update on our little miss...and...i have a double placenta!

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Veteran
We had a dr appointment yesterday. Everything is perfect! She's still a girl (thank goodness!), her heartbeat was 142. I had opted for the quad panel blood test, and everything came back negative, which is a relief!

The only strange thing is...I have a double placenta. They aren't sure why, and said it's nothing to be concerned with unless I'm in a lot of pain, but it is a strange thing. Has anyone else had this? I was worried that there had been 2 babies at some point, but was assured that no, that wasn't the case. I'll have to do some more research on the subject I think.

We have a name picked, and I've picked the bedding. Just google "Zutano Owl bedding" if you're interested. I'm in love, it's adorable!

Only a little over 4 months to go...I'm getting nervous and very excited!

Edit: but now that i'm looking into the double placenta I'm reading that there may have been 2 fertilized eggs, but only one baby developed. Hmm. I'd love some insight on this from any of you who may have experienced the same thing.

Last edited by kld1981; January 6th, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
January 6th, 2012, 06:57 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad baby is doing good. I've never heard of a double placenta when their is only one baby but glad that it's not causing any problems.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 6th, 2012, 08:43 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Glad everything is going good.
I have never heard of a double placenta too. I have heard of someone having 2 bags of water around the baby though.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
January 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
Wow, never heard of a double placenta!!! So is one just hanging out all by itself, or is the baby attached to both??

LOVE your bedding choice, we picked the same set!

January 6th, 2012, 08:56 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I lost CJ's twin around 8 weeks. I was not diagnosed with a double placenta. His/her placenta was pushed aside/reabsorbed with the entire second sac.

There does however seem to be a lot of speculation about what it does signify. It could have been a twin loss (very early for the placentas to fuse), an incomplete twinning- there was a possibility that it was going to split into identical twins, but did not. Or just a random thing that happens.
Here is a link to a geneticists take and research on the question. He seems to poo-poo on a lot of the speculation out there.
Re: Two placentas, one baby.

January 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad everything went well at your scan. I have never heard of a double placenta, but I'm glad it doesn't sound like it will cause any problems with the baby. I love the bedding you chose. Very cute!
January 6th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Kristin
Glad she's doing well!!

The only time I've heard of a double placenta is talking with my mom - I was just me but with my brothers, they were twins. One of the ways they know if twins are identical is if there's only one placenta. I would imagine it's like you said, there were two eggs and possibly one was never fertilized or just never turned into a baby.
January 6th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Yay for a good appointment I haven't heard about the double placenta thing. I hope everything is okay!
January 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
How did the placenta grow if the baby didn't? I'm fascinated by this and want to Google it! Very interesting.

Glad the baby looks healthy!

ETA: Just Googled some stuff about it. It's amazing the stuff that can happen during pregnancy!! Wow!

Last edited by *Jillian*; January 7th, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
January 7th, 2012, 06:28 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad all went well! I have never heard of a double placenta either. That's odd!
Your bedding is adorable
January 7th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Super Mommy
I have never heard of it either. Is one larger than the other?
January 7th, 2012, 06:31 PM
~Always~Hoping~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear your little girl is doing well! I also never heard of a double placenta...interesting!!

January 10th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Veteran
I think they're connected...like, there's the main placenta, then a little loop, then the other one. They really didn't seem too concerned with it, so I'm not worrying about it, but I was also very interested in finding out more about it. I guess I'm a medical oddity!!

Thanks for the comments on our bedding, I think it's wonderful. I LOVE birds, especially silly owls, so the second I saw it, I knew that was it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search