Cloth diapering..moms who do it or plan too?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2012, 06:40 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I have heard mixed reviews about cloth diapering. I really want to save money as much as possible and before I stock up on disposable diapers I want to know more about cloth diapering...what type do you use? Is it worth the money? Do you save money in the long run? Is it difficult to keep up? Please any info or thoughts would be great!
January 4th, 2012, 07:56 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did cloth with Kate until she was about 14 months old. We'll probably do cloth again with the new one, since we have them all.

For the money, it depends what kind of diapers you do. The prefolds and covers are really cheap and you can save a ton that way. But if you start getting into the more expensive diapers (like me, ahem) then suddenly it's not so cheap anymore... they can be $20-$30 per diaper (new). They fit GREAT and they are super trim and adorable, and many have adjustable sizing to last longer.... but that's still a lot of money per diaper and it adds up fast.

Now if you re-use it all for another child that cuts the costs significantly. And you can re-sell a lot of the stuff used, if you take good care of it. It's a bit of a PITA to take pictures and post them and mail them, but it's worth it to recoup some of your costs!

As far as usage, we had no problems when she was little. I found it really easy to do the extra wash, the breastfed poops don't require any extra care or anything, and putting them on and off was just as easy as sposies. Even my DH really got into it and told everyone how easy it was. (And he'd run laundry too, but he tends to put in too much detergent so I don't let him, lol.)

The problem for me came with she started eating table food 3+ times a day when the toddler poop really came out in full. If I had a diaper sprayer, and if I hadn't gotten pregnant, maybe it'd be different... but she outgrew the diapers she was using and I just called it quits, lol. So I guess I'm not as hardcore as some people. I like the cute dipes and all, but I'm not majorly obsessed with them.

But again, I think we will be re-using what we've got, especially now that we're having another girl (so I can use all my girl prints again). and I'll probably put Kate in cloth training pants for potty training.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 4th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've used them from birth through potty training with both Lily and Vi. It's extremely simple if you're breast feeding the first 6 months - you just toss all diapers (poo and pee) in a bag/pail and then toss in washer, do cold rinse and then hot wash/cold rinse. Once they're on solids (or if they're on formula, I think), you usually need to shake poo off into toilet first since it's not runny, but then wash routine is the same.

I used mainly prefolds/covers the first month or so, then pocket and all in one diapers. I spent well under $400 on diapers and that diapered both of my girls and they are all still in great condition to diaper this baby as well. I typically washed diapers every other day, and even with the added laundry it was easy to keep up and didn't change my water or electric bill.

Here's a site that has a good chart showing different types of cloth diapers: Cloth Diaper Types - Fitteds, AIOs, Pockets, and Prefold Cloth Diapers :: Diaper Jungle

I mainly use BumGenius one size pockets (I've found they work well from about 10lbs up through potty training), Fuzzibunz small and medium pockets (prefer these sized versus one size), and TKCuddler All in ones (again the sized versions). I also use some Flips, which are basically a cover that you put an insert into (very easy for people to use and they also have disposable inserts if you want).

Both DH and I found cloth diapering super simple and I've converted 2 of my friends IRL to it with their 2nd kids.

January 4th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Kristin
I haven't done it before but I am super excited and plan to use g-diapers. These are sort of a hybrid diaper. We figure at home and if we get good at it, then when we're out - we'll use the cloth inserts. When we go out if we're slow or some where we don't want to carry a smelly cloth liner with us, we will use the disposable liners.

We are getting gender neutral colors so we can use them again for our next baby someday which seems to cut down the costs at least some.

The big warning I've been given about this type is to be careful about putting it on the baby the right way, if it's facing the wrong way it will leak. This sort of seemed like a "duh" to me but LOTS of people had comments on this on other rating sites so, I made a mental note - "Teach DH which way is the front".
January 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM
mommy2mykiddos's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really wanted to do it with my last one...even bought some dipes but had no idea how to use them or what to do with them. Just could never "get it". I ended up selling them and using Huggies.
January 4th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After reading an article to DH about the money it can save you, he decided we should do it. The thought and looking at everything overwhelms me. I was leaning towards it in the beginning, but I really don't think I want to now.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
January 4th, 2012, 11:19 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I did it with DS starting at about 3 months (had to convince DH), but only part time, at daycare he was in disposables. I kept him in cloth at home till he was a little over a year, then just because of laundry issues (time to do all the loads) we went back to disposables. If you are a SAHM or WAHM I think it's a lot easier to do cloth, but working and keeping up with regular laundry on top of diapers gets to be a lot.

