can ya'll think of?
(By the way, my point here is NOT to scare our new mommies; I'm thinking of more of a fun thread, not horror stories, if that makes sense. We all know that even with all our dreaming/planning that deliveries don't always do what we say to do)

January 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
OMG, my cramps were way worse with Vi then with Lily! For me, they only lasted 2-3 days though at least, even with nursing.

First timers delivering at the hospital - don't be surprised when the nurse comes in and starts pushing hard on your belly. They're checking to see if your uterus is going down and don't be surprised if you start bleeding when they push!

Also, a lot of women pass fairly large clots (like golf ball sized) after giving birth with the lochia blood. It's normal.

If you're nursing, then don't be surprised for it to feel like you're doing it constantly. Babies do nurse a lot and as long as they're wetting 6-8 diapers per day after the first week, they are usually getting plenty of milk.

Constipation is fairly normal following a delivery...get some stool softener like Colace!

You will be surprised to learn that you can function on the tiniest amount of sleep and that instead of sleeping you may want to just look at your beautiful baby all the time.

January 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Scoobyrae1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My biggest thing that I had to learn was that newborns don't breath normally for the first 4 weeks of their life. Their breathing will speed up and then slow down alot of times. It scared me so badly that I stayed up all night long just to make sure she was ok and would only go to sleep when my DH got up. But it is perfectly normal and she was fine. This time, I am definitely sleeping

Thanks jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

January 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Definitely get Colace and DON'T STOP taking it until you feel like you are back on a schedule. That's crucial.

You do nurse around the clock in the beginning. Many think this means the baby is hungry all the time. Not true. They know to keep nursing to help milk come in and it's also comforting to them.

Vaginal delivery mom's might hurt when they sit on the toilet for weeks. I felt pressure and had to take it easy when sitting. Sometimes I would lean on one side.

make sure baby penis's are pointed downward when you put the diaper on. Otherwise you get a baby that wets the front of anything he wears.

January 3rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Kristin
Oh gosh - thanks for the heads up ladies! I think this is great, it's hard some times because they can't put everything in a book but at the same time some stuff, especially if you aren't expecting it and prone to worry (yep that's me). Thanks for the warnings, I'll be checking back for more updates!!
January 3rd, 2012, 12:09 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
Baby girls can have a "period" shortly after they are born, when they are regulating their hormones after bith. Didn't ever think of or know that. Scared the crap out of me. Called the ped. freaking out because my baby was bleeding "from her bottom".

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
January 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Plan on someone coming in to look at your bloody pad if you have a vaginal delivery. lol It got old really quick.

Babies kind of wake up on the 3-4 day of life so don't be surprised if your quiet baby turns into a crying one just in time for you to get home. Totally normal.

January 3rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Take stool softeners!! Nobody mentioned this to me. My first BM after my c section was very unpleasant.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
January 3rd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiyaRae'sMomma View Post
Baby girls can have a "period" shortly after they are born, when they are regulating their hormones after bith. Didn't ever think of or know that. Scared the crap out of me. Called the ped. freaking out because my baby was bleeding "from her bottom".

Holy cow, never knew that. That would of freaked me out. Why don't they tell you these things.

AAhhh the constipation 1/2 hr. on the toilet...just waiting for something to come out.
Well I had a c section and I didn't have a lot of what you gals were talking about.

But...after my c section I was scared to get up on my own because I felt like my abdominal muscles were ripping apart.

I recovered fairly well...partially because I believe I was in active labor when I had my c section. I read after that it was better for baby and mother to be in labor.

My incision leaked..twice. Didn't expect that.

I had tremors twice...no doc said I would. That was scary.

I pooped while pushing..that pissed my off.
January 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
maggzies's Avatar Veteran
Just wanted to stay thumbs up on this board, as a first timer I love reading advice from BTDT moms.
Never would have thought of a lot of this. O_o

January 3rd, 2012, 12:39 PM
I did an enema the night before my induction so I wouldn't poop during delivery. It worked. No issues there.

January 3rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh yeah, lots of women pee or poo when pushing. Usually, it means you're pushing correctly, so don't be embarrassed. I peed while pushing with both girls (just a little bit), but didn't poop.

The post partum bleeding might totally go away, but then if you do something more strenuous it can start again. That's fairly normal.

Wear the mesh underwear the hospital gives you. It's ugly, but it's better than getting blood all over your own panties after the birth. I didn't realize after Lily that I'd bleed so much - I almost passed out a few times.

January 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Mesh underwear!!!! I loved them. They don't slip around and they fit over anything you need to put in there like huge pads or ice packs. I made them give me extra pairs just in case I wanted them at home. lol

January 3rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
At most hospitals you can take tons of newborn diapers, mesh underwear, pads, etc from their stash. My hospital stocks each room with close to 10 receiving blankets, nose suction bulbs, etc and they expect you to take it all. I think some hospitals might charge, so ask first, but with mine they just dumped it all in a bag for me.

January 3rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Super Mommy
I liked the underwear too. Stock up!!!

And enema? No one ever told me that either.

Oh and get use to massaging your boobs if your nursing. I had boobs that looked like I got fresh implants.
January 3rd, 2012, 01:01 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you may never feel the urge to push.. I didn't i just did it when they told me too. I also never thought I was going to die lol I didn't go into the hospital until my regular appointment two days into labor haha the only advise i had gotten about when to go in was you will think you are dying...and well I never did. it hurt a lot for sure I just thought it would get deathly bad. I also did not poop while pushing but I did pee and I was not prepared for that.
you may also grow to hate pads haha I remember sitting in bed one night and just broke into tears I was leaking everywhere and just hurt, my boobs were leaking and the pads hurt and itched, and I was bleeding and it burned to pee. but after about a week things started settling down. but at the time it felt like it was going to go on forever.

January 3rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You can wash those mesh underwear and use them at home for a few days if u need them. Also, if your severly constipated, I've found if you make a pad of toilet paper and put counterpressure on your perenium it really helps! I know that sounds gross, but omg I was dieing. Lol
January 3rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
Thank you ladies. As a first time mom I really like reading this. I hope we can keep this going.
January 3rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The first few poos that baby has are usually thick (meconium) and black. Be prepared for very runny poo after, especially if you are nursing. And lots of babies can projectile poo, so be careful changing diapers!

January 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those first poos are hard to clean up too! very sticky.
~If you have always been small chested, when your milk comes in, don't be surprised to find out you look exactly like the Dolly Parton fairy visited you! Those things can get huge. And rock. freaking. hard.

~Boys are more likely than girls to be jaundiced. There are more than 1 type of light bed they can lay under. With my first, we suffered terribly through basically 2-3 days of me being awake 24 hours a day because of trying to get him to lay under the light when all he wanted was to be swaddled/held. With my second, we suffered through that for about 18 hours (between the nurses taking him to lay under the light in the nursery and in my room) before they and I decided to ask the doc for another option. They brought us a bed he could lay in with sleeves that we could put blankets on top of him in (and he would still be in the light) and it was like a different baby. Don't be afraid to ask question after question after question to your nurses and docs!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search