Crib shopping..ugh

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2012, 03:18 PM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I started Crib shopping and I want to go ahead and buy one this week. I sort of have a list of how and what order I want to buy the baby stuff...

Anyway, so we have a dresser that we want to go in the babys room. we have been using it but its small and more suited for a child. Its a pecan honey oak sort of color with dark specks and dark handles...

I found a a few cribs I like but the ones I like are all the dark expresso color...one comes in a pecan color which may ( and I am looking at this one online so its a gamble) or may not match the dresser. I am torn because that one is $30 more for the same crib just different color! My thought is that I can go ahead and get the dark expresso and hope that the dark brown will kind of match with the handles and specks of the dresser..but i don't know that I want such a dark color in the room. The room is blue ( thankfully we dont have to paint it!)....anyway so I am so torn on what to do. I can get the crib and forget the color of the dresser all together..or I can try to match it and pay more..blah

Does your baby furniture match? Do you care?Idk...
January 6th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Could you restain your dresser to a darker color?

Lily is the only one we bought furniture for and we did all cherry.

January 6th, 2012, 04:17 PM
beautyexists72's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a cherry wood crib and a cream colored antique looking dresser. Since the handles of the dresser are dark, could it possibly blend in somehow all together without looking off? I bet it would look fine!

January 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
When I was pregnant with DD I had to have EVERYTHING matching.
Now looking back its not that big of a deal and waste of time and money because kids can/will ruin it.
My daughter chewed the heck out of the crib, broke the knobs off the changing table drawes & Broke the toddler rail to the crib. I am not about to buy another set just because I know this baby will probably do the same.

So I say go with what is affordable because when baby is about 3-4 years old you will probably buy the babys big kid bedroom set.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
January 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
You will care for about 5 minutes, haha

I put together a cute nursery for Mac, i told DH to take a good look before she was born, becuase it was as nice as it would ever look, and i was right.

i have a matching dresser and crib, and bought an additional white crib to match when charlie was born,but honestly at this point i dont care what is in the room as long as its functional. The kids only play in their room and sleep. we dont entertain.

And.....matchy matchy is not "in style" now. If you ever watch decorating shows, they NEVER have 2 peices from the same set in any room. They have similar colors, coordinating colors, ect, but never matching. So just keep that in mind.

For mac i bought a 400 dollar crib, with charlie i bought him a 150 one, and in all honesty his has held up better over the years of use. She actually jumped too hard in hers and cracked the frame, so DH had to completely take it apart to fix it. Some cribs turn into convertibles, but i never use mine past a toddler bed.
January 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like matching furniture. I will either get a black or white crib. Not sure which. A cheaper Walmart one. And then I think I will get a matching dresser at ikea. I don't do changing tables so I will not get one. The more I google baby nurseries the more I like white.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
January 6th, 2012, 06:47 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine doesn't match and it drives me nuts. LOL (I got the crib for Devin, in a honey wood color, planning to do the nursery furniture like that, but then I got the dresser for Kate years later and I wanted her stuff to be all white, so now I have one honey wood and one white). It doesn't bug me enough to DO anything about it, but I still wish the crib was white.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
January 6th, 2012, 08:03 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Toryn was the only one I got to do a real nursery with. Her's matched and was all white. Jax isn't getting that luxury and I doubt he will care lol! From experience I would go with a dresser that will last. Or, go cheaper now and in 4-5 years buy them a nice bedroom suite that will last them thru the years. That is what Toryns dad did for her.
January 6th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I could not ask for more.
I have a dark cherry dresser/changing table from Aiden's nursery that I'll be keeping. His crib is illegal now with the drop down side so we threw it out. We will be trying to match as much as possible to the cherry wood. I have a piece of the crib that I'll take with me to store when looking for a crib to hopefully match it. I like matching furniture. Lol!

January 6th, 2012, 09:29 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
sounds like either way you go it won't be the end of the world, so it is up to you. I got all espresso colored furniture for DS room and will be using the same stuff for this little one. I really liked it and they all matched pretty well considering they all came from different stores.

January 6th, 2012, 09:46 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I like painted pieces if you are going to mismatch. I am too ocd for mismatched wood colors.

January 7th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We did all cherry with DS1. Now it really doesn't matter because the changing table/dresser is downstairs and the crib is upstairs. I would stay away from the darker colors, though, because if your baby chews on the crib (they probably will....) or it gets scratched one way or another, it really shows. Well, I guess if it's black you can just use a sharpie if it's not too deep (I do that on our dinning room chairs that have black wood on the backs. Otherwise, if the crib and dresser don't match, just put them on opposite sides of the room. Good luck deciding!
I know you said you have a list of what to buy when, but newborns really don't need cribs. We waited until DS1 was 3 months old to buy his.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

January 7th, 2012, 06:27 AM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
As mentioned above, mismatched furniture is in. By the time you get stuff on top of the dresser, it will take away from it. I don't think it will look bad.

Personally, I think I would paint the dresser. But, I've painted enough furniture that I'm not scare to. Give it a light sanding to knock off the gloss shine and you can brush or spray paint it. I like the idea of the dresser in cream with your dark crib.

Either way will be fine. If you don't really care, leave it. If you think it's gonna bother you, try painting it, before you spend the money on a new one.
January 7th, 2012, 08:10 AM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I ordered Kaiya's stuff online. The color does match, but it wasn't a complete set, the crib I liked was from a different set, and then I ordered a dresser and changing table in the same color but a different set. They all go together nicely. I wouldn't be able to have different colored furniture...but I'm wicked OCD!!

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
January 7th, 2012, 12:44 PM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I stressing about this right now too. We have Mckenzies furniture/crib in an off white color and it's kind of girly IMO. I think I have decided to just use the crib, which is more neutral and have her keep the dresser. We are going to get her a new bed to hopefully match her dresser and buy this little boy a new dresser in a wood color. But I think the wood dresser and cream crib is going to be an issue for me! I keep trying to tell myself that it will only be for a few years and then he will get a new bed too.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

January 9th, 2012, 11:02 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well we got a good deal on a dark colored crib and now that I see it in the room I really don't think I am going to care about it being a different color. There is a white rocker in the room too..and honestly it looks fine! I got a bright colored bedding set with all sorts of colors so it helps blend it all really well...though honestly I am not crazy about the set...I may have to get a new one ( this one was used)
January 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad your babies room is coming together. i'm sure it looks wonderful.

We are trying to buy furniture that will convert to a toddler bed and then to a full size bed so baby boy will be able to use it for many years to come. that's what we did with Jackson and I love his furniture.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search