I most likely will use the cloth I have for a bit, but I doubt I will buy anymore- to get the ones I liked, they are expensive. Target disposables worked great and are rather inexpensive.

January 4th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've cloth diapered for over 3 years - it really saved us when we had two in diapers for more than a year. It has it's ups and downs, but it's definitely worth the money. If it doesn't take you too long to figure out what you like and you don't get sucked into trying new things (just because) or cute prints, then it's a real money saver. Cloth by Kim on FB and Hyena Cart has a great starter package for $165 - it includes pretty much everything you need from about 10lbs to potty training unless you have a big kid. My DH commented the other day that her diapers are better than bumgenius which is what we used mostly for the first 2.5 years.
I don't spend much time on diaper laundry - less than 15 min. a day probably. Beats having to buy boxes of diapers at the store and deal with all the trash.
I hope you try it and it works out for you!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

January 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
mrs_zipre's Avatar Loving my life!
I plan to cloth diaper! My mom taught me how to make my own. Then I've also ordered some Sun Baby diapers. I don't know if it will save me money, but I live in the county so I don't have city trash. I have to transport my trash to the county dump. That would be A LOT of dirty diapers to hold until the dump was open (only three days a week during business hours)
January 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
MommytoMandL's Avatar Super Mommy
I started CDing when DD3 was 6 months, we will with both of them, I have roughly 32 newborn sized diapers, and 22(currently) OS green line covers, 60 soakers, and 42ish newborn sized ones, I think i am more or less set for both kids haha

January 4th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
I bought a bunch of bumgenuis and while they served their purpose great, it was a total pain in the arse to keep up with. They were convenient when I ran out of diapers or was broke but I'd much rather use disposables.

I also scored some other kind with snap in liners on mamabargains and They were horrible.

He's already outgrown them all and they are all one size.
January 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
Another cloth diaper momma here. We haven't bought sposies in almost a year. At the time we were spending $80+ a month with 2 kids. I spent $320 on my current diapers. I think for total diapers this time around from birth-potty training I am planning on under $400. Not bad considering 1 child normally in sposies from birth to age 2(normal potty training age) is between $1500-$2000 depending on brand.

My oldest is now potty trained, the upkeep on my current diapers for my almost 14 month old is pretty simple considering we don't have a diaper sprayer.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 4th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Karine119's Avatar SAHM of 3 Drama Queens!
Send a message via AIM to Karine119 Send a message via MSN to Karine119 Send a message via Yahoo to Karine119
We haven't bought diapers since July 2010. Out of pocket (for 2 in diapers) we spent $500-800 so a lot less than what we would have spent on sposies (but DH and I are addicted to them, so we could have spent far less and made it). We plan to pick up roughly 20-40 NB diapers and then we are pretty much covered with one-size diapers in gender neutral/boyish styles for him when he outgrows the NB. So I have to say for 2 children fully in cloth from birth to potty and a 3rd in cloth for a year roughly $1000 is a lot cheaper than having to spend money on all the disposables.

January 5th, 2012, 05:46 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the input ladies! It does feel overwhelming but I think I might just jump in and try it out!
January 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I cloth diapered Miss Ava since about 8 months old I think? It's economical, ADDICTING and so adorable!! I'm not gonna lie, it's a little more work and tough and overwhelming at times, but it's worth it. I've come to terms with the fact that it's not absolute. I hate runny poops and sick poops, so when that happens, I switch to sposies...it's all in the personal preference. I do it because I think it's adorable and it saves us money

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

January 5th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Karine119's Avatar SAHM of 3 Drama Queens!
Send a message via AIM to Karine119 Send a message via MSN to Karine119 Send a message via Yahoo to Karine119
Becca that is just what I did when we started. My friend donated our NB stash and I would buy one here and there of different brands and found what we liked and either resold or used what we don't like on laundry days.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search