how do i know the difference..

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 4th, 2012, 09:04 AM
aka shawna
between leaking boobs and mastitis?

i saw that word in the bra post i think it was, and googled what it was. now i'm confused. the symptoms seem very similar to what i have now.

itchy boobs and nipples. also somewhat achey nipples at times.
and leaking gunk. i thought it was colostrum, but how do i know the difference?

i hate google, it makes me paranoid. is there anyone else out there leaking?

i have what looks like several leaks in each boob. its sticky and when it aches, it feels a bit like a pimple that needs to be popped. so i pushed on it, and this sticky stuff comes out. am i normal.

also, this is probably a stupid question...but would i ask my OB about this... or a family doctor? i don't really understand the purpose of the OB. does he just deal with pregnancy and pap smears...or this as well? ha. i almost wish i had a female doctor!
January 4th, 2012, 09:11 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Mastitis... from what I hear HURTS and you almost feel like you have the flu with it. You would know if you have it because its so bad most people have to be seen by a DR.
I have never had it but heard its horrible.
Leaking boobs well is just leaking boobs. Mine itch, get a little sore. When my milk came in I felt like I have rocks in my boobs but nothing as painful as clogges duct or mastitus.

Sounds like colostrum. I had it the last couple months with DD. Its a creamy white looking stuff and is really think and sticky.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
January 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hmm I would say you are probably just leaking. I have just started leaking also. I got mastitis though when I was breastfeeding DS and it was pretty obvious. it was hot to the touch it hurt pretty bad. and I even got a fever. I could feel a hardened lump in the side of my breast it was red and swollen.
for peace of mind though you could definitely bring it up with your OB. if I have pretty much any question at all while pregnant I ask them I trust them more than my regular Dr. to actually care.

January 4th, 2012, 09:18 AM
aka shawna
mines more clearish... a bit like neosporin...but, more thinner.

i see my doctor today, i'm just undecided if i want to bring it up or not. i don't want him looking. i'm such a child!
January 4th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You will know!!! Mastitis is very very painful. You probably would not be able to wear a bra. I have never heard of getting it until nursing. It usually happens when there is milk flow and it becomes restricted in some way...... not nursing when you need to, underwires, engorgement, etc. It is very normal to leak during pregnancy and it won't necessarily look like milk yet because milk doesn't come til a few days after baby is born. They do get very sore and itchy. I leak just a lil so far. My OB checks all woman things, including breast exam, so I would ask them.

Momma to
DD-15, DD-11, DD-7, DD-2 &
baby girl born December 20, 2014

January 4th, 2012, 09:31 AM
aka shawna
ahhh, ok. that puts my mind at ease so much, thank you ladies!
January 4th, 2012, 09:45 AM
mommy2mykiddos's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had Mastitis. It hurt like no ones business. I couldn't even get a bra on. Plus I had a temp. To me it almost felt like the flu with extremely painful breasts.
January 4th, 2012, 09:52 AM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
I am gonna say leaking.

Mastitis is VERY painful. I got it at about 7w pp with DS2. I went to bed fine but woke up at 4am with a fever. Called my OB when they woke up because it was then that I noticed I had a huge red spot that kinda looked like it had webbed out to around where the infection was. That is how you can also tell between mastitis and a clogged duct. With a clogged duct there is normally some pain/swelling. But mastitis you feel like you have the flu, fever, red spot that webs out, and just general BLAH!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I wish I could help. I can't release anything from mine including milk bc I had a reduction a while back.
Sounds painful!! I hope you figure out what it is and find some relief!

}
January 4th, 2012, 11:30 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got mastitis when breastfeeding DS and you will know it when you have it. It started with a clogged milk duct that got infected. I felt like a had the flu and my boob hurt extremely bad to the point where if you touched it I would cry. I'm not sure you can get mastitis until you are actively breastfeeding. I got it because DS would always nurse the same way and the dr. said I needed to be changing his position so he could completely empty the breast.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 4th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great explanations...mastitis is an active infection in your boob, and you def. feel awful. You can get clogged ducts without developing mastitis- it just feels like a little lump. I think it sounds like colostrum as far as your symptoms.

January 4th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Super Mommy
I've had it a couple times nursing each baby. Like a horrible awful flu, and a section of your boob will hurt so bad that even the air seems to hurt it. It will also be very red and hard and inflamed in at least one quadrant of your breast. I don't think you can get mastitis unless you are actually lactating.

I'd say what you have is 100% just leaking colostrum.
January 4th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the other ladies! I had mastitis 2x with each girl and it was fever, aches and other flu-like symptoms, plus a red spot on my breast that was warm to the touch and it hurt like heck.

Thin, clear fluid (or even thicker fluid) is generally colostrum. It's normal for your breasts/nipples to be sore/tender right now anyway with all the hormone changes, etc.

January 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM
mamaleddie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3girls View Post
You will know!!! Mastitis is very very painful. You probably would not be able to wear a bra. I have never heard of getting it until nursing. It usually happens when there is milk flow and it becomes restricted in some way...... not nursing when you need to, underwires, engorgement, etc. It is very normal to leak during pregnancy and it won't necessarily look like milk yet because milk doesn't come til a few days after baby is born. They do get very sore and itchy. I leak just a lil so far. My OB checks all woman things, including breast exam, so I would ask them.
Yep, you nailed it! IT FREAKIN' HURTS! And I ran fever, chills, green puss came out of my nippy's..sounds like a colostrum leak, but does seem a bit early..I would ask my ob..best case he'll refer you to a lactation consultant..
Toni-Ann~10
Sicily Rae~7
Yasmine Joanne~5
Aaron Michael Junior~ONE!!!! Adalyn Marie-Morrison has arrived! 11/25/2013! 34 weeks..doing well!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search