sweeping membranes?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2012, 06:26 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Has anyone had this done? I brought up induction, ect. with my OB today. I just really wanted to know where he stood on inductions, letting me go past my due date, ect.

He said he would not induce me, but he would sweep my membranes. And honestly i dont know if i want it done. lol. I really just want to go into labor on my own this time, especially since its my last. So in any case, im glad i dont get the option of induction like last time. Of course this is the one time when i dont have family around to just swing by and take care of my kids, although we do have people on call, its not the same. I know membrane sweeping doesnt work if your body isnt ready ( or so ive read) so im not sure what the point of it is. Anyone have any stories to share?

we did schedule a visit for a hospital tour today, its Jan. 23rd. I figured since im now 20 weeks and any issues will send me to L&D, i might as well visit it for the first time ever.
January 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't normally do it or plan on it, I went into labor on my own last time. I don't do cervical exams either - nothing messing up there. BUT if I were like a week late and stressed and they were talking induction, then yeah I'd be doing membrane sweeps and trying to get things moving.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 5th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok... I feel completely in the dark because I have never heard this term. Someone clue me in Please!!

Momma to
DD-15, DD-11, DD-7, DD-2 &
baby girl born December 20, 2014

January 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3girls View Post
Ok... I feel completely in the dark because I have never heard this term. Someone clue me in Please!!
A membrane sweep is when the OB/midwife takes their fingers and moves them around the cervix, with the goal of separating the membranes around the baby. It can release prostaglandins, which can sometimes help get labor started if baby and the body are ready.

I would not get my membranes swept unless I was over a week overdue and facing other interventions (like Pitocin).

Some providers do a membrane sweep without telling the mom during a cervical exam at a regular appt if she's dilated at all, so it's important to always make sure yours knows that you do not want it (if you don't want it).

January 5th, 2012, 09:22 PM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had my membranes stripped? I'm thinking it is the same thing. They did this at 39 weeks and 40 weeks. Both times I was not even 1 cm dilated and the baby was HIGH. It didn't do anything. It is kind of painful while it is happening, so be prepared. I ended up being induced anyway...I guess my body and the baby just wasn't ready.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

January 5th, 2012, 10:46 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I had it done last time with Lilly. The first time she dis it, nothing happened labor wise. I barely was dilated at all and it was a week before my induction date Which was due date anyway. I got super super intense period like cramping from it.

The second time she did it again, per my request, and same thing with intense cramping. I was still maybe a 1cm. Well the next day my water broke or more like leaked. I went in to check if that's what it was and they ended up keeping me bc it was in fact my water. I had her @ 2 that morning.
My induction was scheduled for the following day so she was born a day before due date.
But I personally have nothing against inductions. I've been induces with all of my kids and hope I will with this one as well. Then I know when it's coming. I'm already in a controlled environment to get my drugs and I don't have to worry about it all happening on it's own too fast and I can't make it to the hospital in time. My last one was 4 hrs start to finish so I know this one will be less.
But I always schedule my inductions close to due dates. I never go before 39 weeks and I never go over 40.

}
January 6th, 2012, 06:22 AM
i have no probelm with inductions either, but knowing its my last and knowing this is my last chance to get the " this is it, were having the baby NOW" feeling. I just really want to go into labor on my own. I dont plan on going early. My other two were 40 weeks 5 days( scheduled csection) and 40 weeks ( induced vbac ). So i really just want to give my body a chance this time, i dont mind going late. My doctor seems pretty laid back, and considering they dont induce, i assume he will have no problem with me going past term.
January 6th, 2012, 07:32 AM
amandasue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to amandasue
I dont remember getting my membranes stripped with my first son. With my second I had them stripped and nothing happened. 3 days later I thought I was in labor and went to the hospital. I was dilated to 4 and they sent me home bc I wasnt in active labor. I called my doc the next morning and they had me go in and see her. Well she then stripped my membranes again... That time it hurt like a SOB! and not even an hr later I was in active labor.... long story short... (LOL) my labor was 4 hrs from active to end! I would so get my membranes stripped again!!
January 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
I had it done. I went in for the 39 week appointment and the doc discovered that I was dilated 5 cm and 60% effaced but feeling zero contractions. He said I could wait around for something to happen at home or he could strip/sweep my membranes and speed up the process, but either way he didn't think I was going to make it through the weekend.

I let him do the sweep even though I honestly didn't think it would do anything (at the time I'd had a friend who had it done three times and never went into labor, she ended up being induced). But DH and my mom (who were with me at the appt) suggested I try it out, so I let him do it.

He basically did what felt like a cervix check, only slightly more painful. I started spotting right away (which he said was normal). The contractions started pretty much right away. I left the hospital and went out to eat breakfast with my DH and mother. I meant to go home right after that, but by the time my food came, my contractions were so strong I couldn't walk/eat/talk through them, so I knew I had to go back to the hospital. Not even two hours after I left, I was back in L&D having regular contractions, already dilated to 6 and 75% effaced lol.

I don't think it's the same as an induction though...if my body hadn't been ready, I don't think it would have done anything at all. But since I was already halfway done dilating and effacing, it did a really good job of just kickstarting everything, just without the use of drugs. BUT, if I hadn't been 39 weeks, I don't think I would have done it, I think I would have waited it out just to give baby a chance to bake a little longer.

January 6th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the consensus is that unless your body and baby are ready to deliver, a simple memrane sweep isn't going to do anything. It never did for me. I went on to be induced with all three. I don't see anything wrong with a membrane sweep, so long as your term jic the ob messes up and breaks your water.
January 6th, 2012, 11:48 AM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was just a couple days late with DD and my midwives refuse to do membrane sweeps so I didn't have one. They even let it be optional to have internal exams at all where most places start doing them around 37 weeks. I elected not to have any of that. That being said if you're way overdue and it's an alternative to pitocin it might be worth a try. I've heard it is a bit painful.
January 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Yea, i dont think i would let him do it before 40 weeks, i MAY consider it at 39 weeks depending on how far along i am, but really if baby isnt coming on its own yet at 39 weeks, im ok waiting the extra week or two.

Its someting i really need to talk over with him more, it was the first time i was ever faced with that option, so it caught me off gaurd.

I have no idea what im going to do, lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search